IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HELP! with coconut seedling

Adi

50 minutes ago, Adi said:

Hey guys. I have a coconut seedling named Clous that I received about a week ago. Below is a video recording what is going on with the plant. Could anyone help me figure out what's going on and what I should do to fix the issue. He's starting to brown. Thank you.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZYynov8Tf4n8nAmR9

Welcome to Palm talk :):greenthumb:

I think your coconut needs a bigger pot but do you put your coconut in full sun?

• Upvote 1

Yes. Outside is its permanent home! I have ordered a 10" pot as well. Any suggestions on amount of water and frequency of watering for this size plant?

Edited by Adi
  • Like 1

It does look like you sunburned it...  Needs WAY more water and a bigger pot, or plant it in the ground and protect it with shade cloth to slowly get it acclimated to full sun.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

8 minutes ago, Adi said:

Yes. Outside is its permanent home! I have ordered a 10" pot as well. Any suggestions on amount of water and frequency of watering for this size plant?

Watering frequency would depend on your soil and how fast it drains, but if you're in a climate that supports coconuts, you could put it in the ground. If the coconut was grown in a greenhouse wherever it was produced to sell, there's a chance it may be sunburned from being moved into full sun so quickly like aztropics suggest.

5 minutes ago, aztropic said:

It does look like you sunburned it...  Needs WAY more water and a bigger pot, or plant it in the ground and protect it with shade cloth to slowly get it acclimated to full sun.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I also need a shade cloth, do you know what percentage is good enough? I was thinking 40% since it's almost in the middle?

Edited by ZPalms

I got it from fastgrowingtrees.com. I haven't changed the soil yet. I just mixed in a bit of grounded coffee beans and egg shells a friend had. I have some loam soil now, but waiting until I get the new pot to replant. I just looked at it and found one little tiny spider on it that I will wash off, but I doubt that one tiny culprit is doing all of this. I will also put it in some shade for a while to see if that helps. 

I read that I should cut off the sunburned leaf. Do you all advise that? I have wpied off the leaves and placed it in a hot shaded area. I really appreciate you alls help. 

19 minutes ago, Adi said:

I got it from fastgrowingtrees.com. I haven't changed the soil yet. I just mixed in a bit of grounded coffee beans and egg shells a friend had. I have some loam soil now, but waiting until I get the new pot to replant. I just looked at it and found one little tiny spider on it that I will wash off, but I doubt that one tiny culprit is doing all of this. I will also put it in some shade for a while to see if that helps. 

3 minutes ago, Adi said:

I read that I should cut off the sunburned leaf. Do you all advise that? I have wpied off the leaves and placed it in a hot shaded area. I really appreciate you alls help. 

69$ for a coconut :bemused: Whew that's hefty! You don't have to do anything to the sunburn, It won't heal but the living tissue around the sunburn will contiune photosynthesis. I'm bad at acclimating palms into full sun and still have no idea how to do it  :):greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It came the size it is now. Not just the seed. Idk if that makes a difference. Do you have any suggestions on where to buy coconut trees cheaper and thank you. I will look up how to acclimate a coconut tree to full sun. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adi said:

It came the size it is now. Not just the seed. Idk if that makes a difference. Do you have any suggestions on where to buy coconut trees cheaper and thank you. I will look up how to acclimate a coconut tree to full sun. 

@NOT A TA has some currently on his website from his own tree, It's the same exact species as the one you bought if you ever decide to buy anymore :greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Leave the sunburned leaf in place.  Use a very sandy soil in your next pot (not straight loam).  No direct sun for the rest of the summer. Water frequently.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@NOT A TA Any preferences on what i should mix with the sandy loam? I was thinking salt and neem cake powder. Is that enough? I also bought some palm fertilizer spikes incase i would need those. Also how frequently would you water if it were you? Thank you all for your expertise to help Clous. Also I will definitely be checking out your coconuts.

In a 10" pot I'd think daily water as long as temp is above say 75 F. No need to get carried away with additional nutrients etc. since it's still got the nut. Palm fertilizer in the fall and then start giving it some direct sunlight. If you want to try the salt thing I'd wait till next spring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to PT. First, where are you? I get the impression you live far from SFL. Almost no one is more expensive than Fast Growing Trees. You can do much better here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

SFL = South Florida, USA

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

13 hours ago, Adi said:

@NOT A TA Are your seedlings already fully sun acclimated?

I have both. They seem to grow faster if they're not in full sun (here) when very young. Keep in mind you got your plant just before the summer solstice and subjected it to the strongest and longest sunlight of the season.

• Upvote 1

These are good points I was unaware of. Thank you. I recently transplanted it. It seems like the older leaves are getting affected & browning and the newer growth is doing well. Does that mean the older leaves are dying off and it's acclimating and focusing on the newer growth? Or am I just failing at my first attempt?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7iwAyMJdB9SCg4xT9

Edited by Adi

As new leaves develop they automatically acclimate themselves to the current sunlight.  The type of sunburn damage your plant experienced usually occurs when leaves that developed in shade are exposed to strong sunlight.

Also, you mentioned in a previous post that outdoor was it's permanent home.  It's very unlikely to survive long term as a potted outdoor plant in Georgia.

• Upvote 1

No coconut can survive a GA winter outdoors without serious protection and supplemental heat. You got about 6 months to work out a plan for it.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.