IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Around Savusavu, Fiji Islands

fiji jim

Dear Jim  :)

that place look terrefic and the people all look more indian by race & origin.and do they speak hindhi,punjabi ?

And the lush greenery & moist wet atmosphere is very cool to our eyes...and i love to see more from that place and also your collection of plants from your garden_Please !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Jim,

Thanks for the additional photos! Hope you've got more coming. I really enjoy them. And as you can imagine, they certainly bring back some memories for me! Some of my all time favorite travel memories happen to be from not just that trip in 1975 (which was a round-the-world trip), but specifically from our visit to Fiji. Like the week before the boat trip from Taveuni to Buca Bay. We arrived in Taveuni with no hotel reservations, and I had no idea what accomodations might be available there! At the airport, which at that time had a "terminal" the size of a medium-sized shed, we grabbed the only cab, and he took us to Garden Island Resort - the ONLY hotel on the island. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told by the lady at the check-in desk "you're welcome to stay here, but just for your information, there's a power outage here that's lasted for a week. If you want to stay with us, there's no charge." Talk about an experience! Only about a half dozen other guests, and for dinner the menu was obviously somewhat limited: fresh fish cooked right there on an open fire. Priceless memory!

Bo-Göran

PS. the photo in post#34 really shows how untouched many areas are. Really incredible!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Glad you like them.

It is amazing haw slowly Fiji changes.

With coups every few years and so many factors having power to interfere ( like the church, tribal issues etc) it is fairly guaranteed to go slowly for some time yet.

Kris, about half the population of 800,000 are Indian descendants from the indentured laborers brought in the late 1800's and early 1900's for cane cutting as they could not get the Fijians to work. Still like that today.

Most are Hindu and a smaller percentage are Muslim but all seem to speak Hindi with a lot of slang and some Fijian and English words thrown in.

In general all peoples get on well here, it is only the politicians and power mongers at the top that squabble and cause all the trouble.

Bo, the Garden Island Hotel is still there and Taveuni has better electricity supply now and some sealed road from Waievo to Matei at the airport. However the airport still is a shed beside the runway and same old planes flying us around here.

This pic is shows how the road repairs are done and not usually until a section becomes impassable.

post-710-1192992684_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Today it is blowing like crazy with gusts to more than 40 knots and we have had in excess of 15 inches of rain in the last 36 hours. Some dry season hey.

Here is a typical bus stop shelter on the same highway.

post-710-1192992936_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Here is a more traditional house further down the road.

A Fijian bure.

post-710-1192993093_thumb.jpg

The road narrows as we drive through some coconut plantations

post-710-1192993443_thumb.jpg

Piglets on the road but they are too fast for us.

post-710-1192993549_thumb.jpg

Some nice views from the road but the sea is mostly hidden by mangrove or scrub unless you walk a little.

post-710-1192993667_thumb.jpg

The real reason that we went for this drive was to see if the seed was ripe on this Balaka Natewa palm that we found a few months previously.

post-710-1192993957_thumb.jpg

Checking out some hunters pig trap

post-710-1192994041_thumb.jpg

Prize food around here is the wood pigeon. Also called the barking pigeon as it's call sounds like a dog barking.

post-710-1192994234_thumb.jpg

Then we found this Veitchia filifera in seed and scored about 700 of them.

post-710-1192994425_thumb.jpg

Now on the coast in the bottom of Natewa Bay

post-710-1192994797_thumb.jpg

Low tide

post-710-1192994894_thumb.jpg

Now heading west back home and this is the approach to the bridge over the salt lake river. I always slow down for this bridge as lives have been lost here. Also the small river is a sacred place to the Fijians as they believe that the shark god, Dakuwaqa lives there.

I've never been in to find out. :D

post-710-1192995245_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Yes, I know, change is very gradual, but it is happening. We were back on Taveuni a few years ago. You're right, the terminal is still a shed, but it's a larger shed now! We also stopped by at Garden Island Hotel, just for the heck of it. Didn't stay there. Stayed at Maravu Plantation Resort, only about a mile from the airport. The friendliest and best service we've EVER had, ANYWHERE. They have, I believe, 14 individual bungalows, and really pay attention to their guests.

And actually, the planes are not quite the same. Back in 1975, we flew on a De Havilland Heron from Suva to Taveuni. The world's smallest 4-engined airliner (seats 14!), built in the 1950s, and now mostly retired. A few years ago when we were there, we flew on BN-2 Islanders and DHC-6 Twin Otters. Also saw a few of the Chinese built Y12s. Sure glad we didn't end up on one of those! On the flight from Taveuni to Nadi we made a quick stop at Savusavu, just to drop off and pick up passengers. Incidentally, calling the field at Taveuni an "airport" is probably pushing it. I think "airfield" is more appropriate since they just have a little grass runway.l Hope it stays that way!

BTW, noticed a major development at the other end of the island. Very impressive, but it looked like it had stalled completely! I'm sure you know about it? (This was in April 2000, a few weeks before the coup in May....)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Home again for the sunset and to get the mud off us.

post-710-1192995429_thumb.jpg

Bo, I don't know much about planes but none look new to me.

The development that you flew over was at NaVodo Bay near Viani Bay called Whispering Tides.

I started landscaping that in early 1999 and about every two months would sail plants there ( no road access) in my yacht and spend time there with the gang from the nearby village doing the planting and preparations for my next visit. We also set up a nursery there to do the easy stuff from cuttings like hibiscus and crotons.

I did that for about four years and it did have a go slow for a while during the 2000 coup.

The developed part of the property is about 7 acres with a beautiful beach and it is privately owned by a guy who has a chain of more than 60 jewelry shops in Cali. He's not intending to do business with it and has it for family and friends. Just something to do with a few spare mill.

My pics of there were all done with the old style of film in camera and the humidity has ruined most of them, so can't show much of that.

I stayed at Maravu Plantation Resort also around that time to do some work. Sounds like it has improved a lot.

Now the next day after the last pics we went in a northerly direction to the foothills of Mt. Sorolevu, the highest peak on Vanua Levu at about 1000meters. This area has more than 9 of the Fijian species of native palms but they are all situated at higher elevations in steep slippery terrain.

It was far too wet to get into the bush as some river crossings were impossible but i took some pics nearby.

post-710-1192997067_thumb.jpg

This old man has the closest house to the mountain and is past the end of the road and we had to drive through the river four times to reach there.

The area has some hot springs and he has very cleverly converted one to heat his copra dryer.

Usually the copra is dried with a fire supplying the heat from burning coconut husks and wood. One day i will get a pic of one of those also.

This is a nice clean and easy way to dom the job.

post-710-1192997443_thumb.jpg

Inside the dryer

post-710-1192997552_thumb.jpg

Nearby is a small thermal pool where people come to bath to rid themselves of sicknesses. some say that it has some special powers. It sure is hot.

post-710-1192997761_thumb.jpg

Awesome photos!  Do you live there?  Please continue to post as they are very appreciated photos.

A friend of mine has a place on one of the outer islands.  Very remote.  He stated how fertile it is there.  He once told me of throwing a rotten tomato on the ground only to have tomato plants spring up form where it landed.

Thanks, Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Jim,

that little dirt track reminds me of little dirt track down in central Java. Not around big town of course, just in villages. Very lush and green, I love how plants grow in the tropical islands, a bit like home. Darwin is not quite the same.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Dear Jim  :)

thanks for the information and your coverage is fentastic ! and it appears that the place is still intact with its natural vegitation & forest wealth.that is one plus point with slow progress. modern day progress = more garbage & pollution..!

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

That is for sure Kris.

Ari and Jeff it is so here that things grow like weeds, especially the weeds.

Often we throw trimmings of plants onto our compost piles and they grow, especially gardenia and hibiscus.

Also pawpa is everywhere due to the birds eating and distributing it in their droppings. Food is everywhere on this island and nobody goes hungry. That is one of the reasons that all of Fiji calls this area the 'Hidden Paradise'.

It is also one reason that it is hard to find people who will work.

