IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

South Florida Palm Society Fall Sale Nov. 3rd, 4th

Palmarum

South Florida Palm Society's Fall Sale

November 3rd & 4th, 2007

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

A quick notice to get it mentioned on the calendar. If you need information or will be attending the sale, please post away. If you are coming, please come visit all the booths and say hello to everyone. There should be quite a few Forum members there that weekend, both selling and visiting.

Ryan

South Florida

Regarding the brochure that is handed out at the sale that lists the growers and what they have to offer, is that list available in advance?  Looking forward to seeing you all there...  but what's with tropical storm Noel?  I hope it fizzles...

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

If Noel is still around on Nov.3,2007, we are in a world of hurt!(just kidding)Looking forward to the sale and would love to see a list of items posted before the sale.

What you look for is what is looking

Just checked Fairchild's garden calendar and there's no mention of times at all, just the dates and that it's at the amphitheater...

Maybe they're waiting for info from the Palm Society? Dunno...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

The garden opens at 9:30 am and I believe this is when the public will be allowed in.

As far as the list of palms, the booklet is only ready when the gates open on Saturday morning. We (the vendors) will keep you waiting in anticipation right up until the last minute........ :D  The running around and looking for those special palms is what makes it so exciting.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Can someone please confirm the start time...in the past it has been 9...despite the 930 regular garden hours

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

(waykoolplantz @ Oct. 29 2007,09:22)

Can someone please confirm the start time...in the past it has been 9...despite the 930 regular garden hours

I sent an email to Martha Kent at Fairchild to confirm the start time. I'll post as soon as I hear something.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Creekside · Posted on Oct. 29 2007,06:51

Regarding the brochure that is handed out at the sale that lists the growers and what they have to offer, is that list available in advance?  Looking forward to seeing you all there...  but what's with tropical storm Noel?  I hope it fizzles...

The sale booklet usually is only ready on the morning of Saturday, like how Jeff had mentioned. If by chance on Thursday or Friday I can get a hold of a booklet I will try to scan it and post it. No guarantees though. What ever Noel will do, should happen by Wednesday evening. It will just be a lot of rain though, during the week. It should lose some of its energy going over Cuba.

Ryan

South Florida

(waykoolplantz @ Oct. 29 2007,09:22)

I just thought most people that I know........walk up to the gate and proudly say"I am a volunteer" in Jeff's booth, #57.  :D  I know it has worked in the past for some. :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I just called the garden and talked to Patty, she said for the upcoming Palm Sale, it opens at 9:30 for everyone, including garden members. She said that for the Ramble, garden members may enter at 9:00, but it is not in effect for the Palm Sale. Some have gotten in early mentioning they are a society volunteer, but it depends on who is working which gate.

Ryan

South Florida

This sale has cost me millions of dollars over the years since 1989. But, just as in years past, I can't wait to purchase palms that I have no idea where to plant. !!!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

I just received the "The Palm Report" in the mail this morning. And I was surprised to see the vendor's list of palms that will be offered this weekend at the sale. I will let Ryan know, so that he can list here as soon as possible.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The sale begins at 9:30 and the Palm Report should have arrived by now. We have 30 vendors signed up for the event and it sounds like everyone has a lot of cool stuff they are bringing. The vendor/plant list is included in the Palm Report issues sent out to members who are current with their membership. Membership does have it's privileges.   :)  

On Friday, November 2nd at 6:00 PM, members are invited to the judging and awards ceremony. Please come and preview the palms and cycads offered for sale and have a cocktail with a bunch of palm addicts. The evening show will be in the amphitheater and will last until 8:00PM.

Please stop by my booth (#80) and introduce yourself to me. I have followed many of your threads and would like to meet the people I read about.

:(

Thanks for confirming the start time...which was NOT included with my Palm Report.

Neither the Plant nor Vendor list was included either !!

Too much grog for the crew ??

Ryan...help !!

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

PiousPalms · Posted on Oct. 30 2007,15:45

I'm considering not going this weekend...  It's my first weekend in a long time where I have nothing planned and didn't wanna commit myself to anything...

Bill, If you can make it, don't forget your PiousPalms t-shirt. I am sure it will work at this sale, as it did at Palm Beach.

waykoolplantz · Posted on Nov. 01 2007,05:01

:( Thanks for confirming the start time...which was NOT included with my Palm Report.

Neither the Plant nor Vendor list was included either !!

Too much grog for the crew ??

Ryan...help !!

I will get a copy of the booklet today and will post it tonight sometime.

Ryan

South Florida

There has been a last-minute change of venue for the sale this weekend. Due to a large amount of rainfall at the garden, the sales area has been moved from the Amphitheater field back up to the original sales area in the Palmetum. This area would be very familiar to anyone who has attended SF palm sales in the past. The Amphitheater got flooded to the point where it had become a mud pit. The weather for this weekend looks stellar. Noel is going, going gone and the High that is pushing through will provide some awesome weather this weekend.  There are 30 vendors in the sale and the spread of palms has begun to look amazing. After the first day of set-up, there are some booths that are already packed full. There will be more tomorrow before the Members Preview Event.

- The Sales Booklet. I was able to borrow a copy today and get it scanned.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Part 4 of 4... Page 27 contains a map of the sales area as how it was in the Amphitheater, so disregard it. The booths will have signs in front to help locate vendors and in addition, just ask a vendor or volunteer for location info.

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

scan0015.jpg

scan0016.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A few photos of the sales area during the set-up on Thursday. The front of the sales area looking towards the back. Our tables are awaiting their placement as Jeff and I figure out the arrangement of the new booth.

2007-11-01_11-56-50.jpg

- The #57 booth in the middle of the design process. As you can see on some of the palms, it was quite windy at times.

2007-11-01_12-53-12.jpg

- The main road of the sales area on its way to the back. Some of the booths see one or two loads worth of palms already.

2007-11-01_12-55-12.jpg

- Susan Casey's (#26) booth located near where Jeff's old, original booth was years before.

2007-11-01_12-55-50.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The area around the Rainforest Cafe' gets hit by a gust of wind, thanks to TS Noel. The Sapodilla, Manilkara zapota gets blown around a bit.

2007-11-01_13-08-48.jpg

- Jeff and I take a brief tour of the Rare Plant House before we left for the day. Jeff is taking a look at the Zamia obliqua while the Salacca magnifica guards the walkway.

2007-11-01_13-11-18.jpg

- Guess the price tag on this palm. The Double Coconut, Lodoicea maldivica, of the lower level has shown some good growth over the past year.

2007-11-01_13-23-32.jpg

- The same Licuala mapu that was photographed earlier in the week by Forum member Gene (Gbarce). It has some great color and it makes me enjoy mine even more. Even if it hasn't been able to set seed yet.

2007-11-01_13-25-22.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Metroxylon warbursii !??!!??!  I gotta get me one of those warbursii's!  :;):   Not that I would ever have a typo on Palmtalk anywhere!  :laugh:

Thanks for posting the vendor list Ryan...  For whatever reason I've never been able to get the SFPS publication delivered to me.

Weather has cleared up nicely. Thanks for posting the list Ryan

I have about 10 things i need from Jeff Searle.Ron Crocci ..& Claude Roatta....EACH  !! and Mike Harris is bringing me something special

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

- What you don't want to see after a long road trip. At least it was a tandem trailer.

2007-11-02_11-04-08.jpg

- Photos from Friday afternoon and the Friday night Members Party near the sales area. Visiting the sale while wearing his trademark hat is Murray Corman on the left. He is talking with vendor and Forum member Faith Bishock (budrot) while she sets up her booth.

2007-11-02_17-29-06.jpg

- In the center is vendor Ken St. Germain and he is introducing a relative to another vendor, Carol Graff.

2007-11-02_17-31-24.jpg

- While doing some early window shopping, I made it into Ken St Germain's booth and saw some very good material, including this Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda.

2007-11-02_17-35-04.jpg

There is literally tons of material for sale this weekend. Many of the 30 or so booths are packed full and you can not see through them.

Ryan

South Florida

- 5:37 PM: A ready-to-plant Encephalartos ferox male plant, featuring a cone that is in the process of shedding pollen.

2007-11-02_17-37-20.jpg

- Susan Casey's #26 booth with some portable Cuban Royal Palms, Roystonea regia.

2007-11-02_17-38-22.jpg

- One of the largest Pseudophoenix ekmanii ever seen in a pot and it was featured in the booth belonging to vendor #40, Franco D'Ascanio. It was entered in the show, but surprisingly did not win a ribbon.

2007-11-02_17-41-18.jpg

- Another shot was warranted. Just look at this thing! I forgot to include a scale object in the photo, but I will gladly photograph it again tomorrow.

2007-11-02_17-41-48.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 5:43PM: The members evening party is underway as more members begin to show up. It took place in the paved area across from the Rainforest Cafe'.

2007-11-02_17-43-32.jpg

- Artist, vendor and Forum member Linda Talbott (Linda Apriletti) opens another bottle of wine as the party picks up.

2007-11-02_17-44-16.jpg

- On the left, veteran vendors (#29) Shirley & Ziggy Mayotte discuss all sorts of things with Murray Corman and Jeff Searle. In the background, to the left, Forum member Ken Johnson (Ken Johnson) describes to another member how big the catch was.

2007-11-02_17-47-00.jpg

- 6:00PM: The party is well underway as members find their way to the umbrellas and dive into the food spread. Ken Johnson turns at the right moment while he sat at the table in the center.

