IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Birmingham seedling ?

WSimpson

I haven't seen enough small Birminghams to notice a difference between  small Minors and  small Birminghams  . This small palm is directly under my biggest Birmingham . Does anybody see anything that makes them think this might be a Birmingham or the ubiquitous Minors  that spread seedlings  all around my property  ? I think I will dig it up and plant it somewhere in case it's a Birmingham . 

Thanks ,

Will

Seedling ; anything different about this from a Minor ? My Birmingham has been seeding for the last 4 years and I typically let a lot of  the seed just fall down below it . 

52180120511_d78b71d139_b.jpg

Seedling is to the right of the trunk picture below :

52179098367_8a06b748d3_b.jpg

52179099157_ff1eec4f94_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I decided that my big Manihot grahamii was shading out my Sabal Birmingham too much so I cut it back and cleaned-up some of the Birmingham's ugly older fronds and petioles  . 

It's a much prettier palm now  .

Will

Don't worry this Manihot will be growing back fast but it was shading out my Birmy  . My Birmy is on the right :

52182075893_577148f5e0_b.jpg

100lb dog for scale . Shaylen is in Italy . 

52182558830_7cbb918664_b.jpg

52182556940_8af812b354_b.jpg

Here is the trunk with the seedling :

52181047317_79e4fd651c_b.jpg

Nighttime picture :

52182558480_7dc8ca5f28_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, teddytn said:

Badass!! I love seeing pics of your birmys

Thanks Teddy .

I'm glad I cleaned it up a little and cut back that Manihot some too  . I'm going to dig up that Birmy/Minor ? small plant and hope it's a Birmy . 

Will

• Like 1

The mystery is solved . It's a Minor , and I got a crappy rootball being that it was so cramped in and around those Birmy petioles  . I cut almost all the fronds off it and potted it up . Should be a nice gift to someone when it gets established .

Will

52181441122_c97c8abe84_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2