IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A couple of gems at Cardiff Bill’s

quaman58

Hey all,
I made a quick trip up to Bill‘s yesterday afternoon and spent some time wandering the garden with both him and Randy (Inland Palms). He has some tremendous specimens representing a number of different species, but here are a couple that really jumped out at me..

A wonderful Mad Fox (Dypsis coursii?) that is flowering again hand holding some seed this time around. An amazing little palm..

A70FEFC6-4BD8-48CC-BC7C-621633C178DB.jpeg

3FD19EE6-2E05-4250-9C07-C05993103646.jpeg

• Like 5

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

His often discussed Ravenea julietae. This palm is going to be the centerpiece of anybody’s garden who was fortunate enough to obtain one of these when they were available in the past. That’s Randy and his refreshment for scale. Thanks for looking!

BDA0F294-FCE9-4B16-A3A6-751A72A8A2D3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Bret

32 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

His often discussed Ravenea julietae. This palm is going to be the centerpiece of anybody’s garden who was fortunate enough to obtain one of these when they were available in the past. That’s Randy and his refreshment for scale. Thanks for looking!

Love the Juliette. Couldn’t find one so I got her ugly stepsister the Samberiensis. Cool, but not nearly as cool. That’s a good pic! :greenthumb:

-dale

• Like 1

@Billeb, it took me a little time, but now I see why you stated your acquisition like you did.....

3b8a8d09-3aef-4395-8eba-b0c107015ad6.jpg

• Like 3

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

24 minutes ago, Billeb said:

Love the Juliette. Couldn’t find one so I got her ugly stepsister the Samberiensis. Cool, but not nearly as cool. That’s a good pic! :greenthumb:

-dale

Dale, that's a fabulous palm as well.  Just harder to grow! So we're all counting on you...

Bret

• Like 1

Bret

7 minutes ago, TheMadScientist said:

@Billeb, it took me a little time, but now I see why you stated your acquisition like you did.....

That's very cool. Raveneas are so spotty making it into cultivation, based on the male/female requirements. Sp. "giant, sambirinensis, robustior, lakatra and others have to be snagged wherever and whenever you see them.  Whether or not you're in the purchasing mood..

• Like 3

Bret

2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Dale, that's a fabulous palm as well.  Just harder to grow! So we're all counting on you...

Bret

Bret, I don’t like the sound of that. That may be a little too much pressure for my amateur palm grower status. Here she is…. unfortunately not in the Earth yet. 

-dale

8D7EB89B-FBA5-4E4B-851B-50D131B37217.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TheMadScientist said:

That’s a great photo!

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

10 hours ago, quaman58 said:

I made a quick trip up to Bill‘s yesterday afternoon and spent some time wandering the garden with both him and Randy (Inland Palms). He has some tremendous specimens representing a number of different species, but here are a couple that really jumped out at me..

Great garden and you just touched the tip of the iceberg with the photos.  I've walked by the front a few times recently while out walking the dogs in that end of town, but haven't been inside to see everything.  Love this one below:

10 hours ago, quaman58 said:

This palm is going to be the centerpiece of anybody’s garden who was fortunate enough to obtain one of these when they were available in the past. That’s Randy and his refreshment for scale. Thanks for looking!

It's good to know there is another one close by, as perhaps someday one of us may someday need some pollen (if we are lucky).  I've got a pair on either side of my back driveway now.

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation