IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First flowerings at the Palmetum

Carlo Morici

Dear friends,

Here I have some pictures to show of the recent botanical "happenings" at the Palmetum in Santa Cruz.

Carlo, Tenerife

----

Wallichia disticha, in late July 2007, flowering after seven years in the ground. The inflorescence is now (October) starting to dry out and no seeds were produced. Possibly summer was too hot and dry for this palm from higher elevations. This was not a strong specimen. Other plants are growing better and the next bloomings may not coincide with summer.

P1000763_redimensionar.jpg

Coccothrinax clarensis ssp. clarensis. First flowering in September 2007. No fruit set.

Seeds collected in Santa Clara, Cuba 1996.

P9170045_redimensionar_redimensiona.jpg

P9170046_redimensionar.jpg

P9170049_redimensionar_redimensi-1.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa, first flowering, in September 2007, after a failed attempt in 2006 P9170087_redimensionar_2.jpg

A Brahea sp. in July 2007, flowering profusely for its second year. Any Brahea expert?

P1000765_redimensionar.jpg

Fruits on Licuala spinosa. October 2007. This species fruited regularly during the past years.

CopiadeP9130014_redimensionar_2.jpg

Coccothrinax macroglossa. First flowering. September 2007. Some fruits are being developed.

Seeds collected in Camaguey, Cuba 1996.

P9170050_redimensionar_redimensiona.jpg

P9170043_redimensionar_redimensiona.jpg

It is not related to palm flowerings, but here is a nice composition of some Hawaiian endemic species.

- Palm: Pritchardia munroi, group sown in 1998, it did not flower yet.

- Flower: Hibiscus arnottianus ssp. inmaculatus

- Tree: Acacia koa

P9170061crop_redimensionar_2.jpg

Carlo--

Nice pictures! Quite a variety of species growing there.

The Brahea looks like B. brandegeii  to me.

Thanks for posting!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Nice one Carlo,

The Brahea could be B.edulis methinks?

What's this thing with palms first time flowering but not setting seed?

This happened a lot in my garden for instance Jubaeaopsis, Allagoptera even Trachycarpus and Butia.

Any thoughts?

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

I have never checked the Braheas, they have been "sp." for some time and now they are flowering and fruiting, but I have not had time to give a deeper look. I really don't know what they are.

From my experience palms often set their first fruits on thir second year of flowering and the first year is just a "trial". I heard this comments from most growers.

From a physiological point of view, the plant is not ready: sexual hormons, trunk size and overall vigour is not enough yet. Also, some "first" inflorescences are much smaller or simpler in branching than normal (such as both Coccothrinax shown above), lacking sexual parts and possibly produced late in season.

From an ecological point of view, some plants can start blooming much before fruiting, just to start attracting pollinators to a new location.

Carlo

(Carlo Morici @ Oct. 12 2007,11:39)

From my experience palms often set their first fruits on thir second year of flowering and the first year is just a "trial". I heard this comments from most growers.

From a physiological point of view, the plant is not ready: sexual hormons, trunk size and overall vigour is not enough yet. Also, some "first" inflorescences are much smaller or simpler in branching than normal (such as both Coccothrinax shown above), lacking sexual parts and possibly produced late in season.

Well thanks Carlo that is  a good argument

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

• 2 years later...

Some updates, just two years later:

Coccothrinax clarensis ssp. clarensis produce abundant fruits

10-13octubre200972.jpg

10-13octubre200973.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa Dropped the developing infructescences during the past two years. This years looks better than ever.

10-13octubre200966.jpg

There is a first inflorescence on Pritchardia remota

10-13octubre200955.jpg

Livistona fulva - First fruits

10-13octubre200947.jpg

Here a few self-sown seedlings of Livistona lanuginosa are allowed to grow larger by the mother plants. This is what comes after fruiting.

10-13octubre200939.jpg

Copernicia ekmanii is blooming for the second time. Last year inflorescence were few and small and dropped.

10-13octubre200935.jpg

Copernicia ekmanii 2

10-13octubre200936.jpg

Very nice pictures Carlo.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Great pictures and speciemen Carlo! The Palmetum has matured very nicely!!! :drool: The Coccothrinax macroglossa rule! :drool:

What is the fan palm on the right, at the background of the first picture of Copernicia eckmanii? A Washingtonia robusta or something else? It looks quite drooping and tropical!!! :drool:

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Thank you Matt and Kostas,

Kostas, the palms behind/above Copernicia ekmanii are Coccothrinax barbadensis. The group of C.macroglossa that you like, now looks larger and better! They too fruited properly.

Carlo

I thought it looked like C. barbadensis too but remembered you saying that you dont have experience with this species and dont know how fast it grows so i thought it was out of question...Its a beauty indeed and i guess C. guantanamensis/hiorami is even more beautyfull with similar drooping leafs plus silvery undersides! :drool:

The macroglossa have putted on quite some growth from when they were seeds!!! I imagined them as slower than that,that is acceptable to good growth compared with a few other New Caledonian palms...

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''