• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia Catarinensis

GregVirginia7

Mine has more of a greenish hue to it, but it's still on the smaller size, not yet trunking and growing in a 7 gallon.  It was a recent addition from another member here last year that lives in South Florida.  Not very common in cultivation here in the US.

I'm assuming you looked on Google and at PalmPedia?

https://palmpedia.net/wiki/Butia_catarinensis

I'll post a picture of mine later.

Mine has ben in the ground six years and it’s green. This spring the center came out was very surprised. Never had a problem with cold before. Sadly still waiting for new growth. 

Here's mine, it's the one in the pot.  In comparison is my Blue Butia back left and probable Butia hybrid in the right 

PXL_20220727_224727820.thumb.jpg.0f20a3773a3e98c654e5925419d36dc1.jpg

PXL_20220728_212838609.thumb.jpg.04fa71cc09f099df07bc79cebde8b1b7.jpg

37 minutes ago, Scott W said:

probable Butia hybrid in the right 

Wow that palm is a knock out , what hybrid are you guessing it Is ?

T J 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow that palm is a knock out , what hybrid are you guessing it Is ?

T J 

I purchased it from the lady in this thread as a three gallon.  I've tried to get in touch with her over the last year but nothing.  She was in the Tallahassee area and with my daughter now going to FSU I hope to get in touch with her as I'll be in the area on occasion.  The original is possibly a Merrill Wilcox hybrid with these being selfings or hybrids with another Butia.

Here are a couple threads regarding it...

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47899-bujubaea-the-way-to-pack-a-palm/

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/29611-monster-butia-x-hybrid-id/

On 7/27/2022 at 3:57 AM, Scott W said:

Not very common in cultivation here in the US.

IIRC, someone on here said that catarinensis was either common in the SE, or catarinensis DNA was found in many butia in the SE.  It may have been @Chester B?  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

IIRC, someone on here said that catarinensis was either common in the SE, or catarinensis DNA was found in many butia in the SE.  It may have been @Chester B?  

I may have mentioned it in the past, but not originally from me.  I think some of the Floridians and North Texas Cold Hardy Palms claimed this to be the case.  I've seen the skinny, small Butias in Florida, nothing like I was accustomed to seeing.

When I visited Orlando (and other places in Central Fl) last year, I also noticed a difference between Butia grown up here, and the ones down here.  I believe that is what prompted me to ask, here on the forum.  The Butia up here, which are generally considered odorata unless known to be eriospatha, are more up, and out, and reaching, than the ones grown in SE USA.  It's like the ones grown up here all appear to be etiolated versions, stretched out, reaching.  The ones I saw in Orlando/Central Florida were all much more compact and dense.  That was the only observation I could come up with.  

If Butia in the SE do have some catarinensis influence, I believe that would explain the more dense, tighter form.  If that's not the case, my next best guess would be that the humid summers there cause them to be compact, whereas the dryness here allows them to stretch out.  That's probably not science, just a guess. 

10 hours ago, Scott W said:

Here are a couple threads regarding it...

Thanks Scott 

That was good reading and surprised I hadn't found these on my own. Whatever your palm ends up being hoping it's self fertile and you can pass this lineage on or hopefully it can be pollinated by syagrus haha 

T J 

T J 

On 7/29/2022 at 6:36 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Thanks Scott 

That was good reading and surprised I hadn't found these on my own. Whatever your palm ends up being hoping it's self fertile and you can pass this lineage on or hopefully it can be pollinated by syagrus haha 

T J 

Thanks again, and that's exactly what I'm hoping for!!!

@Jesse PNW @Chester B I too have see skinnier trunked and shorter height Butia around town here in Jacksonville (as well as elsewhere in Florida) and have often wondered whether these are true Odorata, another variety or hybrid.

I'll have to make a drive and take some pictures and measurements for comparison.  

• Like 2