IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms on fire

happ

Shared this photo on Weather forum of santa ana-driven fires all over So. California  :o

malibu.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wow!

I saw the dust clouds today, from the wind.

Not up near me, but a few miles south.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looks like the end of the world.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Happ--

Is that the view from your place?? Yikes!! Stay safe...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Saw some of the devastation on TV over here.

They blame it on a very dry summer.

Hope all are well - palms unlike folks can always be replaced.

Regardez and good luck all.

Juan

Juan

Ugh,

Firestorm or hurricane? I'll take the hurricane.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Striking pictures Happ.  At least palms to a large degree are pretty fire resistant.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That photo looks like hell itself, I hope its not as bad as it looks !

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

For Bo or Dean or others that know the San Diego area....Bo- Your old "unused property" is now under evacuation.  West of I-15, north of 56, east of I-5 and south of lake hodges.

Also ALL of Ramona is under evacuation as of late yesterday.

The only thing better than the Cedar fire of 2003 is there seems to be enough time to announce evacuations instead of just looking at the ridge above your home and seeing a 30 foot wall of flame.

IT IS NOT LOOKING GOOD ANYWHERE IN SO CAL RIGHT NOW.  WE HAVE 2 MORE DAYS OF THIS.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Just got news that our shop has closed for the day due to the road and area closures, etc.. (I repair heat and A/C systems)

I have worked in the same place for 22 years, we have NEVER closed on a normal work day.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Happ/BS, I now see what you mean by "Santana". Hope things get better.As they say "Chin up, Grasshopper".

What you look for is what is looking

Anyone know how Gary Levine or the Arnold's places are holding up?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Fastfeat

The photo is of Las Virgenes Canyon in Malibu area.  My location is further inland and safe right now  :D

Here are a few more photos:

malibu2.jpg

All the smoke blowing out to sea from San Diego to Los Angeles  :o

malibu5.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(osideterry @ Oct. 22 2007,08:02)

Anyone know how Gary Levine or the Arnold's places are holding up?

I haven't talked to Gary, but his place seems to be in the middle or at least north of two evacuation zones.

Shon called me to say they are asking him to evacuate so he's going to load up.

Yeah Bubba, I got told years ago it was originally the "Santana winds", I also heard that reference on a newsreel report of fires in LA from the early 60's.    Us gringos didn't know what "Santana" was, but the town and mountain range were around so it gradually morphed to "Santa Ana's". Both phrases are correct.

Yet, if I understand correct, the original phrase refers to "Devil winds"....pretty accurate.  :angry:

Happ, where do you find the updated satelite images?

The wind conditions are worse than the infamous Cedar fire of 2003.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

This sucks- I just posted in weather..........

----------------------------

Not Good.

Just called Gary LeVine.

He left his house at 3AM this morning with fire 50' away, he says he and his family barely got out.  :(

He does not think he has a house or palms left. :( :( :(

He said his road was on fire on both sides as he went down the hill.  :angry:

The winds are currently too high for any fire fighting equipment, let alone TV coverage.

:(

post--1193071654_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wow. I am hoping Gary's house is spared. I was worried about him last night and this morning.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

His house would be in the San Pasqual Valley area

Our hearts go out to you in Southern Calif. Every time I see a news report it sound worse, and today and tomorrow to go. This reminds me of the devistating Oakland/Berkeley fire in 1991. (Pull up Oakand fire on the web and it details the fire). It's pretty scary.

I had to fly that day and as I got on the freeway, I saw a towering smoke to the west. I listened to the radio and they said it was in the vecinity of the Caldicott tunnel which I had to go through. When I emerged on the west side of the tunnel, it was like driving into hell. Huge pines and euculiptus trees were in flame and the heat was so intense, I manuvered my way to the inner lane of the free way. The fire had already created it's own weather system and firey embers were blowing across the freeway. I got out of there as fast as I could, and in minutes they had closed down the Caldicott tunell, and it remained closed for 5 days.

By the time I got to SFO and took off for San Diego, the bay was coverd with thick black smoke. It was blowing from east to west over San Francisco. When we returned to SFO in a couple of hours the entire bay area  looked like a scene out of hell with black smoke covering the entire area.

I had friends who lived in the path of the fire, and both of their houses which were next to each other, were old spanish type houses, made of stucko and tile roofs. One of the households bearly escaped with their lives. They only managed to rescue their parrot and the heat was so intense that their car didn't want to start. They escaped only minutes before their house litteraly exploded from the heat. The wave of heat from the burning homes across the street was estimated to be 1800 F.

If any of you guys down there are in the path of the fires, don't wait to be told to evacuate. The fires can move much faster than you can run. Gather up your animals, important papers, photographs, your computer and get the hell out. Don't forget your address book either. My friends lost theirs and it took days to get in contact.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Using the adobe here as the Alamo...all family that's evacuated are headed here. The Fallbrook fire hit Avocado groves, and has stalled. Safe for now...has anyone talked to Gary L yet?

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

I just heard that 100,000 acres have burned in San Diego county.

AND 250,000 people are under evacuation!!!!  :(

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Oct. 22 2007,10:27)

Using the adobe here as the Alamo...all family that's evacuated are headed here. The Fallbrook fire hit Avocado groves, and has stalled. Safe for now...has anyone talked to Gary L yet?

Read post #18.

I could also estimate easily AT LEAST 100 homes burned down throughout the county so far.

Also, glad to hear you're OK Steve.

Steve - How about Gary Woods place? He must be close to the Rainbow Fire.

The status of plants pales in comparison to homes and lives...

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I hope everybody's okay. The Saugus fire is closeby. We had a fire yesterday in Porter Ranch just a couple of miles away. And then one in Santa Clarita which again is very close. Someone I work with, his house is right in the center of it.

My house is right on the egde against the foothills with nothing between us and all the dry brushy hills. The smoke was covering us yesterday with that eerie red sunlight. We have trees down, debris all over from the winds. I'm a little worried to go to work today.

On ABC7 they're showing large homes on fire in Lake Arrowhead right now.

Again, I hope everyone's okay.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Scott- glad your checking in OK, I know you have winds and mountains.

Terry- I suspect Gary Woods is OK right now, he is only about 1 mile or 2 from Steve as the crow flies.

Haven't heard anything about JD's.      But then again, the "evacuations" never listed Gary Levines place and he said the fire was AT his place!

on weather.com the radar says it's raining in San Diego! Is that true, or can smoke be read as rain when it's thick?

I'm always up for learning new things!

No rain, not even close.  The RH is 10% in Lemon Grove right now.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Bill,

Thanks a lot for the updates. Sounds extremely bad, but I sure hope everybody is safe. I just received an e-mail from Gary a few days ago, but obviously before all this happened.

Keep us posted with specifics when you have them (and that obviously goes for anyone else as well who may have vital information about the situation).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'm at my parents house in Lemon Grove which is traditionally not in a wind corridor but the wind has kicked up here too.  It's blowing steady at about 12 mph which means it's a lot windier everywhere else.  At 82 degrees F, the relative humidity has dropped to 2.8%.  That's the lowest I've ever seen!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I just talked to Jerry and he says that his place is fine.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

I heard there was a flare up in Poway and thought about our host at the last PSSC meeting. Hope he's okay.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(BS, Man about Palms @ Oct. 22 2007,10:28)

I just heard that 100,000 acres have burned in San Diego county.

AND 250,000 people are under evacuation!!!!  :(

Yeah I heard the Red Cross is beyond strapped for resources and that the big sports arena in San Diego is being used as a shelter.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Oh, dear God.

Hope Gary and his family are okay.

Any word from them?

No damn good at all . . . .

:(

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Man I was hoping Gary's place would be alright.  Sounds bad.  I'm hoping that his place has enough empty areas (+irrigation) that the fire might go around.

I was a bit nervous.  Now I'm feeling sick.

My work shut down for the day as well due to poor air quality, and the fact that about 1/2 of our people are in evacuation zones.  We shut down for 3 days during the cedar fire.  The air's not as bad this time, but it sounds like more homes are getting torched.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Gary has the fact that he's got absolutely no brush or weeds anywhere around the house, so his "defensible area" is adequate for the fire dept. to at least get in there and give it a fight.

Uncle Glenn's house in Cardiff by the Sea (east of the 5 @ Manchester exit) might be next to evacuate.

DeanO cannot be reached.  Hope he's far enough west to be ok.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i work for DRs & they would work thru a nuclear war.

i am finding it hard to concentrate with so many people in such dire straights.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.