IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Double Headed Triangle Palm

Swatelski

Anyone ever seen a Double Headed Triangle Palm? I recently pruned a severely overgrown Triangle Palm on my property, that revealed it has 2 fully frown heads sitting atop a single 8 foot tall trunk.

here’s the image:

11EEAECF-771B-444D-A7AD-CA1D56CAA442

Edited by Swatelski
  • Like 18

Wowowow!!!!!!!

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Very cool!

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Neato!

That palm has a story. Not sure what, but something happened. It has the same Resurrection Fern on the lower truck that mine hosts. That fern must like the trunk of a Triangle.

Ryan

• Like 2

South Florida

55 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

Not sure what, but something happened.

I concur, have to wonder what.

19 hours ago, Swatelski said:

I recently pruned a severely overgrown Triangle Palm on my property,

I'm guessing you are in Florida???  Was it hit by lightning at one point or did it have another trauma? 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

So you didn’t know it was a double until you cleaned it up?

Correct. We bought the house about 18 months ago, and it was overgrown then. By the time I finally got around to cleaning it up, I could barely make out that it was actually a triangle Palm.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I concur, have to wonder what.

I'm guessing you are in Florida???  Was it hit by lightning at one point or did it have another trauma? 

Yes, South Florida. I spoke to the previous owner of the house, and she would prune the tree herself about once a year up until about 4 years ago when she was no longer able to get up on the roof to reach the back side. She said she never noticed it growing 2 heads, nor did she ever notice damage. I suspect it was hit by lightning at some point after she stopped pruning it, and she never paid close enough attention to what was going in.

• Like 2

I always question the multi head/lightning theory. When I have seen palms get hit by lightning, it has been catastrophic. Obviously, I have only seen a few. But the ones I have seen have died rapidly. I even saw one catch on fire. This one was a Washingtonia at a neighbors house that died after the strike.

02C2D149-09DE-45EA-BAAE-3DF3CB9BE3A7.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I always question the multi head/lightning theory. When I have seen palms get hit by lightning, it has been catastrophic. Obviously, I have only seen a few. But the ones I have seen have died rapidly. I even saw one catch on fire. This one was a Washingtonia at a neighbors house that died after the strike.

02C2D149-09DE-45EA-BAAE-3DF3CB9BE3A7.jpeg

Is that a split all the way down the trunk?

• Like 2

I also doubt it was lightning. When they hit Slash Pines around here it explodes, splits or the trunk collapses. I did see one catch fire briefly, but died. It was dead for a while. Then it fell over due to trunk failure during hurricane Matthew. Lightning is drawn to highest point above canopy, that palm is not high in the sky reducing the odds of a lightning strike.

still an awesome pic.