IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Leaf Color

Dypsisdean

In keeping with the theme of how beautiful palms are, here are some snapshots that greeted me as I walked the garden this afternnon. While we would all agree that palms are beautiful, we may disagree on what part of a palm is the most pleasing. While some like trunks, others may like crownshafts, and some prefer massive fronds. However, I think everyone would have to appreciate the opening of a new frond, especially when you throw in some color. Names will be witheld for those who like to test their skills. And skill will be needed. Some of these, I imagine, would be impossible.

One:

post-11-1155607707_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Well, having a little skill is an understatement ! It's pretty hard,when you show us 10% of the palm!

You know, it's now 11;00pm on the east coast.I can't sleep until I take a guess at these. So.....here goes.

#1   Ptychosperma sp. Wotoboho( To me, it looks like this. This is the only Ptychosperma that throws a new red leaf,but the top fades to green while the bottom remains red a little longer.)

#2    I know this look, but show us more!!

#3     Can't tell ??

#4    Pinanga caesia  Red Form

#5    Welfia regia

#6    Calyptrocalyx sp.  ?

#7    Another  Calyp. sp.

#8    Pinanga sp. Thai  mottled or P. maculata

#9    Dypsis sp. ??

You made hard all right!  Oh well, I'm going to bed!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

What?????

Is that pots I see in #5?  What the He(( is your problem Dean!?

Don't you know you are stunting the growth of those palms by depriving them of that fertile ground over there????!!!!!

Plant them now!  I suspect you still have Daylight!!!

LOL :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

1. Ptychosperma waitianum (sp?)

2. Vershafeltia splendida

6. Calyptrocalyx albertsiana

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

#3 is gronophyllum pinangiodes or should that be Hydrastele pinangoides ?

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Lovely fronds, Dean, as usual.

# 2 is Verschaffeltia splendida

# 5 looks like a Chambeyronia macrocarpa

The Pinangas are easier to ID, but not the species (there are so many...).

# 1 may actually be a P. waitianum, as Tim recognized. Mine is still a seedling.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Very nice!!!  It's like homework to figure out these palms.  I had the PACSOA page open to verify names that some of the guys are pointing out and it is still too much for me. :D  I'm only sure of these two and I got the names from J. Searle and Gileno.  Sheesh, it took me over 15 minutes to verify all of the names that was pointed out.

1) Ptychosperma sp. Wotoboho

2) Verschaffeltia splendida

Hey Dean:

I'm still curious about the species...

Let us increase our wish list please...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

:angry:   Yeah, let's get with it Dean!  The natives are getting restless! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Dean, those are beautiful colourful photos. And each one is unique! Thanks for posting them. Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Before I post the names for the palms featured above, here is one I forgot to include. Another colored new leaf on Asterogyne martiana.

post-11-1155880364_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

Collectively you guys got most of these. Good job, it wasn't easy.

I intend to start another thread and try to sort out the name of this one. I have three of these and they are indentical except for the tags they came with. One was labeled Ptychosperma waitianum, one P. burretianum, and one P. hentyi (now named Drymophloeus hentyi, I think). We can discuss this in more detail when I get the other thread going.

post-11-1155880650_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

Hydriastele pinangoides, formerly Gronophyllum

post-11-1155880821_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

Calytrocalyx pachystachys

(not 100% sure)

Edit: Apparently this is not C. pachystachys (see posts below) as it is a suckering palm. May be C. polyphyllus.

post-11-1155881053_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

Dypsis nauseosa (also sold as D. ceracea)

post-11-1155881277_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean,

I was actually glancing thru these photos earlier today, and when I saw #6 my thought instantly went to C. pachystachys. Here's one of mine for comparison. Keep in mind this one is a somewhat taller individual (reluctant to use the word 'tall' since these palms are anything but...!), so the leaflets are going to be a little bit more separated. A few more photos on our site.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1155881637_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, The only reason I hedged a little on #6 is that some pics I see, your's included, look a lot like what I see on the PACSOA site as C. polyphyllus. Just what we need---another confusing genus.  :)

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean,

I'll have to take a close look at my C. polyphyllus in the morning!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Dypsis Dean & Bo Goran  :)

Hai guys the pictures are terrefic and pretty new stuff

to me. i love each one of those palms.

and U guys are terrefic and are feedings us daily with really

intresting information on palms and other plants.

keep up the good work !

love,

Kris(to all my friends).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

YES...... :D  Can you make it a little harder next time ?  :D  LOL

Bo, your palm of C. pach. looks more like C. albertsiana or C. polyphyllus. It is really hard to tell from this photo, C. albertsiana has a longer leaf than C. pachystachys, more open leaflets. If you get Jeff M. over there, he would be able to tell you.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, be careful what you ask for... :)

And Dean and Jeff, I'm familiar with albertisianus (and I believe that's the correct version of the name), pachystachys and polyphyllus. Polyphyllus is clumping, and definitely a bigger palm then pachystachys, which is tiny by any standards. The photo I posted above is of one pachystachys in a group of several. They are all single stemmed, and all are tiny. Albertisianus is a bigger palm, and even when it's small, it looks different from a pachystachys. Here's a small albert.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1155931852_thumb.jpg

Bo,

I inferred from one of your posts above that C. pachystachys was solitary. The sources I checked seem to verify this (Although one pic I found showed what may have been a sucker). The palm I posted above is definitely suckering. And it's siblings are all readily suckering. So....................I will have to assume my original pic is not C. pachystachys, but C polyphyllus, unless someone wishes to tell me differently.

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean,

OK, we're almost getting into Dypsis territory here :D  (=lots of confusion). Actually, when I looked your photo in Post 27, I assumed they were two separate plants, very close together, and I guess that's not the case? If not, I have to assume it's not pachystachys.

Bo-Göran