IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

copernicia macroglossa

epicure3

Has anybody tried this palm here? It is a very interesting palm. Not sure if I would qualify it as good looking or not. Just curious.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I have a small one that would barely classify as a 1 gal. It has struggled since green house removal 9 months ago or so..

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I had nursed one along for a few years in a 5 gal, then planted it out this spring...it promptly croaked. I also lost a Cop. Fallaense (15 gal, in the ground) to the heavy rains two winters ago.

On a happy note, my Cop Baileyana is quite happy, and has pushed three leaves this year.

I think you would be even further handicapped near the coast...they love heat. The few I still have in pots that were languishing have perked up in this summers heat.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

This may actually grow here provided you can find one with some size.  DO NOT buy a seedling, at least for me, brutally slow, in 4 years, they're still tiny seedlings, good for about a leaf a year.

Here's a plant on Oahu.

post-16-1155305602_thumb.jpg

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

Some from Darwin bot gardens

post-51-1155306087_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice substitute Steve.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

For what it's worth, I purchased one that was bursting out of a liner about 2 years ago.  I immediately put it into a 5 gallon pot and put it in the warmest spot in my greenhouse.  It's put on about 4 leaves since then, and is starting to fatten up a little at the base (maybe 1cm diameter).  It's slower than the C. fallaense that I have growing right next to it, but not by too much.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(MattyB @ Aug. 11 2006,13:08)

Nice substitute Steve.

Not for the gardener challenged by lack of sq ft, for sure...but a beauty.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....