IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Triple king palm – Any guesses on deficiency here?

Christopher Dillman

King palm here, about two years old. It was originally a triple, but then lost its third trunk back in 2/2021, now a double dutch.

Since then, I'd say it's been doing 'ok', but not thriving in green lush as one would expect with a Triple King. Appears to get enough water, and new fronds do pop in from time to time20220622_130505.thumb.jpg.7b5b2f4570de26f1b0f7d4baba37ab32.jpg20220622_130513.thumb.jpg.c5ef38af433a58c7f5572ee462bc4582.jpg20220622_130525.thumb.jpg.ad5a5113b2f73a81f4ad47500e5c28f4.jpg.

Attached pics will show silverish-browning in the leaves, and one palm frond that mysteriously has one of the leaves browning and folding as if about to fall off. Never seen that behavior before with a palm.

I've been hitting it with Danconil every three months. It's due for it's 3rd treatment today. I've been spraying the trunk in case of fungus.

Mineral deficiency? Needs even more water? Keeping punching it with the Daconil? Welcome thoughts from the Oracle of Palms here. :)

Edited by Christopher Dillman

2 hours ago, Christopher Dillman said:

Needs even more water? Keeping punching it with the Daconil? Welcome thoughts from the Oracle of Palms here. :)

Jim in Los Altos is the Oracle of the Bangalows.... Jim in Los Altos

On the one folded leaflet that is browning, it appears that something bent a grouping of leaflets and the one that is browning had enough damage so as to cut off circulation.  I would guess more water since they are water hogs.  I know I have plenty of other palms that look better most of the time on the same water rations as my bangalows get.  Let's see what Jim's thoughts are though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I don’t see any clear evidence of nutritional deficiency. The browning and folding of leaflets is commonplace for Archontophoenix in my area, usually caused by a combination of thirst for more water and wind. 

Generally, if you’re climate allows, keeping it simple with Archontophoenix is usually the best bet. Pretty much can’t overwater them. Regular watering and occasional liquid seaweed seems to work well. If they have enough moisture, I’ve rarely seen any with nutritional deficiency. My from understanding some of the areas they are native to have quite poor soils. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Christopher, You’re in Encinitas so it’s definitely not subjected to a lot of heat stress but wind and full afternoon sun can be a stain on these palms. They are not needy for nutrients but feeding with a good palm fertilizer like PalmGain will make their fronds darker green, larger, and even glossy so long as they get copious amounts of water. 

EB95FC4E-497F-4F0D-B9C5-1B74E6689447.thumb.jpeg.3ba26b59cdc3c5a5c08704a2e1462844.jpeg

• Like 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Much appreciated Jim. Interesting you note 'Palm Gain'. I have been using it for this Triple King, alas haven't used since March. It's long overdue.

How does this gameplan sound?

> Punch in 2 more 1.0GPH emitters to the drip line on the palm. Keep the drip at 22min 2 times a week. 
> Add Palm Gain {last time I added 1.5 cup around trunk, covered with Happy Frog soil conditioner}. Re-apply every 6 weeks.
> Axe the Daconil program - sounds like it's not fungus related.

I thought about adding another day of watering for the palm, yet given the water rationing going on now in CA, maybe hold off on that one. Poke in more emitters, or even bump the 2 days to 27min.

1 hour ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

They are not needy for nutrients but feeding with a good palm fertilizer like PalmGain..

2 hours ago, Christopher Dillman said:

Much appreciated Jim. Interesting you note 'Palm Gain'. I have been using it for this Triple King, alas haven't used since March. It's long overdue.

How does this gameplan sound?

> Punch in 2 more 1.0GPH emitters to the drip line on the palm. Keep the drip at 22min 2 times a week. 
> Add Palm Gain {last time I added 1.5 cup around trunk, covered with Happy Frog soil conditioner}. Re-apply every 6 weeks.
> Axe the Daconil program - sounds like it's not fungus related.

I thought about adding another day of watering for the palm, yet given the water rationing going on now in CA, maybe hold off on that one. Poke in more emitters, or even bump the 2 days to 27min.

Mostly good. Their roots travel far however. They will often travel 30 feet or more from the palm’s trunk. Photos below show a section of my koi pond during demolition. Those roots belong to the two palms in the background. Needless to say, drippers only at the base of you palms won’t reach a large percentage of their roots unless there are additional irrigation emitters watering other plants further out where the Archontophoenix get water in the vicinity of those other plants. 

2BBC48D8-E059-4B88-ABFF-3890EB6B4631.thumb.jpeg.e4e8704d167c23606d1ad44f82199010.jpeg

46362B1F-3D07-4B0A-B397-524086AF5657.thumb.jpeg.1f2d2e4f28e1c47314bf50ed11892d09.jpeg

• Like 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

3 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Mostly good. Their roots travel far however. They will often travel 30 feet or more from the palm’s trunk. Photos below show a section of my koi pond during demolition. Those roots belong to the two palms in the background. Needless to say, drippers only at the base of you palms won’t reach a large percentage of their roots unless there are additional irrigation emitters watering other plants further out where the Archontophoenix get water in the vicinity of those other plants. 

2BBC48D8-E059-4B88-ABFF-3890EB6B4631.thumb.jpeg.e4e8704d167c23606d1ad44f82199010.jpeg

46362B1F-3D07-4B0A-B397-524086AF5657.thumb.jpeg.1f2d2e4f28e1c47314bf50ed11892d09.jpeg

this is a great shot for those using drippers.  Many palms grow a huge root zone, if you do not water it will be stunted and you will end up with a palm that doesnt have enough roots to supply water and nutrients to a full crown.    I have found roots 1/4" thick 25' from a mature sabal causiarum.   The roots will not grow if they dont get wet.  With Jims palms the koi pond appears to have kept it wet under there.  Great photo!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

7 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Photos are fascinating! It is indeed a good reminder. For good measure I'll plug a few more emitters further away from tree.

Coincidentally, there's a rosemary bush nearby the Triple is drying up for some mysterious reason. Plug emitters there.

This would also explain these two queens I have. The grass around it was removed several years ago, replaced with new grass + DG. They've never been quite the same since. Yellowing as you will see too, I never added Palm Gain to these two. But I will now, work on the same schedule as the Triple.

So insightful, thank you.

20220623_084703.thumb.jpg.e6037ba1905421db62fcdc5bf9be4458.jpg

• Upvote 1