IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

'Filibusta' question

Vic

On a recent trip to Valencia last month i collected seeds from both Robusta and Filifera, the Robusta were located in an area where there were no filiferas around so i'm reasonably confident about the offspring but the Filiferas were only 2 amongst many Robustas and i collected seeds from under the Filiferas. My question is this, knowing that Washingtonia sp are monoecious then surely the seeds collected would be pure Filifera and some hybrids ie 'Filibusta'?

Bearing this in mind how can you guarantee your seeds are Filibusta unless the seeds collected are from Filibusta? just curious.

Thanks

Vic

Not sure, just a bump here.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Washingtonia has perfect flowers, and given the uniformity you see in older cultivated plants you would think a lot of self-pollinating occurs. But many younger plants (<30 years old) look intermediate, especially here in Texas. If you want one that looks like a hybrid you should definitely pick the seed off that plant, and if you want something "pure" (inbred may be a more appropriate word) you should get them from some place isolated with no other forms growing nearby.

Dear Vic  :)

here are some visuals of the washy filibustas that are growing in our roof top terrace in south india...

Love,

Kris  :)

post-108-1193069930_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Vic  :)

this palm grows like mad and its hardly 6 to 8 months old in that barrel...this palm was raised from the seeds sold online !

As hybrid washy..the germination rate also was around 90% and are touffies.since after repotting these young saplings i kept them under full or direct heat & sunlight in roof top gardens..

And it loves fertz,i started using it from the 3rd month itself..

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, thos look like my washy hybrids, they grow like wild once they get established in the ground.  Notice the deep rich green fronds, instead of the lighter green frond of your Filifera.

Kris,

Thats a great looking plant you have there, unbelievably quick growing too. I have just noticed my filifera seeds have just sprouted, i'm just hoping some may turn out to be hybrids and maybe have the vigour that yours has.

I'm guessing you will plant that out soon?

I have some robusta seedlings that have taken over 2 years to get to the size yours has.

Cheers

Vic

The quickest way I can think of is to germinate them all and watch how fast they grow.  The fastest ones are probably some mix of robusta.  My filibustas have been much quicker than the pure filiferas.

Here are my twin filibustas:

Picture076.jpg

Picture066-1.jpg

Pure filifera from Nevada:

Picture081.jpg

Planted some out this year just to see what their lethal temp is. :angry:

Many of the washies being grown commercially in Spain are filibustas although you dont get told that.

The robusta gets dry ugly leaf ends and the filifera is slower and has too many unsightly filaments ,the hybrid is the best of both.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk