IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Beccariophoenix

ahosey01

Finally took the plunge after thinking about it for years.  Fairly close to the house but still has room.  In a flood irrigated lawn..  about 8ft tall. Old fronds looked like crap at the nursery but it was in full blazing sun in a poor soil mix, irrigated with salty well water.  I think it will be happy in it's spot, assuming it's hardy here.  My Bismarckia hasn't burned in three winters so I expect this will be similar.

PXL_20220615_012622536.thumb.jpg.1fe2fbc437c7b6b24e2e7f3c155b9ec3.jpg

• Like 12

Which species is it. I’m assuming B. alfredii. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Great palm!  I imagine that at your temperatures, this time of year, that one would appreciate a tremendous amount of water, especially early on.   

Whenever I think of an Alfredii role model, I think of the one that was at Searle Bros Nursery down here.    I snapped a pic of it one of the times I was there, but it really doesn’t demonstrate the true robustness or beauty of that one.   Something to look forward to….

9BA394E1-6458-4EC9-910E-39F89EAA28D4.thumb.jpeg.777f81ec78269cf5c004b480685c1475.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Which species is it. I’m assuming B. alfredii. 

Yep - alfredii.  At least that's what it was sold to me as.  I don't know if I'd be able to confidently distinguish if the ID was incorrect.

Looks great. Alredii is a tiny bit more sensitive to frost than Bismarckia - at least the leaf tips show a bit more damage - but that could also be due to them being whisped around in any wind event. 

• Like 1

In my yard similarly sized (overall height) Bismarckia and Alfredii took about the same damage.  Just some leaf tip burn on both, though it was more visually obvious on the Alfredii.  On the Bismarcks the browned sections were kind of "tan" and blended in with the silvery fans.  :)

• Like 1