IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Leilani Estates working vacation

Urban Rainforest

Well we just got back from our working vacation to our new house in Leilani Estates on the big island. Typical day we were up by 5:00 or 5:30 am. and I worked outside until dark and then came inside and worked on the house until late at night. It was some of the hardest work I've done but also some of the most rewarding!I like to start my morning with a nice cup of coffee so first morning there I'm all ready to go. Coffee maker, check, coffee, check, coffee filters, check, coffee cups...ooops! Oh well... the blender with left over pina colada from last night will do nicely thank you.

post-351-1189410091_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Well what working vacation starts without a trip to Home Depot. And when you have nothing you must buy much.

post-351-1189410331_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Aloha and welcome back Steve.

If you make it over to this side, I've got a friend that grows some killer Kona coffee.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

My ranch hand Steph was all set to buy this riding mower when I reminded her that we were planting palms NOT grass  :D .

post-351-1189410555_thumb.jpg

(Dypsisdean @ Sep. 10 2007,03:45)

Aloha and welcome back Steve.

If you make it over to this side, I've got a friend that grows some killer Kona coffee.

Thanks Dean. I sure could have used it while we were there but we just got back to San Diego  :( . Next time.

(pohonkelapa @ Sep. 10 2007,03:46)

steve,you ROCK!!!!

p.s. you look much shorter in photos.

Thanks Paul. Yeah bad cameras do strange things to people  :D .

We over estimated the quality of our temporary bed in the sofa sleeper they left us. This was our bed for 5 nights until we could get a new one :o .

post-351-1189411320_thumb.jpg

I thought the soil here in Clairemont San Diego was tough but it is nothing compared to the lava. Especially the blue stone, you might as well pick another place to dig. Once in awhile you get lucky though and if you can punch through it's hollow underneath. one whole I punched through and was able to dump 5 wheelbarrow loads of dirt in the open space. Here is one hole where I conquered blue stone.

post-351-1189412096_thumb.jpg

What planting session is complete without a big pile of dirt. Heres 20 yds. of da kine.

post-351-1189412405_thumb.jpg

Ok I got the holes dug, I got the dirt, It was time to get some palms! Well I did'nt have to go far with Bo as your neighbor and he hooked me up big time!!! My single best palm shopping day ever  :D .

7- 5 gal. Clinostigma Samoense(these were 15 gal. size)

3- large 5 gal. Neoveitchia Storkii

2- 5 gal. Lemurophoenix

1- 5 gal. Dypsis Nauseosa

1- 5 gal. Dypsis Prestoniana

1- 5 gal. Dypsis Carlsmithii

1- 5 gal. Dypsis orange crush

1- 2 gal. Dypsis Faneva

1- 2 gal. Voaniola Gerardii

1- 2 gal. Welfia Regia

1- 1 gal. Calyptrocalyx Leptostachys

1- 1 gal. Pinanga Speciosa

3- 4" Anthurium Waroqueanum

and Bo gave me a 5 gal. Keriodoxa Elegans as a house warming present  :D .

Bo, thanks for getting us off to a good start on our new garden!

Steve

Here are a few pics of the stash.

post-351-1189413784_thumb.jpg

Another

post-351-1189413877_thumb.jpg

And one more. I got all 22 palms planted and I have many more pics but I have to hit the rack for now.

Hope you enjoyed,

Steve

post-351-1189414107_thumb.jpg

Speechless from jealousy.......  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Steve,

We can totally relate to your thing as we have done the same with our farm in Australia.

The trip to Bunnings (Home Depot)  to get the plastic chairs,  shovels etc etc.  We didn't have a sofa bed so the floor didn't last long as a bed.

Now after a year or so we are pretty well set up with everything, carting clothes back and forth becomes tiring so we now have a wardrobe in Oz.  The Big Island like Oz is opretty relaxed so your clothing requirements are minimal.  We now use our airline luggage to take over sprinkler parts,  seed trays,  hoses etc etc.

Here's a photo of what my ranch hand Suzi got on our last trip over last month.  

DSCN5513.jpg

Good luck,  things really fall into place after a few trips.  

Bruce Ironmonger

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

(Steve from San Diego @ Sep. 10 2007,04:40)

Bo, thanks for getting us off to a good start on our new garden!

Steve

Steve,

It's pretty easy being a drug addict when you neighbor is a dealer!!! ???

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Steve,

You're welcome, and it was great to have you and Steph over here this past week! We certainly look forward to your next visit. :cool:

Couldn't help but think of the Home Owners' Association thread in the Palapa - a few more palm enthusiasts here in Leilani Estates, and we could probably make them add one more requirement to the CC&Rs here: any new property owner here must be a palm fanatic! :D

Aloha from Clinostigma paradise!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Good Morning from Beautiful Leilani Estates,  Steve and Stephanie!

Your time here was so so short, yet you did get so much done.   Steve and Steph, you had a mission to complete and you did a great job.  I love having you as neighbors and we will indeed check on things while you are in what I still call Beautiful San Diego.  

A special note to Stephanie:  As a female to a female you are a BEAUTIFUL woman.  I said to you when you were here that you looked ROYAL and lo and behold you told me you had a chief in your background.  You are one Beautiful Elegant Lady!  Keep doing whatever it is that you are doing.  Your Beauty shows on the outside as well as  exuding from within.

Your Neighbor,

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Great work Steve, you can add me to the jealousy crowd or maybe the inspired crowd.  Have you got a single, one acre plot or multiple acreage?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Steve,

What a great list of palms your starting out with!!! Man....I remember the days when picking up a triangle(Neodypsis decaryi), Foxtail (Wodyetia bifurcata), Queen Palm ( Cocos plumosa) and others were a good start. Good luck with your new property and in your in good hands with the neighbors. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Steve...

More pics! More pics! Loved the shot of you with the pitcher of coffee! We're gonna need at least another 20 or 30 pics to truly evaluate your planting technique!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Awesome Steve,

Looks a lot like our first few trips...and hell we're still sleeping on mattresses on the floor when we go out.  On our first trip, we actually had no power for the first three day, which also meant no water (catchment and pump).  And with a 3 year old and 1 year old that got old pretty fast.

And Bo, I didn't think those Lemurs were for sale when I was out...can you save me one :D  

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Yes, those Lemurs are very nice. I've been nursing mine along for three years now, and they're the same size as those. I hope Bo got Mainland prices for those.  :D

Kona, on The Big Island

That's great Steve rub it in while the rest of us in Cali are preparing for another uncertain Winter. All kidding aside looks good keep the photos coming.

San Marcos CA

Matt,

The Lemurs weren't really at the size where I wanted them until just very recently. I'm not selling my 1G Lemurs, only the 5G ones. And the price is no secret: $50, which I think is a pretty good deal for a very unusual palm in a 5G pot. I still have a couple of dozen 5G Lemurs left, so no matter when you get back here, I'm sure I'll have some! :)

Bo-Göran

PS. And Voanioalas in 5G pots, same price: $50. Even though the Lemurs are somewhat larger plants.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Karolyn!!!!  I could hear your voice when I read your post!  :D  

Fun Fun Fun!  Hope all you guys have a blast over there in Leilani Estates!  To all Hawaiians: Is it OK if I come sleep over and party it up bouncing from house to house in a drunken palm binge until I overstay my welcome at each and every one of your places?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sure Matty,

As long as you start here and finish up on the other side of the island.

Kona, on The Big Island

(MattyB @ Sep. 10 2007,19:03)

Hi Karolyn!!!!  I could hear your voice when I read your post!  :D  

Fun Fun Fun!  Hope all you guys have a blast over there in Leilani Estates!  To all Hawaiians: Is it OK if I come sleep over and party it up bouncing from house to house in a drunken palm binge until I overstay my welcome at each and every one of your places?

Can I do the same if I skip the "drunken" part? :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

Instead of a beer in hand, just show up with a shovel and a digging bar, and you're good.

Kona, on The Big Island

(Dypsisdean @ Sep. 10 2007,22:36)

Sure Matty,

As long as you start here and finish up on the other side of the island.

LOL, Thats just great Dean, get em all liquered up and send em our way... uh sign me up  :D .

Actually, we have plenty of tools. JUST SHOW UP!! :D  (Well, let me know a day in advance!!). There are holes to be dug, palms to be planted, forest trails to be built, and last but not least, weeds to be pulled!!

To everyone, thanks for all your kind comments and a special thank you to Bo and Karolyn for their warmth and generosity and for answering all our questions, and for selling us some very choice palms! They also took us to an awesome resturaunt in Hilo called the Pesto Cafe.

Thanks again,

Steve

(bgl @ Sep. 10 2007,20:08)

Actually, we have plenty of tools. JUST SHOW UP!! :D  (Well, let me know a day in advance!!). There are holes to be dug, palms to be planted, forest trails to be built, and last but not least, weeds to be pulled!!

The digging and planting is fine.....

But, have you SEEN my place?

Weeds? What are they?  Are those those things that cover up my palms? ???  I haven't figured out what to do with them....

Well back to the palms. This is the first palm I planted probably because it was right next to my pile of dirt. Neoveitchia Storkii.

post-351-1189480625_thumb.jpg

Clinostigma Samoense

post-351-1189480834_thumb.jpg

Voanioala

post-351-1189480956_thumb.jpg