IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Farm

Tad

another 750 right here...

post-18-1198714135_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Phoenix sylvestris, these have been in 38's too long, I like to shift them into gallons sooner, but space and time have not allowed

post-18-1198714282_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

phoenix dact, which also have spent too much time in the trays

post-18-1198714382_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

meds, these were planted late in august and some are still germinating

post-18-1198714616_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

this is a root maker brand plug cup, I bought this container system as an experiment several years ago, then never used them, so I tried these dacts in them the idea is the wide open spaces air prune root tips causing more root growth... I guess

post-18-1198718234_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

another shot, less root circling etc

post-18-1198718281_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

here is a typical root ball from the root maker brand plug system

post-18-1198718484_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

here is a 38 ct tray plug vs. root maker

post-18-1198718542_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

they are all going in gallons and I will continue the test to see which if either produce a better palm, some nurserys I know swear by the rootmaker, we will see.

post-18-1198718653_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I dont know why but the guys didnt want to work of the trailer today, the wind was blowing 90 to nothing and I think they dont like it because the trailer/potting table sits they would be eating potting soil all day.

post-18-1198718782_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

on to the red trailer to be shuttled to the big shade house.

post-18-1198718838_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

1st load on the way to the shade house

post-18-1198718903_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

stacked in blocks of 50, easy for inventory and weeding.

not to far to reach across etc.

post-18-1198718974_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

tequila agave rooted out these may ship to a grower in georgia, as is, if not they will bump into gallons and go out to retail in the spring

post-18-1198719125_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Roberto bringing in another set of dacts

post-18-1198719184_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a different kind of leaf pattern varigated ginger, I have some in my yard and I like these alot better than the regular old kind

post-18-1198719261_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Dec. 26 2007,20:17)

this is a root maker brand plug cup, I bought this container system as an experiment several years ago, then never used them, so I tried these dacts in them the idea is the wide open spaces air prune root tips causing more root growth... I guess

I bought plants this year in a pot, which the vendor said air pruned the roots for less circyling.  It is similar to the one in your pics.

post-1207-1198719319_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

some kind of ground cover, I am sposed to grow a bunch of this for a local architect, but thats an 08 project for sure

post-18-1198719335_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

yes keith thats definatley one, dont know which brand but I have seen them before, at nursery shows.

Abraham Lincoln

Zamia picta, I got these from redlands last january when I was down in Florida for the tpie show!

post-18-1198719459_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I thought they were goners after last years cold and ups kicking thier butts on shipping them home.

post-18-1198719805_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Abraham Lincoln

a little orchid blooming, these are not anything spectacular but I had alot of fun when I found them, they are native to somewhere in Mexico, but I got these from a mailorder place years ago :;):

post-18-1198719944_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I grew them on this rock, and they stuck quite well

post-18-1198719993_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

another grouping a fixin to do theyre thang, these are growing in a half of a palm trunk I hollowed out with a chainsaw!!

post-18-1198720085_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a table load of washies that got all funked up on me?

I dont have a clue why but this whole batch got up to a certain size and started crapping out, I had other batches from different trees, never missed a beat?!?!?!

just one of those things, but it is that kinda setback that is the reason I germinate so many seeds.....cant have production interrupted

post-18-1198720304_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

ceriferas, these are some erratic germinators as well

post-18-1198720363_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

some are huge and others are just starting to pop

post-18-1198720417_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

copernicia macroglossa the cuban petticoat palm.

I am trying a couple of these, I got them last year after seeing some at Jeff Searles place....a must if your ever in the area!!

post-18-1198720646_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

slow as the dickens, but they are so worth it!!

post-18-1198720697_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

almost a year but its rooted out this tall one one gallon, I will plant these in the new palm garden , another 08 tease :;):

post-18-1198720774_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Mystery Livistona....I bought a couple..didnt know what they were or would be, Now I wish I had bought a few more... isnt that always the way it happens?

post-18-1198720889_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

dypsis a whole batch of palms , i just cant seem to get as wild and excited about as the rest of the folks here on this board, they just dont get me excited, I have a few but who knows what kind they are.

post-18-1198721026_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

some more of the lil buggers

post-18-1198721079_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

teddy bear I think

post-18-1198721132_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I have a bigger one but the dogs chewed the top up a little bit and its kinda ugly,alive and making a come back but kinda ugly

post-18-1198721214_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

not quite a lutescens, the leaf tips squre of a bit, another dypsis but I couldnt tell you which one!

post-18-1198721321_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

nannorrhops supa silver,

post-18-1198721400_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

this one is growing out in my ponytail patch, I dont know how it got there, I couldnt even guess, the ponytails came in as a bulk load bareroot from Mex....truly a mystery!

post-18-1198721565_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I at first thought it was maybe some kind of brahea, but on further inspection and guestimation,consulting of some one waaaaayyy more knowledgeble than my self ala Mr. Richard Travis figured nannorrhops.... look for these in the 08 thread!!

post-18-1198721692_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I love cycads, but Texas just doesnt have the market for them like kalifornia does

post-18-1198721813_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln