IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

John Dowe in FLorida

Robert Lee Riffle

John Dowe, Australian expert on Livistona, will offer three presentations at Indian River Community College (IRCC) in Fort Pierce on Saturday, August 26 and Sunday, August 27.  His appearance is sponsored by Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society, Heathcote Botanical Gardens, and the Lifelong Learning Institute of IRCC.  

A morning and an afternoon session are scheduled for Saturday.  At 10:00 a.m., Dr. Dowe will speak on all species of Livistona for about 90 minutes, with a question time afterward.  After a break for lunch, his topic at 1:30 p.m. will be the cyclone/hurricane adaptation of palms, with particular reference to Livistona.  This should conclude at around 3:00 p.m. Again, there will be time for questions.  

Dowe is to be a visiting fellow at Montgomery Botanical Center for about three weeks in August and September; he will be driving up to Fort Pierce from Miami to give these talks.  He was also at Montgomery last summer, studying the hurricane adaptation of Sabal.

On Sunday morning at 10:00, Dowe will speak on Ptychosperma macarthurii, a species on which he has just completed a monograph.

The Saturday presentations will be held in the River Room of Kight Center for Emerging Technologies on the Fort Pierce campus of IRCC.  This small auditorium has a capacity of 150 people.  The Sunday presentation will take place on the fourth floor of the Kight Center.

All three talks are open to the public, at no charge.  Anyone who wishes to attend is welcome to do so.

Dr. Dowe’s presentations will be publicized regionally and around the state.  Not only palm hobbyists are likely to attend, but also scientists and the general public  (“intelligent gardeners” who wish to know more).

John Leslie Dowe is Senior Botanist at the Australian Tropical Freshwater Centre of James Cook University in Townsville, Queensland.  He is the author of numerous palm articles. Some detail about Dowe may be found at http://www.actfr.jcu.edu.au/staff/johnd.html

For those who may want to spend overnight, Friday and/or Saturday, a list of motels and restaurants in Fort Pierce is given on the opposite page, together with directions (below).  Lunch is on your own; fast food palaces may be found on U. S. #1 or SR 70 between I-95 and the turnpike.

Since not every detail has been settled at the time of writing (May 15), attendees should check the CFPACS website for any late changes: www.cfpacs.org

Further details, when available, may be obtained from the stage manager of the event, John Kennedy, at

jkennedy@ircc.edu  or--home phone in Vero Beach--(772) 567-9587.

Directions to Indian River Community College,

Fort Pierce

Fort Pierce is at the eastern end of SR 70.

From West: take SR 70 to Fort Pierce.  Once past I-95, follow directions below.

From North and South: I-95 to Exit 129, Okeechobee Road, Fort Pierce (SR 70). There is also a turnpike exit (#152) for Fort Pierce on SR 70, about a half mile west of I-95.

From I-95: drive east on SR 70. The road forks after 1.3 miles.  Bear right, follow the SR 70 sign. This is Virginia Avenue. Exactly half a mile ahead, the first traffic light is 35th Street. Turn right on 35th Street.  The IRCC campus is on the left. The Kight Center for Emerging Technologies is the big building at the back of the campus with a slant roof .  The River Room is on the first floor.  There is a balcony if you prefer to eat your popcorn up there.

Well that would be a nice birthday present for me (the 27th) if I was able to attend. That would be neat to hear about. Thanks Riffle, and I bet I could find a Livistona australis there, as Wal just suggested that I try it here.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

• 1 month later...

RLR was really looking forward to this.  I hope those of you who can go will attend....

D.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Did anyone from this board attend?  I hope someone can provide some details.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I went Sat. but could only stay for the Livistona talk. It was informative and nice slides.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a