IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another PSSC Meeting thread

MattyB

Just keeping it fresh like Palm Juice Juice!

We started off at John Shearson's (epicure3) place in the Torrey Hills area of San Diego.  

I noticed the difference between 2 queen palms.  The robust leaflet variety and the not so robust leaflets variety.  I wish you could tell the difference when they're young.

9-22-07-001.jpg

John's Spathodea tree was in full bloom and beautiful.  I hope some of you other's with better camera got some nice shots.

9-22-07-003.jpg

Some bromeliads in flower.  End of summer is a great time for a palm tour.

9-22-07-004.jpg

Pohonkelapa making his way back to the back yard.....or is he just posing again. ???

9-22-07-005.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Most of us can't even keep Crotons alive through the winter.  John has managed to do that and make them thrive.  This is just one of the Croton areas he has that are flourishing.

9-22-07-006.jpg

Spindle.  The fattest I've seen.

9-22-07-007.jpg

The water feature was the central focal point in the backyard.  It cascaded down from the top of the hill winding under the walkway and palms were densly planted around the whole tropical rainforest area.

9-22-07-008.jpg

BS lounging w/ LJG!

9-22-07-009.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hey look, it's Steve (from SD) and his little brother Paul.

9-22-07-010.jpg

Lunch with Matt in SD (& the kids), BS, Pohonkelapa, Scott, Kim, Shon, & Steve in SD.  These are some of my favorite times at palm meetings.

9-22-07-013.jpg

And off to the Arnold's garden.  Up up and up we go up the long driveway to the house on the hill.  Kim, Scott Bill and Shon running ahead of us in anticipation.

9-22-07-014.jpg

Seriously guys, I don't have enough room in my life to two bald guys w/ black t shirts, unique facial hair and fashionable sun glasses.  You must fight to the death.

9-22-07-015.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

BS, Scott & Shon soaking up the view looking North.

9-22-07-016.jpg

Looking up at the fattest Foxtail I've ever seen.

9-22-07-017.jpg

Looking east

9-22-07-018.jpg

I think Paul had an attack of lame right before I took this shot.  Or he had an entire body cramp.

9-22-07-019.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looking south

9-22-07-020.jpg

Pritchardia

9-22-07-024.jpg

The entry way inside the house was awesome.

9-22-07-026.jpg

Some of the more xeric plantings around some boulders.

9-22-07-032.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The front of the house w/ giant boulders.

9-22-07-034.jpg

We spotted this foxylady in a house near SDSU.

9-22-07-035.jpg

OK, well that's it.  After this we went to a gig that Paul was playing, out for Sushi where we visited w/ Robert (Iwan) and Harry Palms (Peter), I got black out drunk and puked on Pauls Hyaphorbe.  The normal stuff.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

MattyB- Tis true, the days and time spent with palm pals is sweet and way too short....

I love you guys!!!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(MattyB @ Sep. 24 2007,15:41)

Seriously guys, I don't have enough room in my life to two bald guys w/ black t shirts, unique facial hair and fashionable sun glasses.  You must fight to the death.

Haha. Matt made a funny. That one was good.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Ditto BS Mans Sentiments! Awesome day with great friends and palms... best day I've had since Hawaii  :D !

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

(LJG @ Sep. 24 2007,20:22)

(MattyB @ Sep. 24 2007,15:41)

Haha. Matt made a funny. That one was good.

Yeah, I was laughing pretty hard on that one! :laugh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matt - Great pics! I had a great time and it was alot of fun to see everyone. I'm always sorry when these are over.

I've been trying to get the video onto photobucket, but it's WAY to large in size.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(MattyB @ Sep. 24 2007,18:47)

The front of the house w/ giant boulders.

9-22-07-034.jpg

We spotted this foxylady in a house near SDSU.

9-22-07-035.jpg

OK, well that's it.  After this we went to a gig that Paul was playing, out for Sushi where we visited w/ Robert (Iwan) and Harry Palms (Peter), I got black out drunk and puked on Pauls Hyaphorbe.  The normal stuff.

matt i don't HAVE a hyophorbe...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

It was great to meet the infamous MattyB. Glad to have the BladeRunner leave his blades at home.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Dear Matty  :)

thanks for the lovely tour,since the entire PRA team was their with all the shooting gear.i suppose none of the non attendees of that meet missed that much...when it come to visuals !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif