IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms on fire

happ

I spoke to Gary a second time.  He had built a "guest house" down the hill from his house, (mainly for his mom to use) it is/was? about 97% complete.  It had on ly one tree to the west of it in a fairly open area.  He's hoping thats still standing.  He said the Avocado grove was on fire when he left .  The trees are "above" his house and some trees are within 75 ft or so.

He said the "Winery" (I think a tiny local place, not open to the public) exploded early this morning and sent embers/ fire down the hill.

He saw Jerry Hunter (owner of Rancho Soledad Nursery)at the bottom of the Hill and Jerry thinKs his place is gone too. (near Garys) Both Places have/had some fine palm collections, but at this point all the people are safe.

Bo, also heard that Larry Himmels house of 25 years burned down and I think your last property was right near there.

The American Nursery Exchange that I work "very" part time at is in Rainbow near one of the fires is at. No reports there yet.  I think Dave/ Deez works up near there too.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My nephew's house is in Rancho de los Penasquitos downwind from Poway where several homes are destroyed.  Anyone know how bad it is there right now; I can't reach him or his wife  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ-Rancho Penasquitos is due south of Rancho Bernardo and is officially not in an evacuation zone, but that could change.

I meant to add that the Arnolds home where the last So Cal tour was at is in the path between Ramona and Rancho Bernardo, anyones guess how they fared.

Happ- does the link you have to the satellite images allow zooms?  I could pick out several spots to check.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Employees here (downtown SD) have the option to leave at 1:30 or do whatever is necessary.  Our manager and his family have evacuated their home, and several others live near the evacuation zones and are packing.

I hope Gary L.'s place isn't gone, that's awful to think about.

Gratefully, my home in Point Loma is far from danger.

The winds downtown appear to have shifted to light onshore breezes, judging by the flags.  That's a switch from this morning when a friend flew in from Argentina with a barf bag on his knees;  he said it was the bumpiest flight of his life coming into San Diego, flames visible in several places. :(

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Glad to hear the people are safe.

We can always plant and build anew.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My family and I are ready to go at the drop of a hat (or match). One of head guys on the news today said it was possible for this fire (the Witch Fire) to reach the coast. Evacuations are just on the other side of the 56 freeway from where I live.

It is just a really surreal environment.

I really hope Gary is ok.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

John - We all remember your wonderful hospitality, not to mention your beautiful garden. You're in our prayers.

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

The Harris fire is headed to Otay Ranch, Eastlake, Proctor Valley area.  I hope Patrick is safe in Bonita.  I hope the winds don't turn slightly more west towards Rancho San Diego 'cause that's a straight shot of dry brush over the hill to my house.  Watching the news.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Glad your OK too John-

I just heard a new Evac zone.   Basically where Mira mar lake and Scripps Ranch is.   a large part of the Cedar fire went thru there in 2003.

My stomach is in Knots for my friends,  I seem to be in a bliss area with blue sky above me, warm temps, slight breeze and lots smoke to the South and North.

Upon seeing an address of a house reported I looked it up on a map and saw that it was pretty near the Arnold's house that we just toured this Sept. w/ the PSSC.  The confirmed burned house is on the ridge line between Scott and Bill's head's.  Shon is on the right.

9-22-07-016.jpg

9-22-07-018.jpg

You can see the urban interface area here where the dry brush hills meet housing developments.  This is our situation here in SOCAL.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

toto- i believe there has been 1 death and quite a few injurys

from my house it dosent look as bad as the one from 03' i look outside and see blue skys. during the cedar fire i woke up to a burning inferno.  i guess it has to do with my location

hope everyone is okay

sd mannnn

plz ignore my awful grammar

apparently zone 9b or 10a i donno

If any out of towners want to keep an update, here is a link to ongoing coverage. (streaming if you click on it)

http://www.kusi.com/home/10720631.html

John Coleman is on duty now and gives good info when he's on.

Also heard ALL of Fallbrook is under evacuation now, this would be Steve in So Cal and Gary Wood, among others.

They're reporting now that this is worse than '03.  And we have another day of wind to go.  I'm watching the Harris fire creep up on Jamul, Rancho San Diego and Spring Valley.  Jamul is under evacuation but we've not heard anything yet.  Hopefully it's still a click south as not to hit us.  The SD Fire Cheif is saying that they've never seen the santa ana's so bad because the hot dry air is not stopping at the coasal areas, it's pushing straigh out to sea.  This is why the fires are making a push for the coast.  Winds have really picked up and are gusting from 20-30 mph even in unexposed areas.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I see Bruce Ironmonger posted, so theres one more check in.

Everything ok here. Blue skies above which is really wierd. Wall of smoke south of me. Everyone has been evacuated as close as a half mile but we have not. Fire seems to moving south. My heart goes out to Gary and his family and hoping for the best. Matty uncle Deano's is fine. Just picked up my son which is right down the street. Air is nasty though,just thick smoke and a red sun.

San Marcos CA

Good news Shon.  Take care.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Update from the Alamo...

Fire in Fallbrook heading this way, evacuation call was rcvd, but roads are jammed up. Would rather die defending the Alamo than cooked in a car. We're digging in...swimming pool is the 'chapel'

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Go for it Steve!   (I say this because I have a friend who managed to save his house in Harbison Canyon during the Cedar fire. Almost all the others perished.)

Just saw an updated evacuation map, a LARGE area.

Sadly, saw an updated "burn" map, which shows the area and path of the Witch creek fire, currently the largest in SD county.  

Gary's place looks to be dead center of the path.   :(

Steve - I'm watching Fallbrook from my upstairs deck. I know how bad the 76 through Fallbrook and Bonsall is, and Mission Road's no picnic. I'm praying for you and your family.

post-662-1193098945_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Just to add, I understand I-5 south between SR78 and SR56 is CLOSED

I just heard that Fallbrook is being evacuated through Camp P. to San Clemente.

I'm at the place in Oz but Suzi said she is OK with all the dogs loaded and leaving as she can see flames now.  

The fire is in Live Oak Park which is just on the outskirts of Fallbrook.

I'd say Irv McDaniel lost his house and cycad collection.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Bruce, good to hear your news I think.

(MattyB @ Oct. 22 2007,16:59)

Upon seeing an address of a house reported I looked it up on a map and saw that it was pretty near the Arnold's house that we just toured this Sept. w/ the PSSC.  The confirmed burned house is on the ridge line between Scott and Bill's head's.  Shon is on the right.

9-22-07-016.jpg

9-22-07-018.jpg

You can see the urban interface area here where the dry brush hills meet housing developments.  This is our situation here in SOCAL.

Everyminute TV news is about the bushfires in the Californian shore, San Diego, LA, San Bernardino etc. etc. places that i "know" by the californians of this forum, i hope that the fire finnish soon.-

Seeing this two pictures, im impressed how simmilar is that landscape showed with the foothills of the sierras of Cordoba near where i live.- Very simmilar landscape.-

Also an often bushfire focus.-

Best wishes to californians.

Gaston, Ar

This reminds me of an old 1968 Arthur Brown "Fire " song. Check him out on You Tube below.

Nelson

Nelson Kirk

Newark, Ca. Zone 17

Located between Oakland and San Jose

The big guy from Cal Fire (spelling?) sounded a little bit optimistic on KUSI just now. 33404271.jpg

Cloudesley Drive, Rancho Bernardo, San Diego County.  From the Los Angeles Times

San Diego Zoo reports that their Wild Animal Park seems out of harm's way for now.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

It is nighttime here now and most of the airial support that did manage to get up, will be landing soon.

Most of the winds pick up at night for some reason and with the fact that there are no real "spotters" in the air at night, (smoke, night, you get the picture) it remains to be seen what will happen as the night progresses.

Several homes in the east end of Rancho Santa Fe have lit.   They are making a big stand there Its only a few miles to the coast at that point and Del Mar. I believe I heard Solana Beach is under evacuation now.

Way North of us, I understand a lot of homes burned in the Lake Arrowhead area.

My prayers are with you all. I didn't realize it was that bad and many people are losing their homes. I hope it is over soon.

Nelson Kirk

Newark, Ca. Zone 17

Located between Oakland and San Jose

This is really gone from bad to worst. I wish you all the best and property damage is minimal.  :(

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill - on may way to work at 2PM they were reporting over 100 homes in Lake Arrowhead lost. 25 lost in Canyon Country in my direction. I haven't heard about the Ontario, Irvine, or SD fires.

They were reporting at that same time that three of the SD fires had merged into one (which included the Witch fire).

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Well, as night gets here, lots of reports are coming in and evacuations are enlarging. :(

For the first I know of in San Diego, they are asking to evacuate to the coast. This includes Del Mar and Solana Beach.

For sure included in this are John (epicure3), a co-host of the last Palm tour.  (John let us know how you are faring)

JUST north of the evacuate zone would be Phil and "Jungle Music" which most of you know.

A more troubling related part is  the Rainbow fire jumped I-15 and is burning west with Gary Woods place (Plant Signs or South Coast Palms) directly in line and Steve in So Cal's place not much further west and south.  :(

Another sad note for the general folks out there is a lot of the "well-burned" area of the Cedar fire (2003) are now under mandatory evacuation (Crest, Harbison Canyon).  Many of these people JUST got their Homes rebuilt with many STILL struggling towards completion.  :angry:

I wish I could speed up time 24 hours.

glad to hear you are doing ok,scott.

also praying for all those now threatened.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I will add that Shon is NOT under Evacuation right now and seems OK (as of 1+ hour ago)  Joe Palma who lives about 1/2 mile east of Shon should be OK then I suspect.  ???  Joe?

Yes - Thanks Bill for the updates, and Paul for the good wishes. This can't end soon enough.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Hwy 76 is now closed 1 mile east of me. Not real worried, but I'm staying up all night just in case the Rice Canyon fire accelerates.

Anyone know how Steve in SoCal is doing? I'm sure posting here is not a high priority.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Steve:

We're hoping you dodge the bullet.

Frist frost, now fire.

Yike.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.