IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"best of"... bali palms

paulgila

(MattyB @ Sep. 25 2007,14:25)

Len, she said Slim Whitman, not Slim White Men.  Gaaahhh! :laugh:

Nice one Matty :D  Busted a gut here.

And thanks a lot Len, People keep looking at me funny because I can't stop whistling "Dancing Queen". Someone help me out here. No elevator music please.

Matt from Temecula, CA, 9b

Some Pics

Cycads

Temecula.gif

oh, I just realized that ABBA has been in my head for a couple of hours too.  Crap!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It's just that the palms and friends have meshed into.....oh, what is it called...uh, reality...yeah I think that's it.  What thread am I in?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

No worries, we are still on topic. Abba is totally palm related

Roger Palm

410_439.jpg

The first ABBA track Palm appeared on was Rock'n'Roll Band, recorded in August 1972

Roger Palm played on such noteworthy songs as Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, Thank You For The Music and Take A Chance On Me.

Matt from Temecula, CA, 9b

Some Pics

Cycads

Temecula.gif

abba is like potato chips,you don't want to like em cuz there not that good for you!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(m_crowther @ Sep. 25 2007,14:44)

Nice one Matty :D  Busted a gut here.

And thanks a lot Len, People keep looking at me funny because I can't stop whistling "Dancing Queen". Someone help me out here. No elevator music please.

I  will take the credit for that thank you!!!

"Super trooper...

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

OMG, I've not heard the name Slim Whitman in years  (OMG, I just totally typed S - hitman, I swear on my grandma's grave :D  :D  :D  :D  *must google him now* ) Um, isn't there a palm or something he collected?  :;):

OK, must edit, wikipedia says he was born in Tampa. That explains it.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Palms has to be a better topic than bad  music. So some more of Bali palms. These pics were captured in february 2005. Most need no intro.

jim

post-710-1190769659_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

And the head of that same palm.

It was growing in a deep ravine next to a street in Ubud.

I think it is an Arenga westerhoutii

post-710-1190769790_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

nice bottle

post-710-1190770018_thumb.jpg

and another

post-710-1190770132_thumb.jpg

Livistona muelleri at the Ritz Carlton Resort

post-710-1190770322_thumb.jpg

It's flowers

post-710-1190770451_thumb.jpg

also at the Ritz

post-710-1190770639_thumb.jpg

lots of Bismarckias at the Ritz.

We checked out that resort cause it won some comp as the best resort in 2004 due to it's landscaping and spa.

post-710-1190770876_thumb.jpg

from the same trip a few pics in Laos.

think these are Borassus flabellifer

post-710-1190771352_thumb.jpg

cool pix,jim!what part of bali is it?

the botle palms are everywhere! :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

same again

post-710-1190771481_thumb.jpg

Paul the one near the wall is at a place called Bali Gong that sells furniture, doors and wooden stuff.

The other is in from the beach a little near Sanur.

How do you like this for a pot.

Must have been delivered by air. Laos.

post-710-1190771773_thumb.jpg

I liked the look of this palm but don't know the name

post-710-1190771935_thumb.jpg

That double Arenga pinnata is pretty tough looking also. Why is it I have a soft spot for monocarpic palms?

Love the greatest hits theme... keep the hits coming.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Matt - That's funny :laugh:

Paul that licuala grandis is really cool. I don't recall ever seeing one of those before. That's what I like about this. Discovering cool palms. :)

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Dear Friends  :)

Iam glad you all know Abba & i know you love Boney M too.

those european artiest were great in their times.

And FijiJim  :)

those Borassus.F stills are terrefic ! i liked it.

And Angela  :)

Kindly use a different boroweser to avoide the hazzle of logging out each time to allow paul to login to our forum !

you both need different cookies in different borowsers ?

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Sep. 25 2007,23:55)

And Angela  :)

Kindly use a different boroweser to avoide the hazzle of logging out each time to allow paul to login to our forum !

you both need different cookies in different borowsers ?

lots of love,

Kris  :)

Kris,

I'm not sure why you are addressing me about this.  It is MY computer so maybe Paul should "kindly" use a different browser or  get a computer of his own!! :P  :P  :laugh:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Thanks Paul/Enjula for the great classic revival...I can imagine the scene of you both relaxing in the pool in Bali, after a nice palm tour and meditating with the background music of.......Abba  :P

Fiji, your photos are fantastic too...I've just realized recently how nice the adult Livistona muelleri palms look. Are they the shortest/dwarf species in the genus? I can't wait to see mine in a few years time...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

(m_crowther @ Sep. 25 2007,15:35)

Roger Palm

410_439.jpg

The first ABBA track Palm appeared on was Rock'n'Roll Band, recorded in August 1972

Roger Palm played on such noteworthy songs as Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, Thank You For The Music and Take A Chance On Me.

HA!!!

I had no idea his last name is "Palm"  Phew!!! What luck!!  I won't get in trouble after all!!  At least not in this thread..... ???

BTW thanks for all the compliments!

Nice pics Jim!

I think everyone has a picture of that Arenga pinnata that is by a bridge in Ubud, off the main road.  There is an excellent view of it from inside the sushi restaurant!!

MMMM....  palms and sake!!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(m_crowther @ Sep. 25 2007,15:35)

Roger Palm

410_439.jpg

LOL...  NOTEWORTHY?!?!?! :laugh:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia