IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia- 2 years of growth

BeyondTheGarden

The title is technically correct, these were planted in 2020, but they were rootbound and they were dormant for all of 2020.  They only grew 1" total during 2020.  Really all of this growth has occured within the last 13 months.  They started pushing new growth in June of 2021.  

Specimen A:

2020:37" tall, 10" trunk 

2022: 56" tall, 12" Trunk

ButiaEast2020.jpg

ButiaEast2022.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Specimen B: 

2020:  32" Tall, 11" Trunk. 

2022:  64" Tall, 16" Trunk.

ButiaWest2020.jpg

ButiaWest2022a.jpg

ButiaWest2022b.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Looking good. Last year was almost like 2 years growth in 1 since the heat started early April and lasted into October. I think my big Butia threw like 8 fronds and had a bumper seed crop. 

Here’s my eriospatha for comparison. Unfortunately I don’t have any initial measurements but I was able to take this home in the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I don’t remember having to lay it down. 

Second photo August 19, 2019 and the first one is today July 4, 2022. 18” trunk, 54” high and 90” wide. Mine grows in all day sun, no shade so I think it causes it to be a little more compact with fronds laying more horizontal than yours. 

4DA6F83A-5E0A-417F-9166-BDB5FF8B9AD0.jpeg

2431FA87-3249-470B-B1D7-E8B06D2FFF6A.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 6

Butias really get moving fast . It almost seems like overnight they jump into a new gear . 

Nice growth there .

Will

• Like 2

Very nice Ryan.  Is that one of the areas that used to be shady and now gets more sun?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

Very nice Ryan.  Is that one of the areas that used to be shady and now gets more sun?

This area used to get sun for the morning and into  mid afternoon as there were trees that protected it from the late afternoon and evening sun. The before photo was taken later in the day. Now that those trees are gone it never gets any shade. Soil is very sandy in this area so drys out pretty quick. I try to water this one to speed up its growth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Officially as tall as me today.  67".  ( yes I'm short)

I really need to prune that hibiscus. Cant believe how long these fronds get. 20220713_132248.thumb.jpg.f34d52ffd8fedab88cd5ac2bd7a5cc96.jpg20220713_132240.thumb.jpg.62ca812a88a36c8c37377d7135af5885.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone else find they take a fair amount of time to get established and get going? I planted one at my folks this spring and it’s only put out one new spear . About 3g size maybe a small 5. 

16 hours ago, RJ said:

Does anyone else find they take a fair amount of time to get established and get going? I planted one at my folks this spring and it’s only put out one new spear . About 3g size maybe a small 5. 

I haven’t experienced that. The three I have seemed to chug along from the start. But I do see big differences in growth rate. Odorata appears to be much quicker than eriospatha  

On 7/4/2022 at 9:20 AM, Chester B said:

Looking good. Last year was almost like 2 years growth in 1 since the heat started early April and lasted into October. I think my big Butia threw like 8 fronds and had a bumper seed crop. 

Here’s my eriospatha for comparison. Unfortunately I don’t have any initial measurements but I was able to take this home in the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I don’t remember having to lay it down. 

Second photo August 19, 2019 and the first one is today July 4, 2022. 18” trunk, 54” high and 90” wide. Mine grows in all day sun, no shade so I think it causes it to be a little more compact with fronds laying more horizontal than yours. 

4DA6F83A-5E0A-417F-9166-BDB5FF8B9AD0.jpeg

2431FA87-3249-470B-B1D7-E8B06D2FFF6A.jpeg

does your eriospatha have armed petioles? mine does not yet but odorata same size does... 

• Like 1

why are there not 10-15trunkers they look great?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

3 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

does your eriospatha have armed petioles? mine does not yet but odorata same size does...

Doesn't really have the armed petioles like the odorata yet.  There is some armament, but it's not major.

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

why are there not 10-15trunkers they look great?

I'm not sure why?  There seems to be a major black hole of knowledge with palms in this part of the country if they are not Trachycarpus.  I only know of a couple Butias that have a proper trunk.  My largest is getting there though.  Most gardeners here still seem to be focused on Japanese maples and rhododendrons, but there is a growing movement towards plants that do better in heat and drought.  The climate here has been changing pretty rapidly so slowly people are catching on.

I just measured - 4' of trunk with a diameter of approximately 32".  Overall height 12' and  width from the house to the walkway is 13'.  I need a person in for scale it's larger than it looks.  Those windows are the landing of my stairs going up.

EB408F4D-C7B2-4903-B252-A33469030435.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

I haven’t experienced that. The three I have seemed to chug along from the start. But I do see big differences in growth rate. Odorata appears to be much quicker than eriospatha  

See I find eriospatha pretty quick even in a pot , go figure 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 3:50 PM, RJ said:

Yes, mine has been very slow to get established! I planted a largish 1g in 2019 and it pushed 1 to 2 spears per year the first two years. I grow it pretty lean so it gets used to prolonged CA drought. It’s planted in a hellstrip in full sun and rocky/sandy soil. It’s been following the sleep, creep, leap pattern for me. It’s picking up pace now in year 3 and new fronds are much larger. 

I’m thinking smaller plants may need more time to grow a root system? 

143AB42B-D1D3-445B-9430-FE58EF63F889.jpeg

FF9E90FB-B97B-4F1C-A4DB-E5A2F8608BED.png