2007-11-02_18-00-38.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

(Palmarum @ Nov. 02 2007,21:51)

2007-11-02_17-41-48.jpg

I knew it, I knew it!  Look at that pot!  :D  It's full of a medium like my Carribean mix!  Yeehaw!  I did something right! :cool:

Now if I just don't kill any more of them... :laugh:

Great sale...picked up quite a few of what i was looking for...

pigafetta elate

hydriastele cylindrocarpa

dypsis forficifolia & pusilla

euterpe longebracteata

brahea edulis

sabal yapa

cocothrinax guantanenensis

gaussia princeps

licuala valida

ravenea louvell

syagrus glaucescens

raphis robusta

plus duplicates of a few things that looked too good to pass by...esp a arenga brevepies fom Jeff Searle

Not all sucessfull...as once again Ron Crocci brought none of the 10 palms listed in the sale brochure  I wanted...so i guess i got off relatively cheap

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

almost forgot...got a Nypa from Faith...well grown ( a little voice said 'plant me...i'll grow' )  

the last one i tried got mowed over by the lawn service...for which they were fired !!

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I believe Pseudophoenix grows faster in containers.  Call me crazy.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Attended the Fairchild Sale on November 4,2007 and what an event. I know there are numerous incredible gardens throughout the State of Florida but this is definitely the Big Enchilada.This sale was organized precisely and I had the opportunity to meet Jeff Searle  and Ryan.By the way, Jeff was the only vendor to have signs for his Palms and the only vendor to have the featured palm(Galupia costata). I was running my mouth with Ryan and Jeff,when I noticed my to be purchase was gone! You have to be very quick and attentive or you are out of luck! As you walk through this incredible garden, it is very difficult to concentrate as you are looking at 20 foot Licuala grandis and 50 foot Copernicia bailyana. To really do this garden, it would probably take a full week.Thank you to Fairchild and all parties responsible for this event.

What you look for is what is looking

I didn't have any cash to throw around at the sale this year...  I am saving for a huge Areca vestiaria var. maroon leaf to put in the ground at my townhouse...  Fortunately, The SFPS was good enough to spread their collection!  I got 6 Acrocomia aculeata, 22 Coccothrinax crinita, and 25 Hyphaene coriacea

:cool:

My score!

DSC01073.jpg

Acrocomia is one evil palm....the only thing i did not replace after Wilma...damn 8" spines went through my shoe

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Ugh, doesn't look like I will be growing any of the Macaw Palms...  I just threw the seeds at a wall to break the shell and they are full of bugs! :angry: :angry:  Oh well!  The Old Man's and the iLala's are fresh, fruit is still moist on them...  Surely they will germ and grow!! :)

Myself and others had a great time at the Fall Sale. There were many plants to shop for, friends to talk palms with and Forum members who came to visit. I had taken quite a few photos and it became too many to post each night so I will continue from the Friday Night Members Party.

bubba · Posted on Nov. 05 2007,09:05

Attended the Fairchild Sale on November 4,2007 and what an event. I know there are numerous incredible gardens throughout the State of Florida but this is definitely the Big Enchilada.This sale was organized precisely and I had the opportunity to meet Jeff Searle  and Ryan...

The feeling was mutual Keith, it was great to have been able to finally meet you, your friend you were trying to get on the Forum and Peter Broberg (sur4z). I had felt bad since I was not able to meet you at the Palm Beach Fall Sale, even though we had probably walked past each other a dozen times.

- 6:06PM: It had gotten completly dark at this point, so many vendors had surrendered their booths to the night and joined the party. Many of Fairchild's staff members who were not able to attend the sale, had come to the party. In the center of the photo is Christie Jones, Fairchild TB Garden's Curator of Palms & Cycads.

2007-11-02_18-06-04.jpg

- Since the party is also an excuse to preview the sale, I took a short break from the party to look through some of the booths. This photo shows how dark it was at Fairchild. It is unique to be able to walk the grounds at night, but you will need a flashlight.

2007-11-02_18-12-00.jpg

- One of the plants entered in the show. A large and well grown Talipot Palm, Corypha umbraculifera brought to the sale by vendor #4 Bill Olson.

2007-11-02_18-13-20.jpg

- A popular night time subject, Kerriodoxa elegans showcased in the booth belonging to vendor #66 Ron Croci.

2007-11-02_18-14-20.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:16PM: In the front of Ron Croci's booth stood a robust Carpoxylon macrospermum.

2007-11-02_18-16-18.jpg

- A few minutes later, SFPS Show Chairman, vendor #80 and Forum member Tim McKernan (Tim McKernan) began the presentation of show awards. Everyone had crowded around under the palms and umbrellas to hear who won what.

2007-11-02_18-23-10.jpg

- One of the first awards was for Best Pinnate Palm, which went to vendor #29 Shirley Mayotte for her Dypsis fasciculata.

2007-11-02_18-24-46.jpg

- The next awarded palm was Nypa fruticans which belonged to vendor #50 Faith Bishock (budrot). The Mangrove Palm she entered won Most Unusual Palm.

2007-11-02_18-25-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida