IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transparent spotting on indoor palms

Will

Hi,

I have some palm seedlings (Archontophoenix, Caryota and Ptychosperma) which I keep indoors, but they seem to not really get lush green leaves. 

They Kind of turn transparent after time and don't Look 100% healthy. There are no spidermites on then I think. Is it a lack of nutritions?

20220729_182656.jpg

20220729_182717.jpg

20220729_182732.jpg

On 7/29/2022 at 5:30 PM, Will said:

Hi,

I have some palm seedlings (Archontophoenix, Caryota and Ptychosperma) which I keep indoors, but they seem to not really get lush green leaves. 

They Kind of turn transparent after time and don't Look 100% healthy. There are no spidermites on then I think. Is it a lack of nutritions?

20220729_182656.jpg

Are you sure about the spider mites? The rightmost leaf in the first photo looks very spider-mitey to me. I've found that they are multiplying like mad owing to the hot weather of late, and the damage they cause is exactly what you're describing. You really need to look for them in the middle of the night with a torch and magnifying glass; you'll only get extensive webbing and see them during the day when the infestation is really bad.

I could be wrong and it might be something else, but your seedlings are very small, so their nutritional needs will be very modest. I think spider mites are by far the most likely cause.

• Like 1

It had spidermites a while ago. The old leaves spotting is from that, but I was wondering why the new one also get them. I am gonna check in the night as you said, maybe they are in the beginning of a spidermites infestation again.

Could it be some bugs or any mites in the soil? If yes how can I prevent it of getting worse?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will said:

It had spidermites a while ago. The old leaves spotting is from that, but I was wondering why the new one also get them. I am gonna check in the night as you said, maybe they are in the beginning of a spidermites infestation again.

Could it be some bugs or any mites in the soil? If yes how can I prevent it of getting worse?

Spider mites will always get in; I don't know how, but they do. You need to constantly proactively guard against them with indoor plants. I didn't do this during the last winter as there didn't seem to be any, but now I'm paying the price, as they're everywhere; I did the previous year and everything was fine. To keep them controlled I suggest using Amblyseius/Neoseiulus spp. predatory mites. They come in sachets of bran and are reasonably cheap. If that doesn't work, use Phytoseiulus persimilis, which are bigger and more voracious but also more expensive and need warm temperatures. I'm probably going to have to buy some of these, as I think my poor old Amblyseius are in a battle of Thermopylae situation.

Putting plants out in the (summer) rain, or putting them under the shower will also help dislodge mites, as a temporary measure.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Griffin said:

need help with my palm

tree 1.jpg

tree 2.jpg

tree 3.jpg

Do you know what kind of palm it is? I want to think that its either a windmill or med fan. Looks like it could use fertilizer, more/less water, or more sun. It might be one of those things or a combination. I do not have any experience with those so i cant say for sure.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 minutes ago, JLM said:

Do you know what kind of palm it is? I want to think that its either a windmill or med fan. Looks like it could use fertilizer, more/less water, or more sun. It might be one of those things or a combination. I do not have any experience with those so i cant say for sure.

it is a windmill. it was in full sun sitting out side so i recently brought it in. What kind of fertilizer should i use?

9 hours ago, Matthew Griffin said:

it is a windmill. it was in full sun sitting out side so i recently brought it in. What kind of fertilizer should i use?

It looks dried out. Probably the heat with a lack lack watering. Would keep it moist but not wet. Center spear look fine so it should make it

thank you Will. 

On 8/5/2022 at 5:29 PM, Will said:

It looks dried out. Probably the heat with a lack lack watering. Would keep it moist but not wet. Center spear look fine so it should make it

Thank you Will for the advice. I will do just that. What fertilizer do i use?