IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Lundkvist Palm Garden,

deezpalms

FirstBo,

THANK YOU for growing all this eye candy we can marvel at!  (and to Dave again for the pix)

Next,

Is the last palm pic in post #9 your Piersoniorum?

Then,

What is the palm in post #43, 3rd pic?

Bill

-OK, is the 3rd palm in post #52 a Lemoreouxphoenix?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Palm in second photo in post 32 is a Dypsis sp. Orange crush. And also, see post 28, first photo: the two palms in the center are both Orange crush, and so is the palm in the center in the first photo on post 31. Most of these palms DO have a very vibrant orange crownshaft and upper trunk, but the colors does fade away slowly (several weeks). A few individuals (definitely a minority) never display any orange.

And the Lodoiceas may not be quite 15 ft, but they're probably pushing 12-13 ft at this point. Don't feel like going out to check - it's raining right now...

Edit (a few minutes later).

Bill, you added your post while I was typing the above, so here's the response to your questions:

Last pic in post #9: K. magnifica

#3 in post 43: who knows!! I bought this (and a sibling plant, that's planted right next to it) in 1999 from Floribunda. They were in 1G pots and Jeff sold them to me as Dypsis sp. suckering. Hopefully you can figure it out... :D  If you do, let me know please!!

#3 in post 52: yes, indeed - Lemurophoenix!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Great photos!  I have a few id. questions:  what is the palm in #26?  the palm in the 3rd and 4th photos in #29, and finally, the palm on the right hand of the frame in #57?  Thanks!

San Fernando Valley, California

(bgl @ Oct. 21 2007,18:56)

#3 in post 43: who knows!! I bought this (and a sibling plant, that's planted right next to it) in 1999 from Floribunda. They were in 1G pots and Jeff sold them to me as Dypsis sp. suckering. Hopefully you can figure it out... :D  If you do, let me know please!!

If I can figure it out, I 'd have to own one!!  :;):

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

well, unfortunately, Jeff Marcus is probably out of these by now! ???

Peter,

Here goes:

Post 26: first photo is the Dypsis sp. bejofa. You can see more of these palms in post 33, photo #2, 3 and 4 as well as the first photo in post 34. Incidentally, the first photo in post #33 is of the palm that Jeff Marcus sold as Dypsis sp. mony mony (probably what Mardy Darian calls Big curly). You can also see a D. sp. bejofa to the left in that photo.

Photo #2, 3 and 4 in post 26 is the Dypsis sp. Dark mealybug.

Post 29, #3 and 4: Dypsis carlsmithii. More of these in post 36, first and second photo.

Post 57, palm to the right is a Cyphophoenix nucele.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Sorry Bo-

3rd pic, post #35?  :D

Thanx :)

Bill,

no problem - I enjoy looking at photos of palms, even when the palms are my own... :D

I bought that palm in 2002 from Kapoho Palms. It was in a 1G pot and had the name Dypsis prestoniana attached to it. I also bought about ten more at the same time, and there were at least THREE different Dypsis palms in that little group, even though Kapoho Palms called them all D. prestoniana. At this point, it looks like the Big Curly/Mony mony Dypsis, but then again, we don't know the real name for that one either. And maybe that's really D. prestoniana!

So, long story short, maybe D. prestoniana, maybe not!

Bo-Göran

Hey Dave...awesome photos !

Bo's garden should definitely be declared a natural sanctuary heritage place for palmankind... :)

What is the species with marvelous fruits in post # 18?

What about # 27, second picture?

I guess if I ever visit this place it would be very tough for Bo to get rid of me at the end of the visit...I'd probably jump into the lava crack and hide, and then spend a full moon night among his palms... :D

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno,

Post #18 - not sure which one you mean. I don't see any palm with "marvellous fruit" there...!!?? If you mean photo #2, then that's a Geonoma sp.

Post #27, second photo: Beccariophoenix madagascariensis.

And you're right, a night with full moon is quite spectacular, especially right after a brief rain shower when all the fronds are wet and the moon is shining on them!

Bo-Göran

• 1 year later...
100_1203.jpg

100_1204.jpg

100_1206.jpg

100_1205.jpg

Great Pic Dave.....and these pic show your yard OUTSTANDINGLY!! :drool: :drool:

Hey Bo what's the palm in the last image?

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Clark,

All the larger palms in the last three photos in post #91 are the so called Dypsis sp. bejofa or bijouf (but sold under the Dypsis bejofo name). Dypsis bejofo is of course a valid name, but I don't believe this is the true bejofo. When John Dransfield was here in July this year, he was uncertain and simply said "let's wait till it flowers".

And Ken, plenty of New World palms in Hawaii and in our garden! It just so happens that when we have visitors from the U.S. Mainland they seem to be mainly interested in the palms from Madagascar and the South Pacific, including New Caledonia.

Bo-Göran

I get that Bo. How 'bout some Chamadorea shots? Any big Copernicia? I saw the SA oils, any other cocosoids that are rare? Rienhardia?

On the NC stuff do you have a big Kentiopsis other than olivaformis?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

great pictures Dave and Bo and a big THANKS for sharing them. That looks like heaven to me. I am not sure which is my favorite but as I review the thread again I am sure I will see several I missed the first time.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Kent - thanks a lot!

And Ken - ours is a relatively young garden (12 years since the first palm went in the ground) so even though we have quite a few Copernicias (but not as many as I would like! :) ), none of them have gotten to the point of forming a trunk yet. Same for all the Kentiopsis (except oliviformis). Have to be patient with many of these slower ones...!

About Chamaedorea - actually I do have some of these, but it's a relatively small number. As some of you already know, I'm not a great Chamaedorea lover. Don't get me wrong, I do find some of them attractive, but it's just that the genus is not in the top 100 as far as I'm concerned... And I'm not just picking on Chamaedoreas here. I'm not all that crazy about the tiny little Dypsis either. The ones with skinny little trunks. I have tried quite a few, and some of them are still alive, but they have an unfortunate habit of getting hit by debris and fronds from taller trees and palms, and the fatality rate has been on the high side, so I'm avoiding that particular Dypsis group. And Reinhardtia latisecta is a great palm - have quite a few of those!

Bo-Göran

BTW - I believe there's a great Copernicia collection in Koko crater on O'ahu, but I have never been there.

Clark,

All the larger palms in the last three photos in post #91 are the so called Dypsis sp. bejofa or bijouf (but sold under the Dypsis bejofo name). Dypsis bejofo is of course a valid name, but I don't believe this is the true bejofo. When John Dransfield was here in July this year, he was uncertain and simply said "let's wait till it flowers".

And Ken, plenty of New World palms in Hawaii and in our garden! It just so happens that when we have visitors from the U.S. Mainland they seem to be mainly interested in the palms from Madagascar and the South Pacific, including New Caledonia.

Bo-Göran

Bo is the D. bejofa you speak of a membrane seed, and as a seedling light bluish in form? I've seen so many false plants and all are different :hmm: This is my most fav palm....but getting good seeds is a nightmare!!!!

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Nice pics Dave.

I never cease to be amazed by this garden.

A true palm jungle

Mahalo Dave:

I was in awe of Bo's fabulous Big Island palm-y compound! :rolleyes:

There are few tropical gardens that compare for sheer tropicalness! It will be his living legacy for a hundred or more years. :)

What a photographic treat you have just bestowed upon us all, dear Dave! :D

Pablo

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

awesome pics dave, and an amazing garden bo... i am absolutely stunned.. what an every day tropical paradise! its just one big staycation!

Thanks guys and thanks again Clark as there are many new people that didn't see this thread since last year when I posted it ;)

BTW, if you guys think my pics are that good just you way till my next visit back home. All of these pictures were taken with my point n' shoot before I got my super duper digital SLR which has taken my photos up several notches!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Thanks guys and thanks again Clark as there are many new people that didn't see this thread since last year when I posted it ;)

BTW, if you guys think my pics are that good just you way till my next visit back home. All of these pictures were taken with my point n' shoot before I got my super duper digital SLR which has taken my photos up several notches!!

MORE MORE MORE!

First off, let me just say that Bo & his wife Karolyn are two of the nicest people you could ever meet! They were very warm & inviting and eager to share their home & garden with us. Thanks again Bo!! With that said the pictures shall commence! There are over 20 pictures that I will post so I am not going to name each species. Some will be obvious to most of you and some won't. I'll fill in some blanks per request and I'm sure Bo will too as I'm not sure of all of the species & I don't want to get it wrong  :D

First off, Bo, me & his two dogs Orville & Wilber

100_1325.jpg

The most photographed dogs in the palm world :rolleyes:

Dave, I know I saw this thread last year, because I remember the pic above with you, Bo, Wilbur & Orville, and also the pix with your mom -- she is so cute! But again, I guess I'm absorbing more palm lore, because they seem even better this time around, more meaningful, more breathtaking! Thanks!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.