IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Sunshine Bush"

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Bought these two bushes on a lark a couple of years ago, and they've bloomed dependably each fall, nice and green the rest of the year.

Here's a pic in the sunshine this morning:

post-208-1193600308_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a closeup.  The Shoe is an American size 13, about 12" (30 cm) long.

post-208-1193600377_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's another view, from the window of my Lower Living Room.

Note the Roystonea right next to the Cassias, and the newly-repotted Hyphorbes.

post-208-1193600456_thumb.jpg

Dave--

It's Senna bicapsularis. It's the light yellow form, though I can't remember the cultivar name, maybe 'Moonbeam' or 'Lemon Drop' or??

Despite it being one of the better bloomers for SoCal, it's curiously absent in the latest edition of Sunset Western Garden Book...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

yes. Mine is going off right now. It is a pretty spectacular shrub when it gets all big and showy. It grows at a pretty fast rate too. The only drawback I think it has is the usually drops all the leaves on the lower branches with all the leaves and the flowers on top.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The only other drawback with it is that it escapes cultivation easily in SoFla. Just saw a canal lined with it along Bridge Road in Hobe Sound, FL (Martin Co) last weekend. Colorful, but...I don't think it's a restricted plant here (yet), but it does need to be watched carefully here.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Dave-

Thanks for this timely post.  I have the same plant (only with darker yellow blooms) and wondered exactly what it was.  It too is blooming like mad this time of year.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(fastfeat @ Oct. 28 2007,17:46)

The only other drawback with it is that it escapes cultivation easily in SoFla. Just saw a canal lined with it along Bridge Road in Hobe Sound, FL (Martin Co) last weekend. Colorful, but...I don't think it's a restricted plant here (yet), but it does need to be watched carefully here.

I have about 10 of these plants in my yard. I love them.  While they do not 'escape' here in SoCal, they are weed factories. Every year I pull about 10 - 20 babies from under the mother plant.

With careful pruning, these can make great plants. If not taken care of, they get real leggy in some areas but too crowded in others. I have one I am training into a single trunk tree. It is about 12 feet tall right now.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

At my folks place in Laguna Hills, I had S. corymbosa and S. candolleana, both similar in habit to S. bicapsularis. The two species hybridized easily, and the resulting hybrids were even more vigorous growers than either parent. Due to large numbers of ground squirrels collecting and burying the seedpods, I too had a small, but colorful, "weedpatch", lending to my early nursery name there of Senna Hill...

_____

(Dave from So-Cal @ Oct. 28 2007,14:40)

Here's another view, from the window of my Lower Living Room.

Note the Roystonea right next to the Cassias, and the newly-repotted Hyphorbes.

Dave,

I'm a little more concerned with those palms in the pots sitting there, with big beautiful weeds in them. Can we not plant them somewhere this weekend in the yard? :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Senna didymobotrya, the Pocorn Bush, is a much better behaved shrub and it flowers during the warmer months. at times the foliage smells like buttered popcorn, not a good thing to have in the garden if on a diet;

IMG_0197.jpg

e6c8.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have never been a fan of Senna didymobotrya. It has too much of a 'weedy' look to me.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Eric--

Don't know what brand of popcorn you eat, but to me, the foliage of S. didymobotrya (and S. alata) smells more like s*^t... :P

Len--

S. didymobotrya is a species that will escape and become a pest in SoCal.

_____

(LJG @ Oct. 29 2007,21:33)

I have never been a fan of Senna didymobotrya. It has too much of a 'weedy' look to me.

i got some seeds of that plant from jmusic!

its safer than stopping on the freeway! :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(pohonkelapa @ Oct. 30 2007,00:54)

(LJG @ Oct. 29 2007,21:33)

i got some seeds of that plant from jmusic!

its safer than stopping on the freeway! :D

Yeah, safer for whom? Not your wallet... :D

Hopefully Phil paid you at least minimum wage for doing weed abatement... :D

_____

(epicure3 @ Oct. 28 2007,16:41)

yes. Mine is going off right now.

???

That would be great for the hill behind my house.

Dave - the Hyphorbes looks nice. Another I wish I could grow here.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(fastfeat @ Oct. 29 2007,21:48)

Eric--

Don't know what brand of popcorn you eat, but to me, the foliage of S. didymobotrya (and S. alata) smells more like s*^t... :P

Len--

LOL!. I agree, that S. alata has a funky smell. I have heard others say that S. didymobotrya smells too but ours have never had a bad smell, just the popcorn scent. There are times that there is no scent at all and others you can smell it walking by. Most of the time you have to pick some leaves and crush them a little to get the scent. Maybe there are different strains. I always wondered about this with Rangoon Creeper, Quisqualis indica. "Old" plants that have been in landscapes for decades seem to have a nice strawbwerry scent to the flowers. Now it seems the ones sold in the trade in the last 10 years or so have a musky almost unpleasant scent.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(Eric in Orlando @ Oct. 30 2007,07:21)

(fastfeat @ Oct. 29 2007,21:48)

Eric--

Len--

LOL!. I agree, that S. alata has a funky smell. I have heard others say that S. didymobotrya smells too but ours have never had a bad smell, just the popcorn scent. There are times that there is no scent at all and others you can smell it walking by. Most of the time you have to pick some leaves and crush them a little to get the scent. Maybe there are different strains. I always wondered about this with Rangoon Creeper, Quisqualis indica. "Old" plants that have been in landscapes for decades seem to have a nice strawbwerry scent to the flowers. Now it seems the ones sold in the trade in the last 10 years or so have a musky almost unpleasant scent.

Seems like most Senna species have the "smell" in varying degrees; I assume it's probably the same compound(s) present. It wouldn't surprise me if there's some genetic variability in the amount present.

I haven't gotten too close to S. didymobotrya for years, ever since I crashed into a clump years ago in CA to collect seed. Like with poison oak/ivy (or playing with razor blades), I haven't wanted to try it twice...

_____