IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Visit to the crockadile bank !

Kris

Dear Friends  :)

let me take you all on a tour to the crockodile bank which is around 30/Kms from Chennai City.

And this place stocks venemous snakes from all parts of india,and turtles from all around india and crocks from around the world.

i actually visited a temple situated near-by since i had to drive the vehicle which had my younger brother & his wife.since they wanted to see temples around chennai.

this crocodile bank is just 3/Kms from this temple since i had a camera along i thought you all would enjoy seeing those lovely reptiles grown in captivity ! and this place receives repticles as gifts from around the world.and its also u.n & federal govt assisted and most of its donars are from U.S.A and are you ready for the jolly trip into this Park..

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

First of the tours i went to the snakes section in that park &

luckily cameras of all kinds are allowed in here and i loved testing my machine to the fullest possible extent.and i wish to hear some intreasting comments fro you all,perticularly about my camera.

here we go !  :)

4ccf1fb4.jpg

Above is the still of a area where snakes are grown and fed for their venom collection...as it is used to prepare antivenom serum which is sent to govermenent hospital in the villages !

4041b765.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now Lets see some of the snakes that were roaming that perticular vicinity !

And friends kindly bear with the stills res.since i forgot to take my external flash unit and had to keep the coverage going with the in built flash alone...

8e048d8c.jpg

d92ba5ca.jpg

de076c62.jpg

Dear Matty are you there ?  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now few stills on a temple complex dedicated exclusively to snake god.and these still all are dedicated to our friend Tad.

SInce he is very intreasted about our culture,traditions & coustoms..so i willfully entered this temple to get few stills for him.since that was not in my program.

I hope Tad likes the following stills & has few questions for me !

0d2f250d.jpg

d9dc3536.jpg

e758ada5.jpg

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see some forms of cobra collected from our jungles its preety large and excuse me for not displaying any tabloits or notice below these creatures.since i was not prepared for this event so was praying that my batteries want let me down..so i considered to cover those in my next visit..that's a

promise.

till then just bear with the visuals without much explaination or proper illustrations...

f17dfce5.jpg

8b18bab4.jpg

the below still is of King cobra_Albino Species..and i was told that it has renued it's skin just a day before and so it was keeping quite on that day !

44576cde.jpg

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now let us all see some of the finest crock species from around the world.most of the species were donated by their respected countries.since the entire operation is under a white-man's supervision.and he is good at his work.even our indian govermenent has bestoved lots of awards oon him.

and more details of his name and origin i will have to do it later...

So let's move on with our tour of this crockadile bank_

6a8a970a.jpg

a9412e2e.jpg

da8f2f5d.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Beautiful pictures Kris! Those stills of the Crocs in the natural light are perfect and great colors.  Those snakes are nothing to be played with Kris.  I kindly request that you be careful around those venom spitters!  Thanks for the tour.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

reptiles give me the creeps but i did enjoy the pix.thanks,kris!

the photo with the snake statues was great!

i'd love to have some stone carvings like that in my garden(as long as it didn't offend anyones religion :D ).

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Religion was made so people could be offended.  It's a great excuse to exclude people.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

kris, great pics and great coverage, now at the snake temple do they let the snakes roam free like they do at the temple of the rat?, because if they did that would sure seperate the men from the boys!!!

when it cools off, and I go to mexico I will try to get pictures of real life not in captivity morelets crocodiles, there are some that occupy a small pond near where the camp we use is located.

oh, and did they furnish any information about how many people get bitten???? handlers,etc.?

i would love to have been there, I am not scared of snakes but I do have a very healthy respect for the ones that are venomous!

I have caught quite a few rattlesnakes while hunting.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Kris - You must be awarded a special medal of courage!

Those cobras are amazing - especially the albino. He looks like he's thinking......   Hmmmmm..... :D

Thanks so much for the fantastic tour! This is something many people would never have the chance to see. And your camera did a great job. great pics! :)

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Kris, was this the Madras Crocodile Bank?  Romulus Whitaker ring a bell?

I cannot see pics from work as the IT is shh t

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Dear Matty,Paul,Tad,Scotty & Alan  :)

thanks for your sweet comments and encouragement...

And i must say the tour is just begining so stay put.and now lets go to your questions ?

Dear matty the place looks like a village but the entire operation is under strick guidelines ennumerated or stimpulated by the world governing coucnil like WWF,U.N & king institute(for serum preparation)etc...

And lets say if you get bitten by snake of any kind from india they have antivenom avaliable there and its administered by a in house doctor and there is a vet doc also to look after these animals.

but though i hate reptiles of all forms,but i am not for destroying their habitite.but i saw few N.indian tourist throw

sand & dried sticks at those crocks since they were basking in the sun quietly without moment.and they were shouting are these alive or dead and laughed.i really felt like grilling them over a heated barbaque and feed them to the crows !

Dear Paul i must request u not to bring in idols of lord ganesh or the serpent lord into your house..there is no sentiment offence of anykind if you are in india the sculptures will be willing to selling these statues to you but don't buy these..rest is all okay.

Since tradition says that lord ganesh has a huge appitite for good food so like we have our food and bath even those idols need same treatment.and women folks during there mensus periods should not touch these idols...

you will all ask why ? i had my education in jeswit christian instutions where all kinds of superstitions are not encouraged.but in day to day life i have seen bad things happen to families & relatives who posseses these 2 idols.

and now to snake idols those who posses them in their house should not consume alchalol in their house,have ilegitamitate relations with other women,than his wife.

since here in india snake is considered to be the lord of progeny.this dates back to 2000B.C,i do not know how those sages & muni were able to draw a line of similarity between the spermatozoa & a snake.

And those house possising these statues and doing bad things their first born if a male child die due to ill health..

if it is a girl child then it remains a spinister or leads a life of celebicy.and this is not bluff.i have witnessed these things in life and don't wish bad omen to fall on your lives.while any other gods idols are okay.

Dear Tad,they keep all snakes in there respected areas with glazed walls around and are fed properly.while the temple area no reptiles are allowed to move freely since it will scare the tourists visiting this place.and the beauty is that its run & maintained by a westerner with no govermenent interfearence.but stills its very nice to see that

gentleman give in to local traditions of building a temple dedicated to snake lord.this is really praise worthy deed on his part to have valued our coustoms & its traditions.since it occupies a considerable space inside that crock bank.And Tad we are all eager to see your stills of the crock from your camp area...

Dear Scotty,even i started admiring my camera for the first time.and as for courage goes...i must say there is a huge board that states that visiteors safety is garanteed and

the entire operation is done on international standards.may be that was the reason i was so close those lovely creatures... :D  :D

Dear Alan

yes,you are right about the place name and the person who established this lovely place...i will give you all the details about it in my next visit.till then please bear with me.since i cannot vaguely comment on minute details of that place.

in my next visit i will post notices,tabloids & bill boards etc..

And allan you are terrefic guy,its nice to know that you know so much of this place. :)

thanks for your time folks,

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Okay now let us see some more crocks !

5f47f48a.jpg

279ce126.jpg

watch their beak kind of mouth...And by the way i must say that the entire episode of this tour was totally shot in fully auto mode and i was just going quickely from one crock pond to another.no time for shutter adjustment at all !Now see the results and give me you judgement of my digi cam_Canon 3is.

And dear Ryan are you pleased with the results ? i really want to know how you feel.. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :D

Hold you breath...we are gona see the Big Mama or Super Jamboo of the crocks in side this park ! and its species name is Garieal from the ganges belt..i.e area from west bengal,bihar,bangladesh..

this guy is so big that it could be covered only by taking 2 or 2 & half snaps due to its length.and this is placed in a aquariem cum pond tank very huge in size and we can see this crock from the above and also go underground into a aqurieam kind of complex to see close-ups of it.

and i asked the curieator wheather it was a dead crock,he told me we do not stock dead animals or stuffed creatures in here.since it had water grass & marsh growing on its top layer of the skin.

during the time of the conversation suddenly a turtle came close to this crock"Garieal" and stamped its eye.so immedietly it closed its eye and made a sudden move.Boy we all were in the verge of a heart attack.since its a glass

tank so thought it was dengerous... :D

Now lets see those beauties..

bb7f45c5.jpg

some lovely fishes seen in that same pond..

9959a654.jpg

the naughty tortoise that i spoke about..

65bc511a.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

If you all have noticed in the above stills,on the nose of the crock there is a lump of mass.this is a male version of the garieal breed.and this lump is used to make mating calls to its beloved during the mating seasons.and i was told it could be heard to 1 mile distance on dark quite rainy season_Here.

And i must say they do not need any cell phones to contact their beloved...Mother nature has taken care of all the minute details... :D

Stills Cont...

b7282fbe.jpg

Look at this scene the tortoise come down to trample the eyes of the crock..

43b65137.jpg

Now to that scene..

371f5439.jpg

After this scene even i hurriedly left that underground area to see wheather it has come up in the pond area.but the water was glaring to get clear stills of this Super Jamboo..

And by the way look even the turtles have grown grass on its shell ?

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the filtering pond,this area is where the old water from the crock pond comes for recyclying,cleaning & all the slug and sediments are cleared and the water is charged(oxygeneted) and sent back to the crock pond.this feature is seen for all fresh water crock pond.while sea water crock are fed fresh water from the sea every 14 days are so in summers.and sea is situated about 25 feet from the last pond.

so water is no problem here.and they have fine bore wells and in summers the water is supplied in tanker lorries by the state metro water board.and i was told that its free on the government part..

Now lets see that pond with a fountain in the middle_

36a995d9.jpg

Now lets see some bamboos that i could not miss from capturing_

39ebac3e.jpg

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets move on to the crock's tour...the first 2 stills is of the American Aligator variety.this is a gift to this park from the U.S Authorities...Dear Tad is this the variety seen near your camping area that you told ?

e482c39d.jpg

6f7d2076.jpg

Here look at the green moss on its back,i was told that during rainy season and winters they have it.and migratery birds come there to clean these fungus grouth.and i did see a kingfisher cleaning the teeth & gums of a crock.and the crock was kept its big mouth open to fecilitate this work.before i could capture this lovely site the bird flew to sit on the tree top.but the mouth of these jamboos were left open for airing...

580c8e16.jpg

And by the way iam scared that i will fall in love with my camera,which i kept critising as it could not let me focus properly on Macros & Super Macros.while some of the above stills were all zoom in all long distance for a normal eye range ! And all these stills were taken effort lessly just aim & shoot.and the built in flash will kick in when need be that too automatically... ???

love conquers all..

43278.gif

krisachar · Posted on Sep. 12 2007,04:47

Now lets move on to the crock's tour...the first 2 stills is of the American Aligator variety.this is a gift to this park from the U.S Authorities...

Very nice photos kris, keep up the good work. I enjoy seeing anything reptile related and photos of that albino cobra were especially nice. The American Alligator is a very common sight here in Florida and I see quite a few whenever I go near their habitats. Anyone can travel just outside the urban areas here to see them.

Ryan

South Florida

Kris,

Very nice pictures.  Thanks for sharing.  That crocodile with the lump is one prehistoric looking creature!  I've seen caymans, our crocs and alligators but never anything like that.  

Thanks again.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Great pictures and coverage Kris! The stills look wonderful!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Dear Ryan  :)

thanks very much for the encouragement,since it means a lot to me as i know how good you are with your machine...i need not say anytjing more,since all of us in this forum know that fact !

Dear Kitty  :)

thanks and stay tuned more crock stills coming this way.... :D

Dear Dave  :)

Very happy you like it.

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now let's go and party..Ho i got that line wrong !  :D

Okay lets carry on with our tour here i did wait for this guy to close its mouth.as i thought it was yawaning.but it kept its big mouth open waiting to get it cleaned by natural scavangers like crow & kingfisher.but i did not see anything nearby ?

Live Jaws !

d1f0c425.jpg

0caa254c.jpg

34ffcfba.jpg

the guy above is also basking with its big mouth open like me !  :P

love conquers all..

43278.gif

once again to the U.S Aligator varities but its the black form...

to see them live out there brings chill to the spine...once again it was also a gift from the U.S Forest Dept.iam speachless about the American Govt's Charity Work even in Wild animals arena !  :) i really admire their good will geusture.

God Bless America..

4c411d3e.jpg

A close up of the same species_

285d8557.jpg

And did you notice a stick in its nose that was thrown by visitng N.Indian tourist there_Dear Matty i could not do anything since nowadays i have vowed not get angry that easily.but gave a stair at them.and showed the notice that states visitors misbehaving with the animals will be fined 500 to 1000 rupees.but those guys left laughing.. :angry:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see some beautiful cycas seen near the crock pond..

ae4f234b.jpg

May be this guy is waiting for its lunch ?

67bb7857.jpg

Now lets see the clumping fishtail palm near the crock pond !

01ae9222.jpg

Look at the luxury these crocks have that i don't have lovely cycas & caryota mitis...in their home.... :angry:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kim  :)

Are you there ! what do you think about my camera ? since you started a lovely thread on photography & camera.i was prompted to ask you this question.since i have shot stills here without the use of tripods or stands since the camera i used had image stabilising feature.and i was joking to my brother & his wife.since they are newly married.so you can see no shake not because iam proffessional photographer with a steady hand but its the equipment.evey feautre was aligned automatically.all i did was to view the image in the view finder and shoot and kept moving...to the next pond !

If some of you had missed her thread on photography here is the link_

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...t=ST;f=1;t=6922

And let you all folks decide as to which one should be best..

the photographer or is it the equipment that he uses do matters..?

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hey the still below reminds me of Baywatch buties taking

sun bath in beverly hills hotel or in ceasers palace las vegas_ :cool:

06d0e389.jpg

79efe5d6.jpg

03e168d0.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

nice shot of the caryota mitis,kris.thanks for throwing some palm pix in! :)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Kris,

great pictures! Thanks for sharing them. You are taking some realy good pictures with that camera.

Best regards, Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

As always Kris, wonderful pictures and narration. The camera seems to be working great for you. I have always had a facination for reptiles from an early age. I used to have a gold Tegu lizard that ate live mice. When he was cold you could handle him with no problems.........but if he laid in the sun watch out! he would draw blood.

I am glad you seem to be getting over your fear of reptiles. They deserve alot of respect. Do you have wild crocs in your area?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dear Friends thanks for your comments. :)

Dear Paul_yes that fishtail was irresitable for my eyes so i had to take it down in my camera.And also got a new idea during my visit here.since i have lots of stock of imported plants i wanted to give some as gifts.though the list of donors seen there are really big shots,but i want to do my part to beautiy that wonderful park though in a small way.next time i will be talking to the conserned authorities on that !

Dear Mike_a special thanks for you since,every time i critised my camera you were the once who kept telling me check the settings and to read the catalogue for specilised setting.

and iam very happy you are with us in our tour..

Dear David_thanks for your sweet comments and are your kids by your side during this tour,i hope they too love the

visuals..And david iam not scared of reptiles but feel itchy seeing their skin..and i don't like them around in my residence.but always iam in for their rights to their natural habititate(Nobody should not have anydoubts about that).

they are cool and i was told that the rats that destroy the paddy fields are all eaten by snakes near-by.so they are a check & balance to the natural food chain.

We do not have wild crock in S.India as for my knowledge goes,but during floods and severe rains we find crocks coming into city limits in coastal areas.but never heard of any crock attacking humans or their pets till now.(pets referance to their cattles & live stock).

thanks & stay tune to this Animal planet channel.. :D

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

This still is of the crock varities that they have in stock from the respected regions of the globe.and in front of it standing is my younger brother and his wife who got married just around 2 weeks ago.this still goes out to my 2 brother's_Gileano & Maximus.since they were courious to see the newely wed couples.And also to dear Senthil Nathan my friend who brought this lovely camera from the U.S. :)

21e912a9.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif