IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Troolie" magical!

XYZ

The troolie or monkey cap palm (Manicaria saccifera) is a large, somewhat showy Neotropical palm occurring from extreme southern Belize through the Caribbean coast of Central America and northern South America as well as much of the Amazon. In the northern portion of its range it can be one of the most abundant trees in tidal swamps and, together with the aquatic aroid, Montrichardia arborescens, can dominate the vegetation in some areas to the near exclusion of all other woody plants. Locally they are known as “comfre” or “confra” and their leaves are extensively utilized as the premier roof thatch in coastal areas of the Department of Izabal.

Manicariaswamp.jpg

Manicarialeaves.jpg

I recently visited a rainforest locality on Guatemala’s Caribbean coast to voucher specimens of a native population of Reinhardtia latisecta recently discovered by a local palm collector. This species of window-pane palm has not previously been confirmed for the country even though the type specimens of the species are purportedly from “Guatemala” but lack any other collection data. While most palm researchers in the region have long predicted that both this and R. elegans would ultimately be collected here, it was until just very recently that it was found.  In the course of evaluating this population of Reinhardtia latisecta, I was struck by the size of several of the Manicaria that I encountered, Most references report that the simple leaves of this species may attain sizes up to 8 m (26’) in length and certainly past experience suggested that 10 m (33’) might be a more accurate maximum size for this species. In this particular population, while there were very large trunked plams with leaves of relatively modest dimensions (5-6 m – 16-20’), there were several individuals in the understory with immense leaves well in excess of 12 m (40’), including the approximately 2 m (7’ long) petioles. Based on the leaves of these particular individuals, it is obvious that Manicaria saccifera is far and away the palm species with the largest simple leaves.

Of note were several large specimens found with Y-shaped trunks.

Manicariatwintrunk.jpg

While Manicaria tends to favor low-lying, inundated parts of the forest in northern Central America, several other species of palm share its habitat at this site on slightly higher ground. These include Astrocaryum mexicanum, Euterpe precatoria, Calyptrogyne ghiesbrechtiana, Bactris mexicana, Reinhardtia latisecta and Synecanthus fibrosus. The cohune palm (Attalea cohune) is rather rare and scattered in this particular forest, although it is abundant on higher ground less than 1 mi (approx. 1.5 km) away. Surprisingly, and in spite of the fact that the larger ecosystem as a whole is home to one of the most visible and diverse communities of Chamaedorea species in the world (at least 12 spp. in this area) we encountered not a single individual during this particular excursion. Likewise, even though it is quite common in the general area, we observed no Asterogyne martiana here either. Clearly, these understory palms are intolerant of the heavy, sandy clay soils favored by Manicaria, Reinhardtia latisecta and our native Bactris spp..

Obviously, those lucky enough to live in the range states of Manicaria have access to a superb ornamental palm when grown wet, shady and sheltered form the wind. Unfortunately, it has a reputation for being finicky outside of the warm tropics, and very slow growing when small.

The seeds are large, rather handsome and extremely hard. While flooded coastal populations probably disperse via their seeds by flotation, I suspect that inland groups rely on agoutis, peccaries or other medium-sized mammals to disperse their seeds.

Manicariaseeds.jpg

SJ

• Upvote 1

Sorry that the photos that accompany the text are just dumped here, but board software does not let one post more than several images per post.

SJ

Manicariacathedral.jpg

FruitingManicaria.jpg

EmergentManicaria.jpg

YoungManicariawithJJCM.jpg

• Upvote 1

And some Reinhardtia latisecta and Synecanthus images.

Reinhardtialatisectaemergents.jpg

YoungReinhardtialatisecta.jpg

Reinhardtiacanopy.jpg

SynencanthusandReinhardtia.jpg

board software...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

• Upvote 1

NOW this is what I'm talking about! Some great palms in a beautiful rainforest habitat. Your pictures are nice and thanks for taking us on a tour. Makes me want to go start planning another trip.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

if you wrote a book like this i'd buy it. :;):

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

SJ--

Great photos and info!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Great photos!  I love to see palms in their native habitat.  Shows what they can really do!  Love those Manicarias!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Been told that leaves of this species are used as sails for small boats on the Amazon .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

(aussiearoids @ Oct. 11 2007,06:26)

Been told that leaves of this species are used as sails for small boats on the Amazon .

Don K,

Is this true?  Can you verify for us?  That would be an interesting piece of trivia about the palm.  I try to pick up these tidbits for use when selling a palm or talking to people about them.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Ms. P:

Common knowledge in the region. Troolies are used in a number of ways, but this is certainly one...leaves function great as impromptu sails for small dugouts and rafts. You really have to see how big and substantial they are up close to appreciate their potential for rural folks.

One of the quaintest commodities that it provides are instant hats made from the unopened spathes...these are just cut at the base, split down the center and ¡Voilá! Think they have a name in Panamá and Colombia - escapes me for the moment.

Troolie thatch lasts forever...the very best commonly available in its range.

Cheerio,

SJ

SJ,

Thanks for the info.  I will file it away for future reference.  Now if I can just find some of the Manicarias to plant.

I really like the information about how the plants are used by indigenious peoples.  They can sure give us lessons in using what we have instead of making something new and not always as good.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

SJ,

Thanks a for the background info and the photos. Those are incredible palms. What an experience it must be to see them in habitat. I have a few in the ground, but they're still tiny (2 ft tall), and are VERY slow!!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

SJ

Great information and good pics.

would love to grow some of those species here.

They would like it too. :D

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

(bgl @ Oct. 12 2007,02:55)

SJ,

Thanks a for the background info and the photos. Those are incredible palms. What an experience it must be to see them in habitat. I have a few in the ground, but they're still tiny (2 ft tall), and are VERY slow!!

Bo-Göran

Verrrrrrry slow .....aint that the truth!

If their that slow for you Bo, am I going to  see a first leaf from the thing looking like an aerial projection above soil level before retirement?

I can verify at least 1/2 an inch spear growth per season..... :(

SJ,

fantastic habit shots.... I need a holiday!

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Manicaria is listed as a zone 11 palm by Fairchild on their website. Their specimens are under glass.

Anyone got a good deal on a couple of acres in the Lower Keys? :D

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

(palmmermaid @ Oct. 11 2007,08:14)

Don K,

Is this true?  Can you verify for us?  That would be an interesting piece of trivia about the palm.  I try to pick up these tidbits for use when selling a palm or talking to people about them.

Kitty,

I have heard the same thing, but never seen it.  The area that this is done is the state of Para east of here.  I think that the manicaria that they have there has longer leaves than the ones we have here.

The tatch is used here as well and is the one of the best.  One thing is that it is used vertical instead of horizontal.  There are some close to my lot.  I think I will drive by there and see if there are some seeds ripe.  I have never been successful germinating them.  But, another try is worthwhile.  The palm is known as Bussu around here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

This posting was a rare and fascinating glimpse into the natural population of an unusual palm and its conspecifics. Many thanks.

BTW, I have had Manicaria seeds from Brazil (like the ones illustrated) and others from Trinidad that were larger and looked much different.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

(amazondk @ Oct. 12 2007,09:56)

(palmmermaid @ Oct. 11 2007,08:14)

Don K,

Kitty,

I have heard the same thing, but never seen it.  The area that this is done is the state of Para east of here.  I think that the manicaria that they have there has longer leaves than the ones we have here.

The tatch is used here as well and is the one of the best.  One thing is that it is used vertical instead of horizontal.  There are some close to my lot.  I think I will drive by there and see if there are some seeds ripe.  I have never been successful germinating them.  But, another try is worthwhile.  The palm is known as Bussu around here.

dk

Don,

Thanks for the info.  

One of the things I really enjoy about this board is the diverse group of people who visit it.  You can get some really great information.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks SJ for a great post and photos to match.  Any chance this could also happen as you search for Chamaedorea tuerkheimii in habitat?  I would imagine there aren't many left, however.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Whoa!

Too bad those Mani-whatsis don't grow out in the open where their beauty can be better appreciated . . . .

That said, more pictures!

And maybe a travelogue?

Mongo LIKE picture . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

Out in the open!?....well, all you need is a good amount of patience! :D  I have about half a dozen in the ground, most of them in part shade. This one, however, is completely exposed. I bought it from Ken Foster in Sep 2001 and planted it right away, so it's been in the ground for six years now. It was in a 2G pot, and has probably doubled in size in these six years. It's just over 2 ft tall, so it'll probably be a while before the fronds gets up to their ultimate size! :(

Bo-Göran

post-22-1192249012_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Guys:

Get the distinct impression that these things grow with the speed of igneous rock.

Al: yes, there still are viable populations of wild tuercks (both green and blue), but their locations now are pretty tightly-held secrets.

Here's a pic in my friend's garden that shows some Manis a bit better. These were already there when he bought the place 15 years ago...apparently they haven't added a lot of height since then. Soils here are really sandy, but retain some moisture due to th clay...this palms in the pic are probably about 50 m (55 yards) from the Caribbean. I keep hounding him to interplant a bunch of Bactris militaris down there but he's REALLY into the "usual suspects" available in SoFlo nurseries.

Cheerio,

SJ

post-69-1192292146_thumb.jpg

And another - these are 2,50 m (8') leaves of a young plant that are halfway between the leaf morphology of BGs youngsters and the older plants above.

post-69-1192294022_thumb.jpg

This is what makes this board so interesting, the confluence of information from various sources around the world sparked by a fascinating peek at a rare palm in habitat.

If the Manicaria saccifera are so slow (igneous rock, nice simile), one wonders how many years to viable seed?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I caught your Zamia tuerckheimii Donn. Sm. article in The Cycad Newsletter - most excellent.

I get by with a little help from my fronds

• 8 years later...