IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

palm safari in point loma,CA

paulgila

And by the way that lovely cycas_Macro Zamia Moorie is mind blowing !

i think i have got that cycas I.D right since i do not have a good memory in remembering plant names !  :(

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Whoah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P I'm still huffing about those spindles.  Unbelieveable!  Thanks for bringing me along.....not! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

So lucky! I've stood in front of the Willoughby house many times hoping to get invited into the back yard. There is another house a few blocks away with a great collection of palms and cycads. Here are a few pictures from the other house. I have forgotten his name.

post-536-1191442329_thumb.jpg

Mike in Scripps Ranch

Zone 10a, 9 miles from ocean

Sweet!  Thanks NakaB!  Hey what's that pinnate palm just to the right of the Sabal in that last picture?  Is that Syagrus schizophylla?  I like those palms.  Anyone with any guesses?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That Pandanus in Post 44 is great. I have a small one, same species. How fast a grower are they?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(MattyB @ Oct. 03 2007,11:19)

Whoah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P I'm still huffing about those spindles.  Unbelieveable!  Thanks for bringing me along.....not! :angry:

Now you know how I feel up here in North county......so sad and all alone..  :sniff:  :sniff: :(:blush:

OH yes, Glad to see Naka B is still alive!!!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry MattyB. I have no idea what it is. Hope this picture helps. I originally had to do some editing to get the file small enough to post.

post-536-1191450197_thumb.jpg

Mike in Scripps Ranch

It looks like I see teeth, I vote with Matty.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

glad you enjoyed it,kris!

dean he did not mention his son.i asked him if he ever

checked out palm talk & he said he wasn't the computer "type".

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Osideterry... I love the spiral leaf pattern in the Pandanus as well. This guy had more than one. Here is a pix of a smaller one in front of the house.

Bill.....I'd be surprised if you haven't been to these gardens before. Seems like you know everyone!!!  :D Hitting Coronado with the TVR this weekend?

post-536-1191450790_thumb.jpg

Mike in Scripps Ranch

Wow nakab! great photos! Do you know if that Ravenala in your second photo is raised up on a hill?

if not, that has to be one of the tallest in California.

I'm always up for learning new things!

Great pictures, thanks for posting.  Post # 13 with the Buretiokentia spadix looks a lot like B. hapala.  (None up here in the tundra, but I've seen a few on Big Island!) :)

San Francisco, California

Great pics NakaB. I might take a pilgrimage down there. Lived on Bacon st in OB for a couple years. Too bad I wasn't into palms then.

San Marcos CA

(NakaB @ Oct. 03 2007,15:33)

Bill.....I'd be surprised if you haven't been to these gardens before. Seems like you know everyone!!!  :D Hitting Coronado with the TVR this weekend?

Mike- You're right, it seems like my job takes me everywhere. There is a good possibility that I have driven by the places... "pre-palm lust".  :P

As for the TVR, "WE" shall be at the British Car Day in Fallbrook on the 7th.  Basically at Mission and the 76, just north.

Everyones welcome!!  :)

Great photos, Paul  :P San Diego is so lush.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Mike - Post 43 is great! Thanks for that!

Bill - Have fun with the British Car Show! Which TVR are you taking?

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Scott @ Oct. 04 2007,00:23)

Mike - Post 43 is great! Thanks for that!

Bill - Have fun with the British Car Show! Which TVR are you taking?

Taking the Black Tuscan V8. Maybe another if I have enough energy.

great photos

I love CA  :cool:

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

(Gbarce @ Oct. 04 2007,07:48)

Whats that palm in the second picture on post #4?

Rhopalostylis sapida :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(kylecawazafla @ Oct. 03 2007,15:49)

Wow nakab! great photos! Do you know if that Ravenala in your second photo is raised up on a hill?

if not, that has to be one of the tallest in California.

Hi Kyle!  I think the one across the street from Ralph Velez's is bigger.  Anyone with a pic?  Search for that thread about the last meeting at Ralph's.  I'm sure there's a pic in there.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wow, given the right part of CA you all can grow some magnificent palms.

Palms rocks & concrete, actually looks real nice.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

All you have to do is look at a map to see that Point Loma is probably the best place in California to grow most palms. An elevated postion, jutting out in the ocean, at close to the southernmost latitude possible.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Good point Terry.  I think that the Malibu Hills, Palos Verdes penninsula, La Jolla and Point Loma all have the same type of elevated land close to the coast thing going for them, which usually means the lowest lows aren't so low.  One drawback = lack of growing heat.  I just love to think about the different microclimates that our topography and ocean influence make here in So Cal.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Off topic here but; I wonder if Catalina Island is a true USDA zone 11?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Paul and Bob, Thanks for the great tour of the Willoughby garden. This was the first garden I saw as well when I first got into this crazy hobby. I was instantly hooked! I must have asked Dennis a hundred questions and he patiently answered every one of them. Much of what I learned that day I still practice to this day. Great person and awesome garden!

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

(pohonkelapa @ Oct. 02 2007,18:07)

100_4748.jpg

100_4752.jpg

palm ritual.

100_4751.jpg

trying to get an idea of the whole garden.

What is this guy a hedyscepe?

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

You know Dan, I missed that. It sure looks like a Lepidorachis Mooreana!  If so, super cool!!!

(MattyB @ Oct. 04 2007,18:08)

Good point Terry.  I think that the Malibu Hills, Palos Verdes penninsula, La Jolla and Point Loma all have the same type of elevated land close to the coast thing going for them, which usually means the lowest lows aren't so low.  One drawback = lack of growing heat.  I just love to think about the different microclimates that our topography and ocean influence make here in So Cal.

You raise an interesting question, Matty  ???

Malibu doesn't experience frost but it does have very strong santa ana winds that dry out all vegetation.  Rancho Palos Verdes/La Jolla and, of-course, Pt Loma don't normally have strong winds.  Don't forget Newport Beach/San Clemente/Dana Point & Santa Monica as some of the mildest areas along the coastline.

I live in USDA 11 due to my elevation/hilltop but am 15 miles inland from the Pacific.  It is warmer in the summer and even in the winter than most of the above cities but the wind can be very destructive and humidity can drop to critical levels  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Wow, I love the ocean view that was posted from the hilltop.  I also love the tall seeding king palms seen in the background of some of the pictures.  Looks distinctly California.  

If one has money to live in the right place, and the sense to plant the right species (as you have shown in the many pictures), a palm garden in CA can give S. FL a run for its money.  Its a bit like comparing apples to oranges, though, since there are so many mutually exclusive species.  

If money were no object, I'd be tempted to move into one of those mansions overlooking the ocean; or maybe buy two and bulldoze one to create yard for palms!

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Just curious, but why do people in CA say they live in a USDA Zone 11? There are not any and this is from the USDA. Maybe someone can claim this from a few temperature readings because their microclimate is great, but it seems weird to claim a zone shared with Honolulu, Hawaii; Mazatlan, Mexico and the Florida Keys. I know Pasadena has a great climate, but the lowest recorded temperature was 21 degrees. I see the average low is 44.3 °, but I see it has froze there every so often too. Also, if you look at Wunderland private readings from areas around Pasadena last Jan, I doubt there were any over 40 during the big freeze. I am not beating anyone up - just asking, but I do not see how there is zone 11 in CA even with perfect microclimates.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len

http://mgonline.com/zonemap.html

http://www.backyardgardener.com/zone/index.html [type in area codes for LA

A common misnomer is to compare climate. USDA zones merely measure probability of frost/average coldest minimum.  Ex: San Francisco has a 365-day growing season; just like Key West  :cool:

Frost-free zones encircle the LA basin [south-facing foothills much more mountainous than in San Diego Co.  Also more winter wind [esp at night] that mixes the air & can become downright balmy  :P On the other hand, the wind shreds/dries out palms  :(

I communicate with other local weather nerds like myself who live in the foothills.  They were all bummed over not experiencing frost last Jan  :laugh: My interest in palm trees is a result of realizing that winter lowest are in 40's.  Pasadena did observe frost last Jan. except in the upper hills/Altadena/La Canada/La Crescenta.  In-fact Getty Center/Santa Monica foothills stayed above 40F during entire freeze.

elHoagie [where is Jack?] is in zone 11 & Dave use to live in El Sereno

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I have never seen any other USDA map showing zone 11 in CA. That is the first and only one. Maybe that one was just more detailed. I read online that the USDA did not put any Zone 11 in CA - so I must have read wrong or something old. I still can't see true Zone 11 palms and tropicals succeeding here long term like they would in HI or FL Keys. I understand it is not a comparison of climate and it is only an average low, but I beleive even these great microclimates will still freeze at some point in history where HI and FL Keys in general would not.

Hey, where did you see San Fran has a 365 growing season? I went and looked at Sunset just for fun and it was not stating that.

I find all this weather stuff interesting too. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Happ,

In case ElHoagie doesn't answer for a few days: He has temporarily relocated to a place that's definitely NOT Zone 11: the summit of Mauna Kea here on the Big Island. No palms there! As a matter of fact, there's no vegetation whatsoever... :(

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

ElHoagie Update:

El and LaHoagie just left my place this morning for the airport, about a half hour ago.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes