IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Farm

Tad

the grademaster!! it makes levelling out stuff a breeze!

post-18-1196896964_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

skipping a step because my other stick is in my wifes camera, harvesting fronds for a pallapa,

post-18-1196901737_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

smoke break, this is about 1000 fronds for a 14 foot diam pallapa

post-18-1196901812_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

1000 fronds is alot!

we sell these for a quarter each, if they cut and 75 cents if we cut and load.

post-18-1196901939_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the horror, the horror....I may catch some flack for this but at this stage it does not bother these little sabals at all, been doing it for years and no ill effects I assure you!

post-18-1196902062_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

mucho mulch, i  am trying an experiment here, mulching these to beds quite heavily, I applied a broad spectrum insecticide because rhino beetle grubs can be a big problem here, it is green chips, I am not too worried about nitrogen lock because these palms get watered with constant liquid feed.

post-18-1196902777_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1196902853_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

finished, sorta, I ran out about 3 buckets short

post-18-1196902932_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

east side of shade house

post-18-1196902995_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

mule palm

post-18-1196903035_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I can't wait to come see your operation, like a kid waiting for Christmas.  Gonna try for some time in late spring.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

now where did all that mulch go?

post-18-1196903443_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Well c'mon down.

I cant promise you it's all that exciting but I will be glad to show you around.

Abraham Lincoln

Tommorow is hole drilling 101, and pre emergent herbicide day!!  :P

Abraham Lincoln

another shot of the bismarckias and mule palms on the east side of the big shade house

post-18-1196974083_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

drilling holes, we use a pto powered auger like for fence posts to drill the holes for the one gallon palms, seems a little much machine for such a small hole right?

but consider the task of digging several thousand holes at a time, those hand held post hole diggers get pretty heavy after a while but the auger never gets tired!!

post-18-1196974234_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

each row has about 250 to 260 trees in it!

post-18-1196974292_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

spraying pre emergent herbicide called surflan, this will help keep the weeds at bay for a little while, lasts about 2 months.

we use a 1% solution

post-18-1196974385_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

we dont spray on top of the row, I am not to keen on surflan and queens, and I dont want the chemical down in the bottom of the hole

post-18-1196974498_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

first 3 rows of queens

post-18-1196974548_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

what does pink cheese green grow mean?

juan always sez this whenever I am around? :laugh:

post-18-1196974623_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1196974666_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1196974717_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

from the east road

post-18-1196974761_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

zooooooooom lense!!

post-18-1196974808_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Dec. 06 2007,15:57)

what does pink cheese green grow mean?

juan always sez this whenever I am around? :laugh:

Well, if you had pink skin, he might be referring to using you for fertilizer.   :)  :)  :)  :)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

ahhhhh we got flooded, flood irrigation that is.

post-18-1197210110_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

my two accomplices

post-18-1197210227_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1197210296_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1197210332_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

olive update, not 100% but not bad for having never tried before!

post-18-1197210425_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1197210477_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

stick swinging monkey for scale

post-18-1197213448_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

If you used water like that in California or Australia you'd be lynched by the local water authority.

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Dear Tad  :)

great work & a lovely farm and your pet looks great too... :)

my eyes were just feasting on each stills of that lovely farm !

And i wish i had one here in south india.

Thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Tad,

Just wondering if you have ever considered using a tree spade to dig your palms?

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

(Cycadcenter @ Dec. 09 2007,10:54)

Tad,

If you used water like that in California or Australia you'd be lynched by the local water authority.

This is the way we irrigate, cropland,orchards,tree farms, this system was set up by the army corp of engineers and wap programs back in the 20's and 30's

we get allotments based on acreage, and use a meter to account for the quantity used. our ground also retains moisture for quite sometime, we wont irrigate this field again until march if we get rain, even a small amount it could hold us over till april.

all the water we use comes from the rio grande river, if we or others dont use it, it dumps into the gulf and our chance to use it is gone forever.

Abraham Lincoln

(Cycadcenter @ Dec. 09 2007,11:31)

Tad,

Just wondering if you have ever considered using a tree spade to dig your palms?

Bruce

Bruce, I have stayed up late at night putting the pencil to the spade issue, I have come to several conclusions, until the cost of labor rises to a certain point, it is not cost effective. you still have to have a certain amount of crew to run a spade, trimming, tying,stretch wrapping, loading etc.  another issue, is the spade wont paint the house when things are slow, a spade wont pot up 15,000 one gallon palms, a spade wont mow the yard or help you move your grandmas furniture when she decides to move. And belive you me, I have a good friend and businees asssociate who has spades.. I love them, they are the bomb diggety,  but they just dont fit out program right now.

Abraham Lincoln

Tad, where do you get your mule palms from.  Do you "make" them or do they hybridize naturally from queens and butias, or do you have another supplier?  Just curious, I may want to look into getting some in the spring...

Jim, I got those mules from Grant at Horticultural Consultants Inc. in Houston

Out of the 5 one has a green butt and the other 4 are red/maroonish color.

post-18-1197232794_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln