IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Farm

Tad

so fierce!! :D

post-18-1198963668_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(palmotrafficante @ Dec. 29 2007,16:26)

this one had me worried for a while this spring.

What kind of cold did you get to cause this damage?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I dont really recall, HEAVY FROST, and then low temps with lots of wet rain....it was after cali got there butts handed to them on a platter last year some time in january, I was in Florida at a nursery show.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

Let me know when the rattlesnake round up is, and where the hell Freer TX is. When I was a kid there used to be a rattlesnake roundup in S. Georgia. As I recall it was in the winter time when the snakes were hibernating. They would crawl into "gopher" holes for the winter in sand dunes.  The "gopher" holes were actually tunnels dug by the native land tarapin. It was quite an event in S. Georgia and sometimes 75 people would attend. (in the backwoods).

There was an old man that I can't remember the name of, but he was sort of the guru of rattle snakes in S. Georgia and he supplied most of the snakes that were on display at a popular attraction in Florida....darn, mind is foggy, can't remember the name of the place, but Ross Allen was the well known herpotoligist at the place, and he had a TV show for awhile, and I met him a couple of times when I was a boy scout, and he would have a show for us. He supplied a Guila monster which I rubbed and felt the bumpy back. He said they were safe and not aggresive if not in the sun.

A rattle snake hunt in S. Texas sounds like fun, and an event. Let me know more about it. How about hearts of palm and rattle snake for dinner?

Dick

Richard Douglas

(palmotrafficante @ Dec. 29 2007,16:26)

this one had me worried for a while this spring.

What caused this leaf to look like this.  I had a W. Filifera look like this last year, and I finally ripped it out of the ground and replaced it because I got tired of looking at it.  It wasn't cold, I had another one right next to it with absolutely no damage whatsoever.  It put out really small, black crunchy leaves with spots and holes in it.  Actually the older fronds were MORE healthy than the newer ones coming out, kinda looked like this one, but I never did figure out what the problem was.  I also killed 2 washy robusta from overwatering last year.

I dont think there has ever been a heart of palm canned or otherwise consumed in Freer Tx, I could be wrong but if I was a gamblin man I would bet thats never happened!!

Freer is east of corpus christi in brush country, its the 3 way intersection of hwy 59 hwy 16, and hwy 44

round up is the 1st weekend of may, lots and lots of oilfield folks not the cheese and wine crowd as one might suspect.

I have not been in years, there may well be a cheese and wine booth, but I doubt it!

Abraham Lincoln

(syersj @ Dec. 29 2007,17:05)

What caused this leaf to look like this.  

I spoke with several other people who are a lot smarter than I ,we compared notes and came up with that since we all had big bizzies,and they all got a leaf or 2 like this,and the only other thing we had in common was the cold and wet that thats what must have caused it? we could be wrong its possible, but thats what I think it is, it has since shot out all new and all good leaves, so I am not worried about it any more.

Abraham Lincoln

view from my roof, didnt go all the way to the top, its a steep roof and I am sorta a chicken :P

post-18-1199056639_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1199056671_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

The little patch of washies in the very very back is the backside of my dads place.

post-18-1199056791_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I repotted some stuff from Mexico and put them up in the green house till spring.

post-18-1199056920_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

my new rhapis in its new pot!

post-18-1199057026_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

anybody care for a stab at identifying these?

post-18-1199058240_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

post-18-1199058290_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

? ? ?  a word to the wise, and since I can safely say that through a wild turn of events my smuggling days are done, If your going to smuggle plants make sure they are not thorny from the leaf to the roots like these!!

post-18-1199058403_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

last of march 07, man seems like an eternity ago,

post-18-1199059315_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

this is the pad where the big square shade house, now known as casa de cinco de mayo(thats the day we finished it) sits!!

post-18-1199059389_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

wow! like I said, what a long time ago, in just the blink of an eye! ! !

Heck ya look at batch of washies over in the left corner, all thats left of that mess is 2 giant doubles and some memories!! :)

post-18-1199059468_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

look how small the dacts are in the back ground. funny you think stuff just isnt growing until you look at an old photo from a couple of months back!!

post-18-1199059671_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

this front bed is where the (sob) sylvestris used to be

post-18-1199059889_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

after my wife got done giving it the chop, this is all part of the upcoming re landscraping of my front yard!!

post-18-1199059970_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a little re shuffle this spring if you will,

post-18-1199060055_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Dick and All,

The snake place was the Serpentarium. Bill Has was the owner. He sold and a shoping center was built. The giant concreat Corba that was a landmark was to be moved to a high school (the cobras) but it broke on trasit. Bill may still be alive milking sankes to help make anti-venom in Georga. I sold hin some Indigo snakes back in the day.

The place was full of palms!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Dick we also have the world famous snake farm on I-35 up by San Antonio and New braunfels, one of my favorite tourist traps of all times!!

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Dec. 28 2007,15:49)

small canary blooming, someone was wondering about how big they are before they bloom, I get alot of them with a 1/2 to a foot of trunk that bloom, at off times too, but always the male, never the female.

Dear Tad  :)

thanks for this information on canary flowering & fruiting...since i keep asking this question too often in our posts !

And in the new post my favouriate still will be 'you trimming your bizmarkia with your family watching you & your pets also seems to be very intreasted as to what its master is doing'  :)

And iam sorry for the phoenix sylversteris...even here when i give lots of water to it,the leaves start growing white melly bugs followed by red ants.i stoped watering this palm_believe me its fine and no infection at all.so it shows that it like to be grown as seen in the wild ! no special pampering..needed at all.

And tad you look great without your hat on...i was thinking you are bald head...(surprised).

Wish you & your family a very happy & joyful New-Year_2008... :)

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

here is the same ish spot as post number 658   up above, sure seems like the year sailed past pretty darned fast. new years eve hear we are, the lsat day for pictures on my infamous farm thread!

post-18-1199108073_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Kris, I wear the hat to keep my real hair from getting in my eyes!

post-18-1199108320_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Kris, here is a picture of me and my youngest boy, I like my hair cut short, I am not one of those people who wear funny hats to cover the fact they are bald, when I do go bald, I dont think it will matter much to me!

the cap wearing thing is more of a South Texas farmer thing, and look at these caryotas a year and a half from  gallons, not bad if I do say so myself!

post-18-1199114331_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

heres the same caryotas about a year and a half ago!!

post-18-1199114396_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

Thanks for the experiences of your farm/family and Texas living. Enjoyed it all. Happy New Year !

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thank you Jeff, had a blast doing it, looking forward to 08 as well!!!

see what these rangpur limes will look like a year from now :)

anybody else like these? lime  flavor on steroids with a dash of atomic power!!

post-18-1199115717_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a year and a half ago

post-18-1199119086_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

today

post-18-1199119130_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Dick

The biggest rattlesnake roundup I know of is in Sweetwater west of Abilene.  They claim to have harvested 123 tons of snakes in the 43 years of the roundup.  It's a three day event.  Here's last spring's schedule:  

http://gosw.about.com/gi....Fid%3D6

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Jack jack at the wheel!!

post-18-1199119184_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

if you give a mouse a cookie...

post-18-1199119284_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Steve,

Thanks for the info, but that's a much more elaborate affair than I was expecting. I think I will cop out. I thought I could just watch from a safe distance as the snake hunters gathered their snakes. I suppose I was more adventuresom when I was younger. :)

Dick

Richard Douglas

awwwwwwwww c'mon Dick it's not like we would volunteer you for the sleeping bag full o rattlers show!

see they got plexi glass,

post-18-1199120133_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

I sleep with 3 dogs now, some on each side of me and they pin me under the covers, sometimes with one as a foot warmer. I sure don't need any snakes for bed fellows. :)

Dick

Richard Douglas

you dont stop playing becasue you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing!!

Abraham Lincoln