IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyphophoenix elegans

Billy

Yesterday I added a new palm to my collection. Just the day before I acquired a 5g Chambeyronia Hookeri but the FOMO didn’t kick in until I got home and realized that I was blowing it by leaving the 15g Cyphophoenix behind. Back to Joe Palma’s I went. I ended up grabbing the exact same palm that I had looked at and decided against buying (pure stupidity). So I got her back to Leucadia in time to plant but I found a weird surprise while finishing the hole…I hit solid concrete exactly where the roots where gunna go. All sweaty, confused, and discouraged, I filled the hole back and called it a day. This afternoon I plan to find a different spot in the garden and get her in the ground. As the palm has already seen plenty of full sun, I plan on taking advantage of that and showcasing it somewhere special. Perhaps near the driveway by my small howea? Anyways, super excited to add a new species to the garden and see how she does for me. Feel free to chime in and share your experiences and photos of your Cyphophoenix. 

1FB8CD40-5717-4F9A-899C-E01CD028187F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Ah thats a good sized one you got.

I have a trio of Cyphophoenix. I’ve only had them for a couple if months though. I’m pretty optimistic they’ll do well here. 
Nucele - In the ground taking lots of sun and a bit of damage. New leaves seem to be wearing SPF 50

56129BA7-9C5C-4B47-83B8-C4FD4DD16CC0.thumb.jpeg.a789e8e682ae9c7de0d77bf7000a4cb4.jpeg

Elegans - 1 gal I have 2 of these. Wonder how they would be as a double?

B6761767-9C6F-4DC7-BCE7-855A74B11A23.thumb.jpeg.488848f3e1a680e3506261b61181282f.jpeg

Alba - 1 gal. waiting for a spot to put it. 

What do you think the concrete was? 

19359959-7195-4805-9F2B-41213F74D124.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I got 2 1g from Floribunda last year.  I murdered one with neglect.  It got overgrown by other palms before I noticed, shaded out, and then got crown rot from too much roof splash and not enough sun.  

I still have the other.  It is super, duper, ultra-slow for me.  Grows at 1/4th the speed of Pseudophoenix Sargentii so far.  The roots seem to grow strong and deep though.  Would like to see it grow up someday, but it will be a good, long while.  Maybe it would be happier/faster in the ground.   

6E75DAEC-8317-4F76-9127-AEC9236B6A65.thumb.jpeg.b45ff7b301d0f3a0228eb30e0f2ad221.jpeg

ADD54F74-47F3-442D-A340-CE1BD222D110.thumb.jpeg.d6f016cd07e6d444c655aa29a3f86d3e.jpeg

If anyone knows the secret recipe for these (other then patience) do tell.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

You might as well post a pic of the hookeri too ;)

Will do! I'll go take one right now...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

What do you think the concrete was? 

So baffled, I have no clue. Couldn't be foundation as it's right next to the edge of the grass and the sprinkler line. A good 12' from the house. I removed a large chunky round piece of concrete not too long ago while digging the hole for my Bismarckia, but this was perfectly flat concrete. Maybe I should have investigated more and tried to find an edge to get under it and dig it out. At that point I was so sweaty and sore from digging I just gave up. 

• Upvote 1

I found something similar in my back yard and was thinking old grey water septic tank. I had a similar reaction though trying to dig around it burned me down and I gave up in disgust lol

• Upvote 1

Here’s one of my new Hookeri. Super pretty color on the petioles. She deserves a thread of her own as I’m slowly acclimating her and getting her ready to throw in the ground. 

A828B811-F678-40EE-927C-A4C404F337B6.jpeg

• Like 3

I looove this palm. Grows straight through winter (basic covering on a handful of nights, no added heat) and 80 degree nights/100 degree days just west of Houston. Was doing just fine with afternoon sun in the mid 90s but a recent string of 100+ degree days on the summer solstice caused a bit of sunburn. Coming up on about a year in the ground, hope to get a few more.

PXL_20220625_213445726_MP.thumb.jpg.d78e2e5d2653ce171814fdbf5c30a7b7.jpg

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 5

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I think C elegans might have the same condition as Hedyscepe and some other species; I think it largely boils down to luck whether you get a robust growing specimen or one that barely moves. I’ve had good luck with my 2 here in Melbourne. We have much less warmth than So Cal and many other Mediterranean climates but my faster one probably outgrows Chambeyronia macrocarpa and oliviformis to be my fastest New Cal palm.  However I don’t know of many others here having any success at all. Here’s my faster one, gets plenty of water in summer, no addition irrigation in winter, plenty of mulch and occasional liquid fertiliser throughout the growing season and liquid seaweed all year round. It’s still pushing new growth during mid winter. 

1F4461A6-5428-4A37-92B5-04DC6C9F40F7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

7 hours ago, Billy said:

That had to have been it. The old septic tank is about 5’ from where I was digging 

Definitely a possibility.   My house dates back to the early 1950's, so in addition to the old Avocado Grove irrigation lines from the 1920's,  I found the old walkway buried which lead to the original front door.  Lots of surprises I have discovered including the septic tank from before the neighborhood hooked up to sewer lines a few decades back.

This palm does well in part shade or full sun in our neighborhood.   I have 3 as you probably recall, all slightly different sun exposure.  They are good growers here faster than most New Caledonia palms,  but Kentiopsis oliviformis is still faster here.  Great species selection Billy!

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

5 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

This one is growing in full sun in my front yard in Fort Lauderdale.

What an absolute beauty! I was gunna start mentioning things I like about your palm when I realized...I love EVERYTHING about it! Truly a perfect palm. 

• Like 1

Update on my Cyphophoenix...

After feeling defeated from my first attempt at planting the palm the other day, yesterday afternoon I managed to dig a nice big hole in the same part of the garden just ~7' to the east of where I was originally trying to plant it. No concrete this time. Redemption! This spot should work in it's favor as it will take even longer for the house to finally shade the palm in the late afternoon. It was grown about 20 minutes east from me and has been in full blasting inland sun so she should be fine in an "all day full sun" location. One thing's for sure, in my eyes it added a ton of diversity to that area. What was previously just an ensete maurelii with a bunch of ti's and bromeliads littered everywhere along the grass is now looking more like a proper planter with a bright future. Bad lighting right now with the coastal June gloom but I may have to post a photo anyways.....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

This one is growing in full sun in my front yard in Fort Lauderdale.IMG_5528.thumb.jpeg.4024a9e0c278a51395c090cac6b7a34b.jpeg

Nice…. How old is this guy?   

Bam! Happy she found a home near the ocean. Just christening her right now with her maiden slow trickle inundation. Cheers

A09975E9-B74D-461F-9446-90E76E8E9290.jpeg

• Like 4