• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PNW to San Fran Road Trip: Recommendations?

Phyllostachys

Hi folks! I'm currently on a West coast road trip and would love to hear from the community and get suggestions for interesting gardens, nurseries, and notable specimens that I could visit and photograph on my way between Vancouver (Canada) and San Francisco. If you have a garden that you're willing to show, I'd love to meet and see your plants!

I've just passed Portland and am planning to be in San Francisco for the weekend. I'm planning a follow-up trip to SoCal in the winter, so please share your thoughts even if you see this after I've passed through! 

I'm interested to hear all your recommendations, with special emphasis on palms (of course!), bamboos, uncommon edibles to taste, as well as all sorts of unusual, botanically interesting, and zone pushing plants!

I'll be taking photos of the fun plants among my trip and will share them once I'm back home. If you know the locations of the most northern surviving specimen of specific plant species, please let me know and I'll provide an updated photo if I pass through the area!

Thank you so much for your time!

Sam

Edited by Phyllostachys
Clarity & Brevity
  • Like 1

Hi Sam,

This sounds like a great experience, and I hope you are enjoying your time on your journey.

I live in Oakland, CA and I would love showing you my young garden. I enjoy zone pushing and love palms and fruit producers as well. PM if your interested and there is a really great palm garden called the Palmetum near my house you can check out as well. 

Take care.

Jadd

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Phyllostachys if you get far enough south, shoot a PM and maybe swing by.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you @Darold Petty@Jadd Correia and @DoomsDave!

Unfortunately I had car troubles, which took some precious time out of my plans. I won't be going further south than Santa Rosa (making it there just in time for a friend's wedding). I'll reach out to the three of you when I'm planning my winter trip to your area! 

I had heard about a "most northerly" large specimen of CIDP growing in Southern Oregon (near Brookings / Gold Beach) but didn't manage to spot it on my drive south.

I'll be driving inland on my way North; I'll stop at Bamboo Garden Nursery if I pass through the Portland area during the day, but I don't have anything on my radar inland prior to Portland. Do you know of anything interesting along the I-5 corridor between Santa Rosa and Portland? 

Thank you again!

Sam

• Like 2

Sam I'm down by Los Angeles, so I'm waaaay far south. But I've got about 25 trunking Chambeyroneas in the ground . . . 

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Given that your username is Phyllostachys you probably already are aware but if you have time to shop bamboo then check out Jesus Mora & also Bamboo Sourcery in Santa Rosa!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phyllostachys said:

I had heard about a "most northerly" large specimen of CIDP growing in Southern Oregon (near Brookings /

There are many mature CIDP in that section of the coast I’m surprised you didn’t see any of them.   The ones in Gold Beach are easy to find as it’s such a small town and are visible on the east side of 101.  The furthest north one on the coast that I would consider medium but has a few feet of trunk is in North Bend. 

• Like 2

@Chester B I was looking on the West side while driving in Good Beach :blink2:. The first CIDP I saw was just over the border in CA! Do you know what part of town the CIDP is in North Bend? I'll put it on my list for the next trip.

@Brad52 the Bamboo Sourcery was on my list! Unfortunately I didn't get enough time in Santa Rosa to check them out. I'll try making up for it by going to Bamboo Garden Nursery in Portland - last time I went was 9 years ago!

• Like 1

804 Newmark street across from Boynton Park. 

Video from last year, I didn’t have time to see it last week when I was there. 

https://youtu.be/dNXwDKD_qps

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Look on 10th street in Gold Beach. Big CIDP there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1