Now I will post a few pics that were taken recently from a boat when some mates took me out fishing.

post-710-1193036663_thumb.jpg

As we leave town to exit the bay we pass our property.

post-710-1193036864_thumb.jpg

Jean Micheal Cousteau Resort near the point.

post-710-1193037037_thumb.jpg

The end of the peninsular where it drops of to over 1000 meters deep in a mile or less.

post-710-1193037286_thumb.jpg

Talk about surviving

post-710-1193037790_thumb.jpg

We caught some trevally and this walu or spanish mackerel on the way out.

post-710-1193038026_thumb.jpg

Jim:

I think you're the drive-by master . . . .

Do they like tourists in Fiji?

Might be coming soon . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They love tourists Dave, especially the cannibals. :laugh:

Come and visit us.

These guys caught 2 blue marlin of around 150kg last week and lost a monster of more than double that size.

post-710-1193165584_thumb.jpg

Dave,

Fiji is a great place to visit - definitely one of my favorite travel destinations. Have always met very friendly people there, and never had the feeling that someone was trying to rip me off. Not saying that can't happen (it could happen anywhere obviously!), but people generally seem to be very sincere and open.

Plus, a bunch of palms in the wild....last time we were there, we hired a 4 wheel drive on the island of Taveuni, and drove all the way up to the summit of one of the mountains...I think it's the second tallest on the island but can't remember the name (Jim would know). The entire side of the mountain is covered in Clinostigma exorrhizum! What a sight!

So, yes, definitely a great place to visit!!

Bo-Göran

Dave,

Was on my way out the door when I posted the above, so was in a bit of a rush. What I meant to say was that we hired a 4 wheel drive WITH a DRIVER! Wouldn't have wanted to attempt that drive up the mountain on my own... Plus, we stopped in a little village and had to visit the village chief and pay our respects to him (plus some cash!). Apparently it's their mountain. And without a driver/guide, we wouldn't have known to do that!

And, yes, Jim is right - I'm sure the cannibals would find you positively irresistable...!@ :D  :D  Actually, they gave up on that charming practice some 120 years ago. We don't buy too many souvenirs when we travel, but couldn't resist these replicas of cannibal forks last time we were in Fiji. (My business card for size comparison).

Bo-Göran

PS to Jim - your property in post #66. Looks like a steep hillside there. Ever any difficulties getting in and out if it's been raining heavily? And how far away from "downtown" Savusavu are you?

post-22-1193177953_thumb.jpg

Nice forks Bo.

Those ones are  definitely designed for decoration for tourists. The real deal was much slimmer and used as a brain fork and the delicacy of the grey matter was accessed through the ear opening in the skull. ( So I am told )

Also the last instance that I know of regarding cannibalism was of a Fijian soldier in the Solomon Islands in the second world war. He ate some Japanese that he killed in battle. No better way to insult your enemy that to turn them to s*it.

Half of our 6 acres is about is fairly steep but the gravel driveways we made are pretty good and we always have been able to get in and out, but after cyclones often cannot get anywhere else as our road along the bay-front becomes impassible and it often takes some days before the fallen raintrees and coconut trees are moved.

We are about 4 klm from town which is about half way to the Cousteau resort that is in post #67 and situated at the end of the peninsular.

When I get some more time I will take more pics of around the area.

This pic is of some houses next to the resort a few klm down the road and only separated from the sea by our narrow dirt road.

post-710-1193203157_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend I went cruisin again and captures some more of around here.

This is an unusual pet in one of my friends house.

post-710-1194675037_thumb.jpg

It is actually a fruit bat and sometimes known as a flying fox. This is just a baby.

post-710-1194675174_thumb.jpg

Now heading home I called into a subdivision development behind Koro Sun resort. That is about 20 klm east of where we live.

This is some the view from a house under construction for which I am starting a landscape plan.

post-710-1194675443_thumb.jpg

At a lower elevation is this place that we landscaped last year for a family from Montana.

post-710-1194676342_thumb.jpg

Passing Savusavu Airport. Sorry Bo, Airfield that should be.

post-710-1194676501_thumb.jpg