IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Farm

Tad

almost done with the smaller bed

post-18-1198118921_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

another pallet of bricks for the outside walkways

post-18-1198118965_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

ground cloth installed on sides to prevent dirt seepage

and start filling it up

post-18-1198119016_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

side walks and plants for the garden are coming up in a bit

post-18-1198119065_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

still quite a few ties left :)

post-18-1198119173_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I will finish this thread by new years and start a new one for 08 for the new year. I thank everybody who has responded I enjoy the feed back and hope that you all have as much fun watching as I do posting the pics.

Abraham Lincoln

mettalicas waiting to get stuck in the new digs

post-18-1198181560_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

another load

post-18-1198181594_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

ready for plants

post-18-1198181633_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

right now the lights pretty filtered, when spring and summer roll around the bannanas will fill in alot more and should get a little more shade! thats the plan anyway!

post-18-1198181711_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

high noon temps inside vs. out and nice humididty levels in the mist haus!

post-18-1198181783_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

brick for the outer 2 sidewalks

post-18-1198190475_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

This whole building boom is a pain in the butt, not so many years ago I was hauling these same adobe bricks ut of Mexico for around 9 to 11 cents a piece, tax free, these at a local supply house are now running .48 cents each.. :angry: , called several places and my old supply house was still the cheapest! wholly cow, theyre just cooked mud!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr the things I get myself into!

post-18-1198190820_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

The boss lady looking at the butchered duranta NOT PLEASED!!! :cool:

wait till its all done honey your gonna love it!!

post-18-1198190867_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Hi,

Nice work & picture's again, and almost 40C that must be hot too work. I have working a couple time with 40C but i was drinking a lot of bottle water! I was working in the South of France then... :)

I keep looking too you're new treath for 2008 :)

Robbin

Southwest

ok folks an earlier thread about heart of palm salad gave me an idea so these next few shots may not be for the squeamish :P

Abraham Lincoln

our first victim I can hear the jaws music duuunhhhhnah duuuuuuunnnhhhhhaa

post-18-1198354259_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

scalped like custer,

post-18-1198354305_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

The SouthTexas chainsaw Massacre........

post-18-1198354349_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

The Horror, The Horror....aaaaggghhhhhhhhh

post-18-1198354409_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Roberto and Chilango, showed me how to slit it down the side with a linoleum knife, didnt reallly take to long

post-18-1198354605_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1198354642_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

gettin down into the heart of the matter.....wow that was bad thank you for being there and sharing that with me.

post-18-1198354696_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Roberto chows in to the first one, he said it was nowhere near as sweet as royal palms, washies I have to spare, royals...net yet but I am working on it.

post-18-1198354788_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the heart, of the heart of palm salad

post-18-1198354860_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

inside cutting the heart into thin slices

post-18-1198355329_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

not bad topped with a little raspberry vinergarette, but I will say this I would 10 times rather sell the palm and buy a jar of artichoke hearts!!

The flavor was very neutral, not bitter,not sweet, and they brown pretty quick like when you peel a bananna and let it sit, at least now I can say I tried eating my own palm hearts. If I ever host another psst meeting I will have to serve some.

post-18-1198355560_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad, quite an operation you've got going there. The bed of metallicas is going to look great once they get settled in.

Happy Holidays!

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Hey who the heck stole all my gallons?

post-18-1198436599_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

ahhh some of them ended up going to louisiana, some were planted in the field, here is a portion of the queen palms we shipped to La. just the other day.

post-18-1198436699_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a little over 3000 gallons came outta this house the other day and it still didnt make much of a dent, theis coming spring is goping to be a lotta action going on!!

post-18-1198436796_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a set of washies, these will be in the field in less than a year from now.

post-18-1198436914_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

olives continue to grow well.

post-18-1198436968_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

cidps for this spring, only a couple more weeks till the rush begins!!

post-18-1198437052_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

meds starting to pup and fill out,

post-18-1198437121_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

these olives came in right before Thanksgiving the 18th I belive, this one is being rooted out in straight perlite.

Not bad considering the weathers been cool.

post-18-1198437242_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Livistona Decora, Thank You to Bruce we traded seed and I got a great rate of germination on these!!

post-18-1198437358_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

now this is the second picture I took of these agaves, the first time they were about 300 miles from my Shade house. Now they are here and come spring we will plant them up in gallons. I am unfamiliar with this cultivar but I like the way it loooks

post-18-1198437482_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

and a flat of parryi, should be enough here to start a decent production  program on them.

post-18-1198437556_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

2 trays, I cant wait for some steady warm weather, I mean like in the 90's with warm nights!!

post-18-1198437661_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln