IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Farm

Tad

The florida sabals are the customers request, these palms are sorta like filler, cheap,durable,low maint, abundant, these are the pillars that the other stuff will be planted around, there are not enough Texas sabals with 10 to 12 foot trunks to do the job with and the few that are to be had run 50 dollars a trunk foot. So florida sabals it is. over the course of job this privatley owned cemetery will use more palms than most city parks(in palmy areas), you will see as the job comes along....The owner gaurantees that it will be the most beutiful cemetery ever, and I have to belive what he says.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Tad-Quite a set-up there.Where are you in Tx.Sorry to ask so many questions,but I amm new here...Also the Olive Trees are to sell?Grow crops ?

Chuck Bailey

(palmotrafficante @ Dec. 11 2007,22:13)

there are not enough Texas sabals with 10 to 12 foot trunks to do the job with and the few that are to be had run 50 dollars a trunk foot.

jim TX in the field by the time a Tx sabal readhes 5 or 6 feet trunk they are sold.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Chuck Iam in the Rio Grande Valley of Tx, the southern tip of the state, and ask away, I dont mind.

olives are for both, but I am just the grower.

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

I just read some of the last posts on this thread.  I usually avoid these overly long, multiple pagers, but I was curious.  Those Sabals that you dug, in Floriduh, we would never dream of moving them that small without a couple of root prunes.  I think Ken Johnson is the only guy with the guts to do it around here.  In fact, in South Florida, if you want Sabal palmetto, you must either buy 3 gallon size or something with 10 foot of trunk.  Nothing in between. Any secrets to your success?  Also, those large Florida Sabals on the flatbed, where did you get them?  Everybody around here gets them completely shorn of any fronds or they have no warranty.  They kind of look like Scud Missles.  It has been that way for 10 or 15 years now.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

jerry I think our soil may have somthing to do with sabals transplanting small like they do, I got the big ones from Howard Nelson Jr.  Tree planters of South Florida. they all come out of the same places, and like a whattaburger you can order them any way you want, booted,slick,hurricane cut,light head,medium head, etc....once again the customer requests they come with medium head thats what we deliver!! no warranty expressed or implied on any of the material.

Abraham Lincoln

spraying a little nufos to keep the creepy crawlers at bay

post-18-1197499121_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

mist sprayer uses high volume air blast and a fine spray to achieve greater coverage.

post-18-1197499296_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

looking down the business end

post-18-1197499360_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

you can just barley make out the line of spray in this pic, its easier to see in real life. The high volume of air and the super atomized spray really increases the coverage of the insecticide and surfactants, so you use less and achieve more as far as your chemicals are concerned.  Back in the day this sprayer was used for dressing up the corners and edges of fields where we didnt get acurate coverage from ariel applications by crop dusters.

post-18-1197499439_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

some bamboo going out to a customer.

post-18-1197499494_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

lol hey TAD nice pics...just wanna say about the joke Pink Cheese green grow....i heard it back when i did construction :D...hey um did u happen to do a job at the Rio Grande Veterans Cemetery....or know the guy...forgot his name but he didnt have a left arm....anyways dont know if u know him  but yeah :P um ok well just wanted to say whats up and your farm is looking awesome :D

No, I sure didnt do that job, dont know him, sorry.

Most of my busines is upstate, very little here in the RGV.

Thanks for the compliment

Abraham Lincoln

oh i remember the compant it was southern landscaping(valley garden center) i think hahaha oh thats cool upstate business :D um well maybe this weekend i got time to go and see your farm...but still debating it...pm me your number so if i get lost i can call u...if i go :D haha um ok well laters and were supposed to have cool weather with some rain,...grrrrr but at the same time woooo no watering the plants :D haha k well laters :D

John Clements owns southern, but last I saw he had both arms.

Abraham Lincoln

lol maybe it was someone else :P like a supervisor or something :P ahhh i forgot his name...either way the cemetery is awesome....loooks like a golf course :P ha ha. um if i go ill try to take u a coffee plant :P the seeds i traded them all for palm seeds and give aways. k well i hope nothing comes up so u can show me around :D

no worries fernando.

Abraham Lincoln

Dave and Jerry

From what I've read about the Sabals, their roots tend to die all the way back to the trunk if they're damaged or pruned.  I've seen them moved with no soil, no root ball at all because it's seemingly irrelevant once you mess with the roots.  In another study, someone documented the survivability of Sabal transplants with a full crown, hurricane cut, and total removal of the fronds; the last of the three had the hightest suvivability.  Makes sense if the roots die back - the fewer the fronds, the less water demand on the trunk.  In Houston, you will commonly see them cut back to one frond or the spear only before shipping.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Ok, so that begs the question that no one answered on my Bismarkia post.  I had to transplant it, and it roots also die back to the trunk if damaged.  Should I removed all of the fronds.  I cut about half of them, but I could take it back to one or two and the spear that has not opened.  I just don't know what to do and hate to lose it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have moved 3  bismarks 1 small one  moved it twice it sulked but lived,2 big ones like 10 foot trunks, they both survived I think it was a miracle, but they made it.

if yours was well rooted in the pot before you planted it and hadnt been in the ground long you prolly stand a good chance of making it. this time of year not much transpiration going on I think you dont need to trim much more off on your bismarckia.

Abraham Lincoln

Great thread Tad. I really appriciate the time and effort you put into this and some of your other ones. Your experiences you share with us are invaluable. Keep them coming.

Saludos

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

(palmotrafficante @ Oct. 03 2007,10:38)

i am also experimenting with the micro rotor sprinklers, great if you need a heavier droplet size.

awww pic didnt work but its on the but its on the second page post 68

OH MY GOD TAD  :o  :o  :o  With that setup u can root anything :P every 10 minutes for 8 seconds....i wish i had that setup i would root anything and everything :P haha ok well i really love this shot dunno why but i do :P

(Brian @ Dec. 12 2007,23:06)

Great thread Tad. I really appriciate the time and effort you put into this and some of your other ones. Your experiences you share with us are invaluable. Keep them coming.

Saludos

Muchos gracias senor Murphy. El gusto es mio.

I have a lot of fun doing it.

If you ever get up to the fronterra feel free to make arraingments to come by the farm.

Abraham Lincoln

Dear Tad  :)

iam sorry i have missed out much of the fun,those Trucks are fentastic and its very sweet of you to rememeber the fact i love things that are hevily built be it palms or macheneries..

And what i noticed is that your field grown palms loaded in the trucks are looking very very healthy to my eyes_great work tad.

And another thing that iam noticing more & more amoung the forum memebers is that you folks are preety open about your work..your collection,working modalities,equipments..tecnicks.etc.i simply adore you all for that quality..and i must say that i have not seem much of this quality here in the place that i live.. :(  and as days went by even i was becoming more of them...

Once again,i wish to tell iam sorry for being late to the party...purely due to lake of time since iam uploading stills of my banglore visit,parks...etc.And last but not the least now iam a married man.. :P

Wish you & your family merry christmas..

Lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks for the Pics Tad, I appreciate the time it takes.  I hope to make it down to the valley to go palm shopping next spring....

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

This has got to be the most comprehensive coverage of a Field Operation Nursery I have seen on the boards. I just fininished reading every post on this thread and I sure learned a lot. I did not realize you were running such a big operation Palmo.

Boy thats a lot of work but it must be fun. I did not realize how much equipment it takes to run it.

Thanks again for all the great posts.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Tad,

Thanks for your generosity sharing the pix with us.  A rare insight into what you can do and how you can do it.    The palms look great,  the step by step of the propagation house almost as good as a text book !

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

trying to spiff things up for the holiday season, a little beutification project or two before everyone goes home for Christmas.

post-18-1198099066_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I got a really good deal on as many Railroad ties as I want for free, so I am using them to define some beds and what not, they are not the prettiest things in the world and it may be sorta antiquated to use them but I kinda like them, and as I said the price was /is un beatable

post-18-1198099233_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

time to clean up and remove some of the MESS, arrrrgggghhhh the yucky part of the nursery which I really never like to show so I will just get rid of it all together!!

post-18-1198099322_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

what was I thinking the thatch palms are toooo close gotta movem and the big rock needs to come forward

post-18-1198099404_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

got that outta the way

post-18-1198099458_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

toss in some ties and some gravel

post-18-1198099516_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

starting to looka little less like a pig sty

post-18-1198099569_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I have some zamia males and females that will fit just right in this spot.

post-18-1198099639_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1198099764_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

mulch up the sides to give it that nice people live here look

post-18-1198099861_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

some single caryotas for a little west side shade

got these at redlands nursery on a trip down there a while back. when they get a lil bigger 2 of them will be relocated.

post-18-1198100114_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln