IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Farm

Tad

cramming in a few more before 08! :)

this is the tower/antenae block, hopefully these washies will run out the door this spring!

post-18-1199159482_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

dacts and sylvestris, then these rows blend into a massive section of canarys

post-18-1199159546_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

washies and meds

post-18-1199159594_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

little washies and cidps.

this is going to be a great shot for next year to compare a years worth of growth.

post-18-1199159663_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

backside

post-18-1199159692_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the last row of washies

post-18-1199159729_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I really like this book.

lots of good information, some of the cold tolerance numbers kinda not sure but we are going to do some testing!!

excellent book, got it from my parents for christmas!!

Thanks Dad!

post-18-1199159850_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

my fave bouganvilla, semi thornless variety, I belive the name is surprise.

post-18-1199159973_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

My horticultural supply house, KBW excellent group to work with!!

Kinney Bonded Warehouse, Donna Tx., Tyler Tx, and Allende Mexico!!

post-18-1199160082_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Ginger, red bloooms I belive!!

post-18-1199160367_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

multi tasking,  :P

post-18-1199160426_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1199160496_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Thank you everybody who participated in this thread, I had fun doing it and the 08 thread is gonna be nifty, I just know it. I would like to thank my wife and kids for putting up with my mania and of course my Dad who is responsible for my love of plants!!

Happy new year to every one!!

Thank You

Tad

post-18-1199163463_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Thats about the best ending ive ever seen to a thread LOL!

thanks again for all the detailed pics!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Hi,

Good looking picture's with a happy end! I'm looking forward to te new treath from 2008 :)

Also i love to see a picture's of you're queen field at the end of 2008 :)

Robbin

Southwest

Tad,

Ohh, and I thought you were sky-rocketing to 1,000 post. Post # 732 was pretty good....... :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

1000 posts? hmmm I never thought about that? :) the new 2008 thread will be along shortly, sorta need a rest for a bit

I am glad you all like d it.

Abraham Lincoln

Great ending!  Paul?  Matty? taking notes?  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Tad,

Great thread! You've a very impressive operation there. And I too got a laugh out of post #732!

Happy New Year! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Great post!Keep them coming.Post 733 was also great for some of us who have changed a few of those over the years!

What you look for is what is looking

you guys are great, thank you,

so do you want a new thread, as I did say I would start a new one or do you want to continue with this one?

Abraham Lincoln

Tad , what an epic post mate , but tell me when are you going to get serious ?

hehehehehehe  Seriously you would have to be the most full on serious palm grower around . Never seen so many rows .. Lots of canefarmers up here devoted a few paddocks to growing palms . Not many left now , saw one get dozed down and replanted with sugarcane , so sad as there was lots of Archo. purpurea in the front rows .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael, the ducks guts, I am just wrapped to be here :)

seriously though, I am small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Abraham Lincoln

Hi Tad

You have an amazing farm and garden there with plenty of hard work that has gone it there!! By the looks of things, with plenty more to come, you know you have started a monster but a nice one! You have your own little bit of paradise custom made!! I’m sure Dial would have a few extra plants that would look good in your garden, tell him I said that, hint hint!!! There just doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day over here you start at one end and by the time your just about finished you need to start again, it’s lucky we all love what we do us palm and plant Nuts. Great work and an excellent thread!!!! I must put more time into looking at the board in 2008 as I miss a lot of great listings.

All the best for 2008 and say Hi to Dial and Crockett for me.

Clayton

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Thanks Clayton, the dodgy weasels are duck hunting in Mexico, they should be back by the weekend!!

and I got word they went out foraging in the brush with out me :angry:

yeah its gonna get big and wooly outta control here real quick with spring approaching. I am really looking forward to getting on with it!!

Abraham Lincoln

No rest for you mister, get to work on that new thread :D J/K Enjoyed this thread a lot and looking forward to "The Farm III ".

You should put a link to this thread in the  first post of the 08 thread, that way new peeps will get to see it easier as it drops back into the depths of the board.

Take care,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Yeah, let's see some more Tad. Ugh, that is if there is more?!!  :D

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

oh, theres more all right...muhahahahahahahahaha... just you be patient!

all when the time is right.

Abraham Lincoln

*patiently awaits*  :)

this is a great thread. Tad you should post a "how I caught the palm bug" thread. Id guess your father had a love for plants too?

keep up the good work and I definently look forward to the new year and its forthcommings!

Luke

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

getting awfully close, and I got a super duper photo o rama road trip coming up..if it all goes right its gonna be a blockbuster, it will have action , adventure, braheas,and everything!!

If it dont pan out I still have a lot of super duper pics and stuff for the new thread!! :)

Abraham Lincoln

• 5 years later...

Tad, this is an epic, palm-loving story that deserves a bump. Anyone who's been around since 2007 will enjoy revisiting glimpses of your grand-scale farming; anyone who's joined PalmTalk since 2008 will have their eyes wide-opened to the details, varieties, efforts, and scale of your borderlands operation. It took me three sessions over as many days to read the whole thing, but what a rewarding read!

Thanks.

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

tad hasn't been around for quite a few years.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

What happened to Tad? Anyone hear from I'm lately?

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Ken was the last person I know of to see him. Couple years back I think.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sure miss all those Tin Horn Nancy snark calls. When he and Steve from Houston came rolling at you or yours, it was sure to be a long night. Wish I could remember all those Texas witticisms.

What you look for is what is looking

And the thread goes on. (Whispers beat in the background)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 months later...

BUMP. I am heading down Tad's way next week and will definitely look him up. If anyone has his non-PT email address or other contact info, please PM me with it.

• 7 months later...

BUMP. I am heading down Tad's way next week and will definitely look him up. If anyone has his non-PT email address or other contact info, please PM me with it.

What happened?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B