IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms on fire

happ

(pohonkelapa @ Oct. 22 2007,20:18)

thanks for updating us,bill.

I don't know if people don't like it or not. I am the sort that would like to know about fellow friends troubles, even if I can't do something about it at that time.

So I am More than willing to update and pass on info.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This is from an article I was reading online from AP:

"Wildfires blown by fierce desert winds Monday reduced hundreds of Southern California homes to ashes, forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee and laid a hellish, spidery pattern of luminous orange over the drought-stricken region.

At least one person was killed and dozens were injured. At least 655 homes burned — about 130 in one mountain area alone — and 168 businesses and other structures were destroyed. Thousands of other buildings were threatened by more than a dozen blazes covering at least 520 square miles."

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Sounds pretty accurate really.  :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Only one death.

Okay, I know, if it's you it sucks, and it still sucks, but there are few pisser-pozzies that can't get multiple orders of magnitude worse.

Praying . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(BS, Man about Palms @ Oct. 22 2007,23:52)

(pohonkelapa @ Oct. 22 2007,20:18)

thanks for updating us,bill.

I don't know if people don't like it or not. I am the sort that would like to know about fellow friends troubles, even if I can't do something about it at that time.

So I am More than willing to update and pass on info.

you are good at it,actually.a natural-born "up-dater".

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Just heard the latest size update for the Witch creek fire alone.

Take this in, realise this fire is not yet 24 hrs old!

It is 36 miles long and 18 miles wide.  Currently  estimated at 145,000 acres.

Lord, 24-36 hours to go.  

Yikes

As Dave would say.

Bill - Have the fire crews efforts scaled back because it's night? Or are they going at full speed? That's enormous! :o

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

the fire in the south isn't getting much coverage on the channel i'm watching but i just talked to mattyb & he estimates its 2-3 miles away from his place.

still "warning-free."

How are the winds?

Here at work on Wilshire - it's totally calm. But I know when I get back home it'll be bad.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Bill, and everybody else, thanks for the updates. This is unbelievable - seems like there are fires all over the place, north and south and east. I don't understand where all these people, who are facing mandatory evacuation, are going!? Must be hundreds of thousands? And exactly where's Witch Creek, and what communities are threatened by that particular fire?

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Alamo update...

Winds are decreasing, but smokey as hell. Eyes are burning, but having been a smoker for 25 yrs, my lungs don't seem to care  :P

I have 12 souls with me here, all evacuated from RB area. No one knows the status of their homes, which is maddening. We're taking turns doing 2 hr shifts tonight. I doubt I'll be able to sleep, though. I've been working on this remodel since March, and I WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT !!!!

Wire cutters and tractor at the ready to make our escape through Camp Pendelton fence...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Tried to post a Google Earth shot...don't know how...

(Scott @ Oct. 22 2007,21:29)

Bill - Have the fire crews efforts scaled back because it's night? Or are they going at full speed? That's enormous! :o

Scott- the ground crews are going at it full force..... with whatever energy they have left.

Paul- The Harris fire is burning almost straight east from Otay Lake and it would be pretty hard for the fire to turn North with those winds and head towards Matty.  The Puetz Valley Cedar fire stands a better chance at this point, but currently nothing appears to be "upwind" of Matty.

Bo- Witch creek I believe is on the very North East end of Ramona...... Or, more accurately (I just looked) its roughly a couple miles west of Santa Ysabel (where SR78 and SR79 meet)                           Yes, thats a long drive from there to Rancho Santa Fe!

As for evacuation, currently Qualcomm stadium (site of past Super Bowl), Del Mar fairgrounds and many schools and shelters.  I heard an estimate that generally on 10% of a given area uses the shelters. The rest go to friends or hotels.

yeah,bill i kinda thought the same by looking at where

mattys place is on the map & which way the smoke/wind is travelling.

still "warning-free."

some fotos of what happen in san diego. in tijuana we only have the smoke but very bad.

post-285-1193123139_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

more fotos

post-285-1193123180_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

more fotos

post-285-1193123224_thumb.jpg

more fotos

post-285-1193123260_thumb.jpg

its possible these palms can live ?

post-285-1193123661_thumb.jpg

Gosh, we're all thinking about our SOCAL friends.  Stay safe.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

0030...four more evacuees arrive from another fire north of here. Now seeing orange glow from our fire over the hill.

As Shon mentioned earlier, My house and family are OK.

I had been helping friends earlier in the day until it sounded as if things were getting dicey near home. I personally feel fortunate, but distressed to know that some of our members will suffer substantial loses. My heart goes out to you all.

It will be several days before we know the extent of the damages, but surely they will be severe.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

0230...da pohleece came around blaring sirens and flashing lights. Told us it was a mandatory evacuation...but it was our call....huh?

Calm winds, no orange glow....we're staying for now.

All of you in southern California are in my prayers and thoughts.  I hope the damage is manageable and that you all are safe along with your friends and families.

Thanks for all the updates.  I think the fires are worse than the hurricanes.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Google Map by local public TV station

This is a pretty good overview.  Best wishes to all, today.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

In her book "Their Eyes Were Watching God", Zora Neale Hurston was speaking about the 1928 hurricane that devasted Lake O, she stated "They seemed to be staring at the dark, but their eyes were watching God."  I think this applies to all of you affected by these fires.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

This is unbelievably horrible and I pray for all the people in SoCal and especially the great people on this Board.

What you look for is what is looking

Does the same situation exist south of the border in Mexico ?

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I just got up and I see so far that Spring Valley is now under evacuation.  This is where Matty lives.  The only good news is that some officials said they are being overly cautios when calling for evacuations. They think that many times the fire may just barely reach a certain neighborhood.

Steve-  

Good for you, I see you are a stubborn old coot like I would be I suspect. You know what the pool is for then.  

Good Luck good sir, and Godspeed.

(Nigel @ Oct. 23 2007,06:20)

Does the same situation exist south of the border in Mexico ?

There are some places that have fires, but very little of the fires in the US have crossed to Mexico.  There may be some near Tecate

Sign on Sandiego says the evacuation area is from Jamacha Blvd eastward.  Matty's some distance to the west (on Helix).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

No real updates from me as much today as work has decided I should go clean some furnaces??  ???

Also noticed that today is the first day I have woken up to ash sitting on stuff outside.

Good luck to everyone out there affected or threatened by these fires. You are all in my prayers.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

0745....the flag is flying proud over the Alamo this a/m.

I've just been watching this nightmare on TV, and reading about it here is eerie. I saw a guy on TV interviewed by a reporter in SD called Steve. Was that you Steve? I hope all you guys in the area of the fires are OK. It's sad to hear that some have lost everything and even their palm collections. Some palms and cycads will survive fire OK though, especially the Oz arid stuff.

Take care everyone.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good to hear from you Steve, I was really worried.  :) Remain vigilant, friends say it's the little stuff that'll get you later -- embers on a wood fence or pile of debris, stuff like that.  Cheers to you.  Keep that bulldozer handy.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Way to go Steve!  Thanks for updating.  

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24