IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potassium deficiency?

Plantking165

I've been noticing some necrotic spotting that spreads quickly and drying of the whole leaflets down to the petiole follows quickly. Is this a deficiency or something else along with severe yellowing and an orange tinge to some fronds on the younger coconuts the yellowing is getting worse quickly spreading down the leaf. I have fertilized 2 times in the 2 months I've had them. It's just happening really quick and it's a bit concerning as it's dying off quicker than it's growing by a long shot.

20220728_144017.jpg

20220728_144341.jpg

20220728_144403.jpg

20220728_144244.jpg

20220728_144257.jpg

20220728_144302.jpg

To me it looks like sunburn. I can't grow coconuts here but that's the kind of damage I see.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

To me it looks like sunburn. I can't grow coconuts here but that's the kind of damage I see.

Sunburn I have seen some of that but this just seems off-putting especially with the necrotic spotting and lots of yellowing almost makes me think lethal yellowing highly unlikely but not impossible.

1 minute ago, SeanK said:

I agree with Chris. Did you hatch that egg yourself or did you buy it live?

I bought all 3 of my coconut palms live only had them 2 months and the Panama tall Less than a week not pictured tho.

Looks like mostly sunburn but you could also have a slight potassium deficiency. If you are fertilizing, it will correct but it doesn’t happen overnight. The sunburn will not correct itself and will require new fronds to be produced. It should be fine eventually.

Just now, Johnny Palmseed said:

Looks like mostly sunburn but you could also have a slight potassium deficiency. If you are fertilizing, it will correct but it doesn’t happen overnight. The sunburn will not correct itself and will require new fronds to be produced. It should be fine eventually.

Just happening quickly they did better the first month than they have in tbe second month. It should be the other way around the sunburn didn't show up until a month after having them its just off-putting with all the things going on with them being as they are getting more established every week and it keeps getting worse.

5 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

Just happening quickly they did better the first month than they have in tbe second month. It should be the other way around the sunburn didn't show up until a month after having them its just off-putting with all the things going on with them being as they are getting more established every week and it keeps getting worse.

Yes but the effect is cumulative until it adjusts and throws out new growth. The burnt leaf does not repair itself.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Yes but the effect is cumulative until it adjusts and throws out new growth. The burnt leaf does not repair itself.

Even the new spear on the red spicata is burning up and the fiji it has opened one right when I got it still not fully grown but its got brown and yellow on it and it finally after 2 months this spear was 4 to 5 inches long when I got it ajd its just now splitting open last week hasn't done much this week but took 2 months to get mid hight of the tallest leaf and open up such a long time... the fiji seems to open spears at a short hight unlike other coconut varieties they open spears at the hight of the tallest leaf usually.

20220728_163509.jpg

20220728_163513.jpg