IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any ideas

I am starting on my back yard have these 2 beds that I would like to make as tropical looking as possible in Phoenix beds are 80’ long and very from 5-10’ wide . I’m thinking about beccariophoenix, Bismarckia, of course lots of royals, phoenix rupicola, and any suggestions someone else may have. Then mixed in cannas, hybiscus, plumeria, callas. Thank you for any suggestions you might have!!!

55BB3679-6116-47C8-B7E6-BD9DBB89F1BE.jpeg

• Like 3

I wonder if you can grow any Pseudophoenix species there? They would be interesting in the mix. But I like the names you've posted, definitely a good start.Good that you are making the beds deep. Be sure to post your progress here!

• Like 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Try and plant some overhead dappled shade tree canopies. This will help hold moisture and prevent harsh sun/heat damage for your tropicals. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cycads make a great companion plant for palms... Most will take the same amount of sun as your tropicals without burning,and some,like Dioon edule,are absolutely bullet proof in our desert - even in full,blazing,all day sun.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

If I could be there I'd do Copernicias and jubaeas and coccothrinaxes .

• Like 4

Probably need some cover trees to start out with unless you can buy them big.

• Like 1

Maybe ravenea xerophila. Haha just kidding.  Maybe copernicia hybrids. Burretiana.

Maxburretianas. Everything I can think of is slow, especially in the desert.

• 2 months later...

Update!! I’ve started planting 2 bizzies 4 alfies 5 royals 6 mules 1 pindo 1 reclinada 7 hybiscus 1 boganvilla 1 ixora 1 plumeria 1 macroglossa

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Update!! I’ve started planting 2 bizzies 4 alfies 5 royals 

The crowns on those alone will take up a pretty good space! What size(s) did you plant them at? Would love to see a photo. Happy gardening!

• Upvote 1

Definitely something to be said about planting small and letting the palm grow into it's location but also nothing wrong with a nicely grown 15g palm if you ask me! 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:15 PM, Fishinsteeg234 said:

Try and plant some overhead dappled shade tree canopies. This will help hold moisture and prevent harsh sun/heat damage for your tropicals. 

I totally agree.  A few big trees, perhaps on the sides, would really help.  I would probably go for something fast growing -- like a ficus -- but I don't really know their hardiness.

• Like 1

If you want to dig the hole I’m all for it in my yard you dig with a pick!! I have ordered some delonix seed and was thinking about some jacaranda 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 96720 said:

If you want to dig the hole I’m all for it in my yard you dig with a pick!! I have ordered some delonix seed and was thinking about some jacaranda 

Jacaranda could work, but will need more water to look good, esp. compared to Delonix ..any of the species. 

If it were easier to find, Albizia sinaloensis  do well here.. Gets BIG too.  If you ever make your way to the public library in Scottsdale, you'll see what i mean. Park in the parking garage on the southwest side of the building and you can't miss their specimens. No issues w/ the cold here ( UofA in Tucson has a massive specimen that has survived what cold they see ) Planted one i'd  started from seed here at the house.

Biggest of the Scottsdale A. sinaloensis specimens:

View from the top of the parking garage.
IMG_0558.thumb.JPG.96d4bc0f48ab5e8aa0031bb88f4616cf.JPG

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.c4c39878163372924f778b08e7175616.JPG

IMG_0553.thumb.JPG.6c05b063be4b01f54159b6efcf6d912b.JPG

:greenthumb:  Monsters..

Tipuana and Peltophorum ( P. dubium is the hardiest sp. ) will take our heat and are fast growing / canopy creating trees as well.  Could collect seed for Tipuana anywhere here, obtain Peltophorum seed online.

Enterolobium is another massive, canopy- former that grows fast.  UofA has a couple that shrug off the cold there, so specimens here should have no issues. If this yard were big enough, i'd plant a couple.

All can be raised to 5gal in a year or two before planting out,  though you may have to protect them from the sun until they put on enough wood / canopy to shade themself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Jacaranda could work, but will need more water to look good, esp. compared to Delonix ..any of the species. 

If it were easier to find, Albizia sinaloensis  do well here.. Gets BIG too.  If you ever make your way to the public library in Scottsdale, you'll see what i mean. Park in the parking garage on the southwest side of the building and you can't miss their specimens. No issues w/ the cold here ( UofA in Tucson has a massive specimen that has survived what cold they see ) Planted one i'd  started from seed here at the house.

Biggest of the Scottsdale A. sinaloensis specimens:

View from the top of the parking garage.
IMG_0558.thumb.JPG.96d4bc0f48ab5e8aa0031bb88f4616cf.JPG

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.c4c39878163372924f778b08e7175616.JPG

IMG_0553.thumb.JPG.6c05b063be4b01f54159b6efcf6d912b.JPG

:greenthumb:  Monsters..

Tipuana and Peltophorum ( P. dubium is the hardiest sp. ) will take our heat and are fast growing / canopy creating trees as well.  Could collect seed for Tipuana anywhere here, obtain Peltophorum seed online.

Enterolobium is another massive, canopy- former that grows fast.  UofA has a couple that shrug off the cold there, so specimens here should have no issues. If this yard were big enough, i'd plant a couple.

All can be raised to 5gal in a year or two before planting out,  though you may have to protect them from the sun until they put on enough wood / canopy to shade themself.

One more to consider:  Desert Museum Palo Verde:  Cercidium x 'Desert Museum'

Nursery quote: "This gorgeous, thornless hybrid makes a fine, upright shade tree. Large yellow blossoms give a dazzling display of color in the spring, lasting longer than any other in the species. May re-bloom in summer if given supplemental water. After the foliage falls, the trunk and stems remain green, providing year-round interest. Produces very few seedpods."12 Exceptional Cercidium Desert Museum Palo Verde Gallery | Palo verde ...

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 8:55 AM, 96720 said:

I am starting on my back yard have these 2 beds that I would like to make as tropical looking as possible in Phoenix beds are 80’ long and very from 5-10’ wide . I’m thinking about beccariophoenix, Bismarckia, of course lots of royals, phoenix rupicola, and any suggestions someone else may have. Then mixed in cannas, hybiscus, plumeria, callas. Thank you for any suggestions you might have!!!

55BB3679-6116-47C8-B7E6-BD9DBB89F1BE.jpeg

Zantedeschia aethiopica 'African Gold' is a great calla lily cultivar that a few of us grow. It tolerates heat if given shade.  Picture below from a catalog...

Image of Zantedeschia aethiopica 'African Gold'|Juniper Level Botanic Gdn, NC|JLBG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not a desert tree guy although I do have 4 ironwood trees I removed all other trees when I bought this place! I’m also not big on yellow or red flowers although I  do have a spathodea and am planning on a delonix!!

• Like 1

I am planning on calla lilies they do great here in full sun! The one you show looks very interesting I will have to check it out! Where are you located?

9 minutes ago, 96720 said:

I am not a desert tree guy although I do have 4 ironwood trees I removed all other trees when I bought this place! I’m also not big on yellow or red flowers although I  do have a spathodea and am planning on a delonix!!

Another suggestion is Cordia boissieri , the white-flowered "Texas olive", although I'm not sure the growth rate is fast enough.  It does well for me here in Sacramento suburbs. Picture below is from an online source, not mine!

cordia boissieri tree.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 96720 said:

I am planning on calla lilies they do great here in full sun! The one you show looks very interesting I will have to check it out! Where are you located?

I live in the suburbs of Sacramento, Calif. If you can grow this variety in full sun, you've got a great location!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

One more to consider:  Desert Museum Palo Verde:  Cercidium x 'Desert Museum'

Nursery quote: "This gorgeous, thornless hybrid makes a fine, upright shade tree. Large yellow blossoms give a dazzling display of color in the spring, lasting longer than any other in the species. May re-bloom in summer if given supplemental water. After the foliage falls, the trunk and stems remain green, providing year-round interest. Produces very few seedpods."12 Exceptional Cercidium Desert Museum Palo Verde Gallery | Palo verde ...

Only issue w/ Palo Verde, esp the hybrids  is branches, or the entire tree tend to fail -fairly easily in storms ...or even minor wind events in the spring.. Have watched about a quarter of the ones planted across from us get knocked down / removed since we moved here.

Great tree for spring flower displays, but wouldn't plant any myself, ...except maybe  Ft. Hills Palo Verde since they tend to stay short/ are less prone to wind damage.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Only issue w/ Palo Verde, esp the hybrids  is branches, or the entire tree tend to fail -fairly easily in storms ...or even minor wind events in the spring.. Have watched about a quarter of the ones planted across from us get knocked down / removed since we moved here.

Great tree for spring flower displays, but wouldn't plant any myself, ...except maybe  Ft. Hills Palo Verde since they tend to stay short/ are less prone to wind damage.

Good to know. I have a small one in a pot. I may reconsider planting it out as a shade tree. My Peltphorum and Cassia are already performing well, just not in the right locations!

• Upvote 1

Is it warm enough for Eucalyptus deglupta in phoenix if so I would have a 1 or two of those to make a rainforest area and maybe add a pond, even if it's small for some extra warmth and humidity. Then you could  plant lots of chamedorea species and a couple archontophoenix alexandrae, monstera deliciosa, new caledonia Impatiens, birds of paradise and one of the arenga species. Some other plants that might be nice are foxtails, the flame wheel tree and Corymbia ficifolia.

34 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Maybe the Calla lilies are a  slightly different variety there some of mine completely melted the day it was over 40c here the spot they were in probably saw around 42 because of dark colored stones.

I would love a rainbow eucalyptus they are had to come by! Also I do have a lot of texas olives and have 2 ponds with streams in the front yard water bills are already more than $2000/ month in summer I don’t think any more ponds!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

I suggest Pseudobombax Ellipticum

Have to be started in shifting shade/ shade after 11am in the summer here or they burn to a crisp..  Trunk included.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

Is it warm enough for Eucalyptus deglupta in phoenix if so I would have a 1 or two of those to make a rainforest area and maybe add a pond, even if it's small for some extra warmth and humidity. Then you could  plant lots of chamedorea species and a couple archontophoenix alexandrae, monstera deliciosa, new caledonia Impatiens, birds of paradise and one of the arenga species. Some other plants that might be nice are foxtails, the flame wheel tree and Corymbia ficifolia.

Rainbow Eucs can grow here, but have a wind throw issues.. Not the best canopy tree option w/ our Monsoons.  Won't create near enough shade to offset the heat for heat sensitive things.

Too hot to grow any of the Bold -highlighted plants here, even in shade.

Just now, 96720 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions some I have never heard of very interesting@Silas_Sanconawill that pseudobombax grow here after it gets bigger or is it always sun sensitive??

Sun sensitive, best allowed to grow up into sun through something else.. I tried planting one at the old house but it cooked -in full sun.  It's twin sits in a spot ( in a pot ) where the top only gets full sun for maybe an hour in summer. Foliage still burns though..

Unless the owner sold it / ..or Summer of 2020 killed it,  there's one planted at a cactus nursery here in Chandler.  Been years since i've seen it though.

Forgot to add before, ..regarding Ficus,  F. palmeri,  and palmeri var. petiolaris ( ...or F. petiolaris var. palmeri ) do great here.. No issues w/ the heat ( From Sonora and Baja ) and can ..if allowed to.. get huge. Is a nice one in Civic Center park in Scottsdale. Another at DBG.

A few others from nearby Sonora that would do fine here too, and have big leaves / get massive in time,  but you'd have to head to Tucson to access plants. Smaller ones only though.

• Like 2