IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

LIVISTONA's

M@ximus

Dear Friends  :)

shall i share a few stills of fan palms which i hope are the palms in discussions_iam humbly asking this permission because i see this thread is being interacted by pro's in this

palm plantation arena...so if my stills deemed irrelavent kindly bear with my Mis Adventure !

these are those palm's who names are not known to me but are very common to india..they look & appear to me close to these livistonia's..

post-108-1191424899_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Oct. 03 2007,17:22)

the other fan palm...

Kris !   I    can't   ID   ,  But  is  very  beautiful!

Could  you  post  more  closely  pics  of  details  ?

Ciao  M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

(krisachar @ Oct. 04 2007,08:32)

And here is the close-up of the second palm which is in the ground..

this  could  be  a  Livistona  Jenkinsiana????

Please   help  to  Id      this  kris  beauty

M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

(krisachar @ Oct. 04 2007,08:30)

Dear Max  :)

here are the close ups on the first,second order...

Kris  ,  I  don't  know  what  is  this!!

Any  Idea?

M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

There's something incredibly primeval about Livistona palms. I wish I had planted some at the start of my campaign which started out with feather leaf desire only. This has changed but unfortunately, the room for Livistonas is limited dramatically.

I can stare at them for ages, haunting me with their timeless beauty.

Oo my little pretty one, pretty one

When you gonna give me some Livistona?

Oo you make my motor run, my motor run

Gun it coming off of the line, Livistona

Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty mind

I always get it up with a touch of the younger kind

My-ee my-ee my-ee ahee ah woo!

Ma ma ma  Livistona

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Oct. 04 2007,07:16)

There's something incredibly primeval about Livistona palms. I wish I had planted some at the start of my campaign which started out with feather leaf desire only. This has changed but unfortunately, the room for Livistonas is limited dramatically.

Ma ma ma  Livistona

You so crazy Wal. :)

I'd love to hear you change " Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer. Maybe a song about Calamus or something.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(Wal @ Oct. 04 2007,07:16)

Ma ma ma  Livistona

Wal, you can always move rural and plant as many livistonas as you want.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wal, you can always move rural and plant as many livistonas as you want.

This will come to pass one day I hope. Also hope I'm able to plant out big time.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, are you saying you've got the knack for Livistona?

A lot of people in Oz just don't touch this genus. Many palm collectors stay away from Livistona, but eventually come to appreciate them. I was the same for a long time, but have changed my ways and have several species growing here. A lot of them are reasonably quick growing in my climate.

L.chinensis

L.concinna

L.decora

L.fulva

L.jenkinsiana

L.lanuginosa

L.mariae

L.nasmophylla

L.nitida

L.rigida

L.robinsoniana

L.rotundifolia

L.saribus (red and green)

L.speciosa

L.victoriae

The one species I always manage to kill is L.alfredii.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Enclosed are  a few photos of Livistonas around the property. It was very wet and overcast.  I have a heavy canopy where most of the grow so pardon the resolution.

Best wishes,

Ed

post-562-1191861246_thumb.jpg

This is a  L. australis under heavy canopy. This has seen 21 F a few times. The one I plantd in 88 was killed by 89 freeze.

post-562-1191861522_thumb.jpg

Livistona is a great genus for central Florida. There are a few i have tried that are hard and don't like our humid climate; humilis, inemis, loriphylla, victoriae. Some othe other more tropical species will perish if we ever have an '89-type freeze again (endauensis, robinsoniana, rotundifolia). Here is what we are growing at Leu Gardens;

australis

australis x chinensis

benthamii

chinensis

chinensis var. subglobosa

concinna

decora (decipiens)

drudei

endauensis

fulva

inermis (a small, recently planted specimen)

jenkinsiana (my favorite)

lanuginosa

mariae

muelleri

nasmophylla

nitida

rigida

robinsoniana

rotundifolia (has survived 26F but defoliated)

rotundifolia var. luzonensis

saribus (green and maroon petiole forms)

speciosa

victoriae (not thriving)

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Some photos;

rotundifolia

75a5.jpg

jenkinsiana

aa6f.jpg

speciosa

c4ab.jpg

fulva

3ef6.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric in Orlando - Those are some nice Livistona growing at Leu Gardens.  What a collection!  As I mentioned earlier I never got too excited about Livistona but the more I see them and note their differences, I can appreciate them more and your pictures have helped out in that respect.  I was able to ID your L. speciosa immediately as I have one of those growing in our garden.  I tried growing L. victorae (very small seedling plant) but it struggled and did not thrive and finally it just passed away.  Your pics are very helpful for identification purposes as they are mostly still short enough so that you can look down at the crown or be at eye level to photograph them.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Seeing that this has turned out to be the best Livistona thread by a country mile, I thought I might pop in some from the past.

Here's a decora double from Woodgate, growing naturally by the way, the area was cleared around them.

post-51-1191877541_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We think this was victoriae at the Brisbane botanicals. Mike (newcal) and myself.

coot21.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 1 year later...

Took some pics of some of my Livistonas this morning. I thought I'd dig up this old thread to post them in.

This decora is on the move now as can be seen by the height aspect here, I'm about 5 feet 9 inches tall.

post-51-1234042734_thumb.jpg

post-51-1234042021_thumb.jpg

post-51-1234042706_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

My very special L.humilis is going terrific.

post-51-1234043256_thumb.jpg

post-51-1234043278_thumb.jpg

Leaf spears extravaganza, isn't this an absolute beauty ? :drool:

post-51-1234043301_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

My L.fulva is full of life and one of the most attractive Livistonas at early stages.

post-51-1234043564_thumb.jpg

post-51-1234043604_thumb.jpg

Here's my tiny slow growing meulleri, it was buried in grass and weeds the poor guy.

post-51-1234043779_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Does anyone know where L. fulva seeds or plants are available for sale? Please shoot me a message if you do.

Thanks!

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Does anyone know where L. fulva seeds or plants are available for sale? Please shoot me a message if you do.

Thanks!

How did you get on Clay ? Great palms these, did you see the Rockhampton thread on this palm ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I am growing Livistonia australis*, chinensis*,decora*,muelleri*,saribus*,benthalmi,jenkinsiana,drudei. ( * notes flowering size )

Here is a picture of my L.benthalmi after 2 nites of 29f lows. L.muelleri received a little damage on the north facing leaves.

Edited by Tampa Scott

Beautiful pics fellas, Livistonas are magnificent palms that are in my opinion way underused.

Edited by sonoranfans
  • Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 3 months later...
Beautiful pics fellas, Livistonas are magnificent palms that are in my opinion way underused.

Here is my prized Livs that are planted in the ground...

post-3576-1244092255_thumb.jpg

L. Alfredii

While on the subject: I only have 2 Livistonas, Australis and decora, and they are both close to 40' high. Both with some woody trunk survived 14F in the 89/90 freeze, but both were defoliated.  They grew a nice crown the following summer and had no trunk damage. Actually, it took a couple of years for them to look normal again.

Both have been blooming for the past several years, but none have ever produced fruit until this year. Even though this past winter was one of our coldest in several years, the L. decora is loaded with fruit for the first time. I'm wondering if it's a matter of maturity or what that they have never fruited before.

Dick

Dick,this seeds probably are hybrid seeds,because livistonas are dioecious. (All the livistonas?)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!