IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri in Florida

Eric in Orlando

Anyone else growing Rhopalostylis in Florida? We have it and R. sapida in the ground and a R. baueri var. cheesemanii to be planted. The R. baueri var. baueri has grown well so far, made it fine through the summer. The R. sapida is still healthy but slow. Here is the R. baueri var.  baueri

IMG_0123.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

I've never heard of Rhopalostylis making it for very long in Florida. They really like cool nights to thrive, and if they were planted further north in Fla. where there might be a winter chill, freezing would kill them.  They are not particularly cold hardy. I think I killed a couple when I lived in Miami, and the same for Hedyscepe.  Surprisingly there are a few Howeas growing in Miami. It will be interesting to see how yours do.

Dick

Richard Douglas

We have a small Hedyscepe growing well also. Have both Howea in the ground but H. belmoreana is so much slower.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thats it, Im trying one of each.  :cool:

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I have grown them for about a 17 years here in Jax. I had plants to about a 2 meters tall ( no trunk jsut leaves). They all perished in 1999 when we had a fortnight of freezes and lows of 21F.  After all these years I have a small R. sapida left.  They got through the 100s but the freezes did them in.

Best regards,

Ed

• Like 1

Eric,

I also noted a R. baurii growing reasonably well at McBride gardens in Kauii a couple years back, in full sun. It certainly led me to think they can handle some heat, at least more so than R. sapida.

Bret

P.S. That's a great shot of a small plant. Yours?

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I definitely think they are worth trying in central florida in the shade. Can California growers ship to Fla? Or is there a ban due to the oak disease?

BTW Eric thanks for posting the pic.

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

I think Rhopalostylis are worth a try in central FL. Give them a shady location with good air circulation, and moist fertile soil. Maybe since we are cooler than south FL they will have a better chance. Ed got them to grow in Jacksonville until a freeze wiped them out.

Here is the R. sapida, this is an older phto, it is a bit bigger but made it through summer fine. I planted a R. baueri var. cheesemanii yesterday.

68cd.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 years later...

What about an update, just to check how they are, in each climate and microclimate conditions?

I was recently given a cheesemani, and still do not know if i must put it in the ground or wait a year more potted.

post-3292-12701449570796_thumb.jpg

Good bump!

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

• 5 years later...

Hello Eric. Can you provide readers with an update (no 9 years later) on how the various Rhopalostylis are doing at Leu Gardens in Orlando, Florida?  Thanks!

We are curious as to the news, good, bad otherwise . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Agree, would be great to hear if either type survived and which one is doing better.

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

I am sure we will have a positive update soon; baueri is a palm I have come across enough to try one out personally--I aim to soon. When I first started to see them down here, I was also very surprised.

If planted in shade in Orlando, I won't be shocked if the R. Baueri are the R. Cheesemanii are still alive. (Eric?)  However, the R. Sapida will surprise me.  Unfortunately for me, way up here in the north of Florida, I think Baueri and Cheesemanii won't survive long term because of our once-every-five-years freeze events at night. However, Rhopalostylis Sapida, var. "Chatham Island" ("Oceana") or var. "Pitt Island" might withstand our rare cold snaps in the low 20s or even high teens Fahrenheit.  I really wish I could grow those two here, but it's very iffy.  R. Baueri does not withstand those low temperature dips, based on what I have read on PalmTalk.

Jeff and Mandrew, the problem with growing any of these in Miami is that you don't get break from the summer heat, even if you plant them in deep shade.  Way up here in the north, our summer nights are frequently 74 degrees Fahnrenheit, even when we have 94 degrees in the afternoon.  This is why I have been able to grow plants like Dypsis Decipiens successfully up here for the past five years -- and hopefully a Rhopalostylis too, to be determined.     

The Rhopalostylis  baueri var. cheesemanii is still alive and growing and I planted another last year. The R. baueri and R. sapida have died.

I also planted a new Hedyscepe. The one I had growing lasted several years but a nearby clump of Bambusa malingensis had greedy roots and the Hedyscepe did not get enough water. It would dry out even with irrigation and heavy rain.

A Ceroxylon parvum I planted years ago is still alive but not thriving. A C. amazonicum planted nearby is doing better.

I'll get some photos today and post them.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Rhopalostylis  baueri var. cheesemanii planted Oct. 2007 

2016-02-18 006.JPG

• Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

another   Rhopalostylis  baueri var. cheesemanii, planted Nov. 2015

2016-02-18 007.JPG

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks for the pictures!

Sapida is tough even in la Habra especially in summer. The beach is much better.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I am not surprised to see the baueri cheese one is growing. It must be the most tolerant of heat. I have seen them looking good in the ground, here in South Florida--knew they were baueri, but was not sure which form. Great job Eric!

I'm hoping to be in New Zealand in May, and come back with a bunch of photos.  I might even be allowed to schlep a few seeds into the US.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 4 months later...

These two sapida's have been growing in full shade during our 90's day's and our 80's nights. Been keeping them well watered.

2016-07-07 16.06.41.jpg

2016-07-07 16.06.16.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil