IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Farm

Tad

ok Dick, one little peek just for you, and to break 400!!

post-18-1198441747_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

some seed shots!!

post-18-1198442014_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

hmmmmm, now how did those wind up in my luggage!! :;):  did they or didnt they?

post-18-1198443008_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

Thanks for the photos.  On the first photo I see a small green frond to the left. Is that a sucker off the mother plant, and does that mean they don't show silver until the fronds are larger? I have a 1 gal. B decumbens with split fronds and they are all green.

Dick

Richard Douglas

sun and shade play some part in it from what I can tell, just my untrained eye on what i see in habitat.

full sun gets the gray shady stays greener, they are a-1 boogers to transplant because they are soooo  sllooowwwww

Abraham Lincoln

full sun

post-18-1198443944_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1198444549_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

blooms

post-18-1198444592_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

seeds

post-18-1198444627_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

i hop these  set and make seed

post-18-1198444678_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

odd leaf type I have nicknamed big thumbs

post-18-1198444824_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

another leaf type same clump

post-18-1198444905_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

always with one blade big and wide? ? ?

post-18-1198444964_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

right out my office door

post-18-1198445079_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

i like this one but it only sets seed about every 2 or 3 years, very erratic.

post-18-1198445142_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

one of my very first cubans I ever grew from seed planted here as a 5 gallon almost 9 years ago.

survived the cursed snow 0f 04

post-18-1198445235_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

front door med fan, also an area of interest for the big front yard redo of 08!

post-18-1198445298_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Looks to me like your going to have one heck of a redo in 08, did you say the family was going on a month long holiday to the azores?  

I had no idea anyone was field growing royals in the valley, alright thats it, Im going to make a road trip this spring, now to clear that with the boss :)

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Tad,

Do you remember the source of those Rhapis? Several years ago there was a Rhapis floating around in S. Fla. and they were for sale at the S. Fla. palm sale. I was told the seeds came from Hanan Island in China. They were labeld R. excelsa, but they are something different. One vendor at the sale had several plants for sale and they were veariable.

I bought one of the plants and it's in Calif. now. Mine looks very much like the  photos. #411 and #413. Mine has a few wide leaf blades and they come to a sharp point. Some of the fronds on mine are fairly large measuring 18" across.

It grows very slowly for me in Calif. so I suspect it's of tropical origan. Mine is a male plant and only has two canes, but it blooms every spring. I think it's a new species.....or at least new to the USA. Mine tends to get very pale  with 50% shade, but greens up in more shade.

I hope you planted every one of those seeds.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Forgot to say, post #408 looks like male flowers to me. Maybe Jon from Australia will give his oppinion, as he's the expert.

Dick

Richard Douglas

the seeds are quietly resting in a community pot in the mist haus , if we can keep the real cold weather away that Rhapis has a butt load of seed setting on it, My dad got that rhapis a loooooong time ago from an old now defunct nursery here in town, but that nurserys owner couldve gotten it from anywhere, he was quite the plantsman.

The front yard redo has been a long time a coming, the whole yard needs redoing so I have decided to start at the front and work to the back.

THE AZORES?! ?! they told me they were going to phoenix!!

Actually this is the first Christmas in a while we are spending here at the farm, usually we hightail it to phoenix when the brides school lets out. I like Phoenix quite a bit, except the lack of humididty is a pain in the ass getting shocked touching the car gets old quick.

Abraham Lincoln

If 408 is male, its 2 different plants in the same clump, because about 6 inches away in the same nest is where those seeds came from, and it is definatley not out of the realm of possibility that it could be male flowers. rhapis are not one of my strong points, I am doing more of them in the nursery because now the fields are almost all planted out I will have more space available for long term container plants.

Abraham Lincoln

To, Tad, Dick,Jon and others,

Typically, what species do you find in the landscape or even growing in pots, will set seed? Providing you have males/females. I have R. excelsa in pots and planted in the yard but never set seed. On the other hand, Rhapis subtilis has set seed many times in the pots and at my house. I just recently planted some R. laoensis(hope it's the real deal) , R. humilis, and R. multifida. A little too early, even though a couple of these have started to flower, but I was wondering if they will freely set seed on their own eventually. OK, experts, give it to me.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff your asking the wrong guy here, I can grow them out like crazy, but when it comes to the hows and whys of seeding and varietys, I am a mental midget. I used to get some seed from an old botanical garden close to my house of mutifida, but the owner of the property dug it and moved it to his house,humilis  which I think is the one with seeds in the above posts we get seed from with some regularity, I never see the excelsa at my dads place bloom at all and its a huge stand covering several square yards. I aquired a bunch of multifida from last years trip to FLA. I am not parting with a one, they are all going in the ground for seed stock, yes I know about the time the kids put me in an old folks home they will be ready.  the crazy cup leaf by my office door sets seed ocasionaly but very few germinate and non have come true with the cuppy tyoe leafs yet.

I forgot to get John Demotts opinion on that particular clump when he was here in november, we did discuss rhapis just not that one. I will get some more pictures of various ones that we have growing around the property.

Abraham Lincoln

Jeff, Tad, Jon, and All,

We are sliding off subject here with Rhapis, and Tad has stated he will start a new thread in 2008, so I'm going to start a new thread called RHAPIS CULTURE.  There are also two threads currently on VEARIGATED RHAPIS. Lets consolidate this info into one thread. My answer, or non answer to you, Jeff, will be in the new thread.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Tad,

Thanks, thats good to hear about the Rhapis multifida. Mine is now flowering for the first time as we speak, so I hope there will be some seed later.

I hope some others will join in and give us their experiences as well. Hell, your well on your way to 500 post. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Let 'er  rip guys,  this kind never blooms for me, but it pups out like crazy,

post-18-1198505167_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

multifida, I got this one from a nursery guy in Harlingen, it was a huge clump, I planted iit with the greatest of care, IT ALL DIED, save for these 2 canes which are doing well? !?! ?!?  doo happens even to the best of palms

post-18-1198505274_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

these were planted next to the palapa and they never make seed, this particular planting gets a pretty harsh dose of sun for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, it took mthem a while but they have finally taken off and started gaining ground.

post-18-1198505403_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

these are going to go into 3 gallons and be split up later, I have a new theory that John Demott helped me think out and I am gonna give it a try using these and some from my dads nursery!!

post-18-1198505499_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I got these from a batch of seed from Roger at select seeds, I know, I know many of you dont care for him..blah blah blah he is 15 minutes from me so I make good use of his supplies!

post-18-1198505597_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

This little tee tiny gem came to me via Richard Travis!!

its a koban or lilliputian, not sure which, just glad to have it in my collection, I am going to the dreaded depot in a lil bit and I will get it and a few others some fancy new pottery to sit in. I might even get so ambitious as to repot and shuffle the patio around the pallapa today... but probonaly not!! :)

post-18-1198505770_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

ha I mooned you!!! :laugh:

post-18-1198713531_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

bamboo, this is getting the big split in 08 to screen of some annoying neighbors and road noise!

post-18-1198713633_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

This is like turkey and dressing for palms!!

post-18-1198713711_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

mix it up right in the kitchen sink!

post-18-1198713805_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

mmmmmmm fertigation!!

post-18-1198713874_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

and application!!

inverted wobbler action

post-18-1198713921_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

empty space is not earning us any money now is it?

post-18-1198713985_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

thats space enough for 950 one gallon pots in this pic, which was previously occupied by queens

post-18-1198714085_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln