Hawai'i Bob

Greetings

Hawai'i Bob

While not new to IPS, this is my first post of many to come.  I'm Bob Carrere, two years ago my husband and I assumed stewardship of the

gem of a palm garden envisioned, designed, and created by Bo-Goran Lundkvist.  We have  restored the gardens, and the trees are once again

thriving, fruiting like crazy as they have not done in 10 years.  Bo and I have been study the various regions assessing which creatures survived

the eruption and which have not.  Also working on identifying these large beasts now that they are not the 1 gallon to 15 gallon keikis they once

were and when Bo last saw them.  Questions have come up about some palms and I will post pics soon to get your help in identifying them.  

Help us solve the puzzle.   Here's one.  An American palm (Central or South) that puzzles us.  Any ideas?  Mahalo nui loa. 

IMG_4329A.jpg

IMG_4330A.jpg

• Like 7

realarch

Hi Bob! Welcome to PT. 

Hmmmm….Phytelephas maybe? P. aequatorialis?

Tim

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Welcome to Palm Talk and I am so glad you are resurrecting this garden!

I look forward to many more posts, but sadly I am of no help with your identification question.

• Like 1

Palm Tree Jim

Welcome to Palmtalk Bob.

• Like 1

Donald Sanders

I think it is wonderful that you are now enjoying a fantastic garden that I have watched grow from the very beginning.   Your garden is one of my most favorite gardens any where.   I am now certain that your garden will continue to become even more beautiful with you and your husbands loving care.    I am so happy for you both.    I look forward to meeting you both.   If you find yourself on the Kona side, perhaps on the way to COSTCO,  please call me and come an visit my humble garden.    Aloha   Don

• Like 2

Kim

Bob! Nice to see you here. :) Such a beautiful palm deserves to be identified! I'll wander through my Brazilian Flora book by Harry Lorenzi, maybe we'll get lucky? (Be forewarned, I'm not so good with IDs.) More photos! More photos! 

• Upvote 1

Hawai'i Bob
On 8/4/2022 at 1:26 PM, realarch said:

Hi Bob! Welcome to PT. 

Hmmmm….Phytelephas maybe? P. aequatorialis?

Tim

Aloha Tim,

I think you may have nailed it.  That palm is indexed in Bo's database for that growing area, but I've been flummoxed because of other characters growing that I had allowed myself to think were the P. aequatorialis.  I'll await any further posts before settling on P. a. 

bgl

Bob,

A warm welcome to PalmTalk, and hopefully with many more posts to follow! And as you know, I am thrilled to see what a great job you and Andy are doing with the garden! :)

Looking forward to our next palm exploration adventure! :)

Bo-Göran

Hilo Jason

Welcome to Palm Talk Bob!  I look forward to seeing the garden in person at the HIPS social in a couple of weeks.  Bo's website dedicated to the garden was a huge influence on me getting into palms, and now here I am living on the Big Island.  It will be like a dream come true to finally see it in person!  

Sorry I can't help with the ID, but I would have said, ask Tim since he's the expert on American palms.  Happy to see he already chimed in.  Well done Tim.

• Upvote 1

realarch

I haven’t been to the garden for a few years now, but the garden restoration is nothing but good news. We’ll be off island for a few weeks and will miss the upcoming event. 

Jason, ‘ expert ‘ is stretching it a bit, now Dypsis is another realm that I defer to you and others.

Tim