Sign in to follow this  
Palms and Pines

Critiquing Palms in Video Games

Palms and Pines

Hello everybody I wanted to get everyones opinions on which video game developers have made the best “virtual palm”, now there are variables such as art style, graphic engine, how old the game is etc that may determine why the palms may look one way or another, but with that being said let’s get started.

First off is a Washingtonia and a Phoniex from the game GTA5 from rockstar games, I quite like these as they look realistic for a game and are easy to identify.

39022319-4A15-4259-865C-EEF56ABFA007.thumb.jpeg.3343d406b796d095359fe808b229aa99.jpeg
Next from Red Dead Redemption 2 (Also from rockstar games) is Clearly Sabal Minor I think they did a fantastic job recreating it.

5FA395F3-CCBA-46F4-AB07-39C8F4293328.thumb.jpeg.01df9b84160793dc7faa9feb8a5f67ab.jpeg

Also from Red dead appears to be Washingtonia again, but in my opinion they somehow look worse in this game then gta even though it’s a newer video game.
91809C99-6244-4694-A7F4-7FB39AAD0EFD.thumb.jpeg.2a6efa24893880423b32733780f4af36.jpeg

This is what I believe is supposed to be a sabal palmetto, I don’t think it’s costapalmate simply because that’s probably harder to implement D75C5D9F-0CC2-497E-B5E9-56F3DC676088.thumb.jpeg.20cef21956ab2c6dd9eee58d88169443.jpeg

Next from the game the crew 2 appears to be date palms. Not a big fan because this part of the map is supposed to be in Miami and I feel like they could have added coconuts instead.

A0049A4F-E933-4733-AE90-F213E8FEC016.thumb.jpeg.7f3c746cc4d7e01278131f1ad469d853.jpeg

Next is from the game Hunt:showdown. Looks like Sabal Minor.

601698B5-E19E-4AAD-928B-1596B79299B0.thumb.jpeg.eafb1c811f6e4630648533dc6a634790.jpeg

Need for speed. I think these are supposed to be washies but they almost look more like trachycarpus.

9894CBDB-833B-42D4-975D-2483F1ED3FCC.thumb.jpeg.a827ba130ef03867b2bf30dcd9ab2952.jpeg

next are coconuts from the game Stranded deep, not a big fan of these ones to be honest.

122F3D58-76EC-4286-A0BD-02CE7F96FB45.thumb.jpeg.3011c1d61dfa74fa97aec755982f47a3.jpeg

Next is Coconuts from the game dead island. Although not entirely realistic, I quite like the design of them in this game. 

FEC1E49C-1D03-4C60-9398-146EEF5DA82B.thumb.jpeg.4494c91c589381375678290c01b40bcb.jpeg

Coconut from Battlefield V is not bad either.
5820E935-36DE-4092-B152-20410A98099A.thumb.jpeg.b9042b1a491be6dd36bd09d71eea8a07.jpeg

I will add more as I screenshot them in games. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

iDesign

Thanks for this great post (hopefully others will add more screenshots as well).

My son is a "Video Game Art" major at USC, so I'll show him your post. He shared with me that several upcoming class projects will have a plant theme to them. Mostly futuristic Avatar-like plants, but some will include a touch of realism.

Of course, the most "other-worldly" plants actually exist (esp in tropical areas). I would personally love to play a video game where the plants looked like Verschaffeltia splendida, Licualas, etc. But then would it bother me that they're not in the right country? :indifferent:  Nah... I say bring on something more exotic than Washingtonia, Sabals, Coconuts, etc! Though with many of these video game designers being from L.A., that's probably the only palms they know.

Hmmm, maybe I'll suggest that my son make a cool (and realistic) exotic palm -based video game someday :wub:

• Like 1

iDesign

Excuse the quickie job - just having some fun (lol)...

Before: 

palmtalk-game.jpeg.731dd32bbfc9d3d04a2a36d448b6b913.jpeg

After:

palmtalk-game.png.62b7dfafaf46134754fc5f2c5b3f76eb.png

• Like 3

ZPalms

This is actually funny because I thought of a thread like this once before but didn't know how well it would do, I got a couple to add but I'll have to do it later.

The Gta washies always feel off to me for whatever reason, the really tall ones are ok but the shorter ones I'm not sure of

• Like 3

PalmCode

This is  why I hope  Rockstar games to go back to Vice City for the next grand theft auto game. The amount of detail could be overwhelming.

From memory  Far cry 3 had some nice looking palms around. I think you could you could even set some on fire with the flamethrower.

• Like 3

Palms and Pines
7 hours ago, PalmCode said:

This is  why I hope  Rockstar games to go back to Vice City for the next grand theft auto game. The amount of detail could be overwhelming.

From memory  Far cry 3 had some nice looking palms around. I think you could you could even set some on fire with the flamethrower.

I too hope they go back to Vice City, it would be real cool to see in today’s graphics.

I also recall Far Cry 3 having some nice palms and scenery. Speaking of Far Cry, I believe the newest entry Far Cry 6, had some nice realistic looking royal palms, from the gameplay I’ve seen of it.

• Like 2

Cluster

Crysis, not my screenshot! Personally I think it is still the the best coconut simulator:)

7QEJe5M3y4DvbN7i7n8SGS-1024x576.jpg

• Like 4

tinman10101

there are some young washies in Breath of the Wild i've seen when my son plays the game.

PalmCode

I was just thinking of the oldest game I remember that had palm trees in it and it would be the 1992 Sega game Sonic 2.
The robot monkeys would try to hit you with coconuts, which was a pretty cool idea at the time.

sonic.jpg

• Like 4

Palms and Pines
2 hours ago, PalmCode said:

I was just thinking of the oldest game I remember that had palm trees in it and it would be the 1992 Sega game Sonic 2.
The robot monkeys would try to hit you with coconuts, which was a pretty cool idea at the time.

sonic.jpg

I was just thinking of the sonic games, If I remember the 3rd Sonic game had a jungle like level that also had some sort of palms in it.

Edited by Palms and Pines
Typo
  • Upvote 1

Palms and Pines

6E5BE4C7-9BD1-4473-9487-056C0B52E618.thumb.jpeg.952f1ca884ead64ba796456ea0f5b9ba.jpeg

here’s a date palm in assassins creed origins 

• Like 4