IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few palms around San Jose

Jeff in St Pete

I went to San Jose a couple weeks ago to take care of some business.  While I was there, I managed to take a few pictures one cloudy afternoon.

Two very spiny palms used as street palms.  Acrocomia and Aiphanes?

P9260061.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

D madagascariensis and some kind of Syagrus?  I thought it was a queen palm at first but the fronds seemed too short for a queen.  

P9260072.jpg

More pics?

Hmm.  NO escape from Mickey Ds! (No. 3)

Hmmm.  That phoenix looks like a canariensis.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That's all the pics Dave.  It was raining on and off that day and I didn't get a chance to take half the pics that I wanted to.  I saw one street that was lined on both sides with very tall Veitchia's, but missed my opportunity to take a picture because I was in a taxi.  

No, there's no escaping McDonalds no matter where you go.  When I go to San Jose, sometimes i feel like I am back in Florida... Mickey D's, BK, KFC, Wendy's, Denny's...even an Outback Steakhouse.  But it is a welcome change at times since we have none of that in Quepos.

Yes, I believe it is P canariensis.  It was the first one I have seen in Costa Rica.  I don't think there are many of those around.

Jeff,

Do they have street names in San Jose yet?  When I was there last, which was a long time ago, 1986, there were no street names.  The address were 100 meters north of San Jose church, 50 meters to the cinema, and 25 meters west.  Or any variation of this.  It was sort of confusing to find ones way around.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hi Don,

I think that some of the streets have names, but mostly they are numbered, like Calle 8.  The problem is that none of the buildings have numbered addresses.  Everyone still gives directions like "150 meters this way, and 50 meters that way".  Even the taxi drivers sometimes have problems finding places.  It can be frustrating at times.  

None of the streets in Quepos are named.  Everyone uses phrases like "the road to Manuel Antonio" or the "the main road".  I usually rely on landmarks to give people directions.

Jeff

Here's one from downtown San Jose I didn't get a good answer on the last time I posted it:  Euterpe oleracea?

One challenge from me is to get a good pic of the Palma Real de Costa Rica, Attalea butyracea (is that the right Attalea?).  They're so damn big and still likely to be under canopy - I couldn't get a decent perspective on one when I was down there.

Steve

post-193-1192504993_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Steve, I saw similar palms when I was in San Jose.  They don't look like Euterpe to me.  I wish I could ID it for you.  Did you ever try posting the pic in the main forum?

Attalea's are a challenge when it comes to getting a good picture.  They are so massive that you have to move way back to get even part of the palm in the picture!

Dear Jeff  :)

as dave said that phoenix looks more like a CIDP to me and that still is close to my heart..i love the CIDP's..

thanks for the tour,

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Kris!  CIDP's are not common sights around here.