IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

South Florida Palm Society Fall Sale Nov. 3rd, 4th

Palmarum

- 1:23PM: After visiting a few more vendors, I made my way back to the booth via Jody Haynes' (#91) selection of cycads. He had quite a few to look at including this hybrid Encephalartos horridus X arenarius.

2007-11-04_14-23-54.jpg

- A very large and pot-bound Encephalartos altensteinii. It had a few years on it.

2007-11-04_14-24-24.jpg

- 1:40PM: The art and book vendors saw a fair share of both sale goers and garden patrons throughout the weekend. They had to walk past them to get to the plant vendors. I didn't get to talk to them that much during the sale, so I do not know how well they were selling.

2007-11-04_14-40-50.jpg

- 1:41PM: Hal Moore's Palm Prints have been seen on the walls of palm fanatic's homes and t-shirts for years. Many of them are easily recognizable.

2007-11-04_14-41-16.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:41PM: The third tent over featured the artwork of vendor #84 and Forum member Linda Apriletti (Linda Apriletti). The enthusiasm of fellow palm fanatics and her lifetime of art appreciation inspires much of her work. She will also do commission work if a customer happens to have a particular idea in mind.

2007-11-04_14-41-30.jpg

- 1:42PM: Linda in action, with paintbrush in hand and image in mind. She often paints at palm events, creating a work of art while selling completed ones. The overlook area is being put to canvas as a garden patron enjoys their picnic in front of her easel.

2007-11-04_14-42-42.jpg

- 1:45PM: She becomes very involved with every brush stroke as her level of concentration can be seen.

2007-11-04_14-45-54.jpg

- 2:29PM: Late afternoon shadows creep across the front of the register tents as the sale begins to wind on down. There was still two hours left in the sale and some customers as well as vendors were making some buys.

2007-11-04_15-29-18.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:29PM: There was going to be some heavy loading to do in a few hours as a lot of plants were going back.

2007-11-04_15-29-54.jpg

- 3:09PM: Vendor #31 Albert Livingston carts one of his purchases back to his booth. Much of the late Sunday sales are between vendors, it seems to be a constant of plant sales in general.

2007-11-04_16-09-00.jpg

- 3:14PM: While looking through our neighbor's booth for some last minute ideas, I came across the Forum's own Will DeBoe (PiousPalms). He had arrived late on Sunday also looking for some end-of-sale deals. Those strawberry fruit bars, of which one he is enjoying, are quite good.

2007-11-04_16-14-20.jpg

- 3:15PM: Will figured a photo of him next to a particularly favorite species of his, Areca vestiaria, would make for a better photo. Franco D'Ascanio's (#40) plants made for a good backdrop. I think Will was considering getting the Pseudophoenix ekmanii that was in that cart...

2007-11-04_16-15-02.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 4:27PM: Three minutes remained in the sale and the vendors, with their trucks at the ready, await the time to come on in. I always refer to the striking of the booths as a "well organized, chaotic circus". You have to see it first hand to really appreciate the act. Since we are packing our booth as well, I could not take photos at the same time.

2007-11-04_16-27-56.jpg

- 4:29PM: On the right, a few customers take their last load to the registers as the first vendor to get inside steers his truck down the path towards his booth. SFPS Director Lenny Goldstein begins to pack up everything as FM. Will DeBoe (PiousPalms) picks out some sample seed.

2007-11-04_16-29-34.jpg

- 5:28PM: After a rather quick loading time of fifty-five minutes, Jeff's booth was packed and ready to go. I was asked to photograph a few things before I left, so while I was walking over to do so, I came across vendor #66, Ron Croci packing his truck. Thanks in part to the recent time change, the sun was going down in a hurry earlier than usual.

2007-11-04_17-28-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 5:28PM: The SFPS Board of Directors needed a few photos of the bench they donated in honor of the late Teddy Buhler. They had just received the teak bench and had yet to find a location in the garden for it.

2007-11-04_17-28-34.jpg

- 5:29PM: The bench will hopefully inform garden patrons of the incredible person it was made for in years to come.

2007-11-04_17-29-14.jpg

--<

This was the last photo from Sunday and the conclusion of the SFPS Fall Sale. The topic Dick Douglas (PalmGuyWC) started in the Main sub-forum about the sale covered the majority of how people thought about it. The opinion of the customers was similar to that of vendors, many plants, few buyers. There was no shortage of palms, not by a long shot. I enjoyed the sale like always, and many others did as well. There were a few surprises, in addition to Jeff's birthday party. The meeting of some well traveled Forum members was quite a delight, as is meeting anyone from the Forum who is into palms in a big way. To see the participation of certain old school vendors, who had not done a palm sale in many years, was an added bonus. The weather was phenomenal, it could not have been better. I am looking forward to attending the Spring Sale as it will be back at the Montgomery Botanical Center and I hope many of you will make it as well.

The events that have begun to unfold regarding the upcoming Spring sale season will be interesting to say the least. Fairchild has been planning a large scale, palm related event to take place in or around the months of March and April of next year. They have been tentatively calling it "Palmfest" and it will involve a large palm sale, tours, speakers and other events. It might be held very close in time proximity to the SFPS Spring Sale at Montgomery. This has resulted in a new wave of questions on how this will effect vendors. Do vendors try to do both sales, or do they have to choose between them? This will be an even bigger question if both events are the same weekend. If one vendor does one sale and not the other, will it create friction? Will the Fairchild event involve the SFPS in any way? The list of vendors the SFPS employs in creating it's sales is extensive and has been made painstakingly over many years. This list is well known as you just need to consistingly attend sales to learn vendors. When Fairchild decides to invite vendors to their "Palmfest" will they use the SFPS list of vendors, or use their own? Fairchild's event will also be supported by the full bulk of the garden's advertising power, which consists of their massive membership and general advertisement budget. Fairchild has also mentioned this possibly becoming an annual event. I think this is just the beginning, as more questions and concerns will pop up over the winter time. In any case, the following spring will be a bumpy ride.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan, Once again, I would like to thank you for your outstanding coverage of the Fairchild Event and all the other surprises!Everyone on this Board knows how  time consuming this production was for you but it was masterful and will be here for all to see forever.Thank you.

What you look for is what is looking

Ryan,

Thanks for posting the pictures and comments.  We don't attend the sale since it was moved to the Lowlands - even though it wasn't held there this year.  It is also on the same weekend as the Mounts Fall Sale, which we do attend.  

Sorry to hear that Fairchild is thinking of doing their own palm sale.  I think that is a mistake.  It may turn out to be like the ramble - the vendors have to give 40% to Fairchild.  In order to make it worthwhile, we would need to increase our prices by 40%.  I just can't see people paying that kind of money, after paying to get in!  But you are right - Fairchild has a huge endowment and tons of members who don't ever come to the garden.  They just donate money for a tax deduction.  The last time I was there it was like being at a Disneyworld attraction - you have to enter through the gift shop!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Ryan,

Ditto on what others say about your photog skills.  Nobody documents an event better.  I always enjoy connecting names with faces.

Also, ditto what Kitty said.  There are only so many weekends to have an event, and there are only so many vendors.  My organization (The Friends of the Deerfield Beach Arboretum) runs a small one day plant sale in April and we have to fit it between all the other sales where vendors are available.  If a bigger sale comes up, the vendors all go there so we have to scramble for a different date.  So far we have done pretty well for the last several years.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Ryan--

I concur with others about your photography and documenting skills. You've got great promise as a photo-journalist somewhere!

The Ramble was, indeed, like Disneyland--too much to do and see, not enough time or money. Lot's of people there, but most vendors, at least in the TFTS area, were disappointed by sales this year. A good time to see lots of friends and plants, but I'll have to think hard about what or whether I sell next year.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I have not been to a Fairchild Ramble in almost 20 years.  At that time it seemed to me to be more of a social event and plants were secondary.  The plant selection was not great and neither were the prices.  Maybe it has gotten better since rhen, but I never attended since.  The best sales are put on by societies as are the social events.  IMO, the Fairchild Ramble is primarily a fundraiser and PR event with a plant element as opposed to just the opposite with society sponsored sales.  The ultimate expression of a Fairchild event was that auction that Ryan documented so well.  It was great for the garden but the prices were outrageous and it catered to an exclusive crowd.

Geraldo

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

I definately wanted that P. ekmanii...  The owner said it was not for sale 3 times, so I chilled out. :cool:  It was definately an awesome sight!  I still can't get over it not taking a ribbon!  

Ryan, thanks for taking and posting all the event pics!  Someday I'm gonna learn how to be photogenic! :P

That Pseudophoenix ekmanii did have a sale tag on it, on Friday evening. I saw it during the Members Party but it was taken off sometime Saturday morning. Somebody still could have bought it if they were fast enough.

Ryan

South Florida

(Palmarum @ Nov. 23 2007,12:53)

That Pseudophoenix ekmanii did have a sale tag on it, on Friday evening. I saw it during the Members Party but it was taken off sometime Saturday morning. Somebody still could have bought it if they were fast enough.

Ryan

I heard it went for about a thousand dollars....good price if you account for 27 years of growing.. lol !!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Nov. 23 2007,21:07)

Ryan

I heard it went for about a thousand dollars....good price if you account for 27 years of growing.. lol !!

Somebody has to have deep pockets to buy that. But if you do, hey great. But just think of all the other palms you could buy if you devided up the money some.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 25 2007,07:45)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Nov. 23 2007,21:07)

Ryan

Somebody has to have deep pockets to buy that. But if you do, hey great. But just think of all the other palms you could buy if you devided up the money some.

Jeff

Jeff, I think of it as a "Timeclock purchase" on that one (and many) if you have the time and patientence to wait 25 years to get one waist high and maybe another 10 to get it to eye level, save your money.  Otherwise, not bad.

I try to think what size the palm will be in 5 years or if it will be available again, if plentiful, or fast, then I go for the "cheaper stuff".

Of course I fail alot..... :blush:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(PiousPalms @ Nov. 25 2007,15:38)

Doesn't that palm really start to pick up speed once it has got a foot of trunk or so?  Judging by the leaf scars it appears so...  Anyone know? ???

Judging by the pics I've seen, I agree. Should take 30-35 years..... wait for it..... its coming...don't blink... lol  :laugh:

I just wanted to comment on the discussion from a number of members on this Forum about the "elitist" attitude presented by Fairchild.This all may be true but the incredible beauty and diversity of this world-class garden should not cause palm enthusiasts from visiting it.If the bookstore and other areas have become burdensome,just go and hang out in the garden and focus on the palms not the people.Fairchild is too much of an asset not to be supported by all of us interested in palms.

Bubba,

You have a good point and I must agree with you.  But, you see, I cannot be happy unless there is something for me to be unhappy about.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

(Jerry@TreeZoo @ Nov. 26 2007,12:38)

Bubba,

You have a good point and I must agree with you.  But, you see, I cannot be happy unless there is something for me to be unhappy about.

Jerry

Jerry,

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Bubba,

A very good point made. When the Chuhuly ( spelled corectly?)exhibit comes, I just don't bother looking at it. It really dosen't interest me.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jerry/Jeff, You are both gentlemen and scholars!It is disappointing that the organization has become tooty and you guys are the professionals that see it at a diferent level. To me,however, the one hour drive to those palms is worth it whether I am forced to deal with some attitude or not.