IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Salak palm (salacca zalacca) germinated

Sapiindo

Salak seed germinate using only tissue and water. Growing from 9 june until 3 july (24 days):DIMG20220703145748.thumb.jpg.63a2c711006ef2ff2b463c8640dc256d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Cool!  How and where will you plant them?  Do these grow outside deep, humid tropics?

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

2 hours ago, awkonradi said:

Cool!  How and where will you plant them?  Do these grow outside deep, humid tropics?

Actually i want to make them all a bonsai palm in pot and just want to pick 1 or 2 in the ground(not bonsai). And salak palm can grow in subtropical and tropical climates, like im in the java island its very easy to grow i have one in front yard, but in subtropical it needs very good care because this palm is not very cold hardy, and this needs to be grow outside it needs a warm area and can grow in filtered light:lol:.

Edited by Sapiindo

Thank you!  Java is where I saw Salack.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

26 minutes ago, awkonradi said:

Thank you!  Java is where I saw Salack.

Youre welcome!

Very cool. They just pop on water like that, huh? What is the tissue for?

3 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Very cool. They just pop on water like that, huh? What is the tissue for?

Yea, they just germinate for 3 weeks covered with a wet tissue inside a container, and the tissue is used to germinate a seed and using this method it can germinate faster than grow in the soil. Like my orange seeds and dates seed they just shoot a roots in a 2 week.

Here’s a link to a previous discussion on Salacca. Some hefty sharp spines……quite unforgiving.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii