IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer watering!

teddytn

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Unless there's freak wind along with it, I'll still have to water half of my Patio Squad. If there is freak wind, I'll end up picking up half of Patio Squad and sweeping dirt off my porch. Plus the 20 or so indoors 

I usually finish watering around 1 to 1:30 AM; just half an inch of rain and temperatures below 100 will be a godsend. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, amh said:

I usually finish watering around 1 to 1:30 AM; just half an inch of rain and temperatures below 100 will be a godsend. 

It did not rain. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, amh said:

Was supposed to rain yesterday and passed over….I’ve been spending so much time watering this year

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It did not rain. 

Not only did it not rain, the temperature is already 5 degrees higher than usual this time of day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, amh said:

Not only did it not rain, the temperature is already 5 degrees higher than usual this time of day.

Same here. We get a ton of 90 degree days a year, but always with weekly rain mixed in. Been getting hammered with heat since May, and haven’t had a good substantial rain at my house in 6 weeks. Anything that’s established and been in the ground for a while is loving it, all the new palms and other plants I planted this year are showing stress. Even agaves and yuccas are begging for a break lol. The only saving grace is setting up that sprinkler so I can step away. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, amh said:

Dedicated palm daddy! Happy palm Father’s Day, gonna damn earn it this year lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amh said:

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a summer this hot and this dry. I remember all the trees in The Woodlands were brown lol. 2010 or 2011. 

There's more green on my patio than the ground. 

• Like 2

Unrelated but sorta related.  

I'm almost out of Alaska fish stink. Is liquid kelp or seaweed equally beneficial? Between that and the chicken crap pellets, I'm surprised my patio isn't mobbed by feral cats. The combo mixed between the heat, well, it smells like a Captain D's dumpster right now. Or like, the inside of an Arby's. Don't get me wrong, palms are happy and growing at an absolutely stupid pace. But the combo of 100 degree heat mixed with a cornucopia of stink is a lot. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 2:12 PM, Fallen Munk said:

No need to water in the PNW, we're drowning in the stuff.    Still cold here.  We have to wear jackets.  Last night while I was watching TV I had to grab a blanket.

Same here…seems to be somewhat below normal with some early mornings being downright chilly…palms don’t care but the basjoo is really lagging behind this year.

• Like 2

I'm fussing about the heat and the drought, but at the same time.... Every day I come home and say "holy crap, you grew THAT MUCH IN ONE DAY" like 20 times.... Even one of my neighbors commented on how much my "green army grows stronger every day." 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm fussing about the heat and the drought, but at the same time.... Every day I come home and say "holy crap, you grew THAT MUCH IN ONE DAY" like 20 times.... Even one of my neighbors commented on how much my "green army grows stronger every day." 

So true! All my plants are definitely responding to all the attention their getting.  All the palms are pushing, fattened up and looking thick lol. Bro I have no idea about the stink water hahaha, I’ve never messed with it personally. What do you think, makes a big difference if you did a side by side grow, one with ass juice and one without? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, teddytn said:

So true! All my plants are definitely responding to all the attention their getting.  All the palms are pushing, fattened up and looking thick lol. Bro I have no idea about the stink water hahaha, I’ve never messed with it personally. What do you think, makes a big difference if you did a side by side grow, one with ass juice and one without? 

I shoulda tried that with some of the babies. It's a 9-0-0 ratio and the label says it won't burn, and labels never lie lol. It does smell worse than Sancho's breath, but the green homeys seem happy. . I'm not a scientist, I'm a hotel manager.

I just squeezed my L. Chinesis onto the patio and gave it the first deep watering it's had since I brought it inside months ago. My B. Alfreidii babies are blowing up. My A. Tuckeri babies are blowing up. My Queen is growing at an absolutely stupid rate since the repotting. My spindle is blowing up. Dirty Sanchez has forgotten all about winters in general. 

And my bad for the crowding of this photo- I actually moved this one out of the corner so I could watch it grow more - Chamaedorea Plumosa. I mean, I joke about Tiny Jungle but it's becoming a legit jungle. This one is thirstier than my Majesty. I'm flooding the pot daily and it's like the Sahara the next night. I understand why they call them Baby Queens now. I'm getting all the vertical growth with a fraction of the trunk size. 

IMG_20220628_190506.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well, I finally had rain, about an inch, so I wont have to water for a few days.

Spring/summer of 2020 on steroids. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, amh said:

Well, I finally had rain, about an inch, so I wont have to water for a few days.

Spring/summer of 2020 on steroids. 

There's a storm in the Gulf. Supposedly we'll get rain Friday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Fingers crossed.

Yesterday brought me up to about 3 inches for the year and the first measurable rain in about 4 months.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

12 minutes ago, amh said:

Fingers crossed.

Yesterday brought me up to about 3 inches for the year and the first measurable rain in about 4 months.

I’m with you guys, feel like I live in damn Texas after the past month lol. Chance of thunderstorms for the next 10 days, hopefully we get a bunch. Fingers crossed, toes crossed lol! @amh I’m glad you got some rain, sucked hearing it’s been that dry at your house

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, amh said:

Fingers crossed.

I was kind of shocked that my boss asked me why all the grass is brown 

Like, really dude? You live here too. Same reason the grass is brown all over this part of the state. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, teddytn said:

I’m with you guys, feel like I live in damn Texas after the past month lol. Chance of thunderstorms for the next 10 days, hopefully we get a bunch. Fingers crossed, toes crossed lol! @amh I’m glad you got some rain, sucked hearing it’s been that dry at your house

I have experience longer droughts in the past, but the temperatures are what makes things so bad.

46 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I was kind of shocked that my boss asked me why all the grass is brown 

Like, really dude? You live here too. Same reason the grass is brown all over this part of the state. 

Some people just don't pay attention to these things, but if you're into gardening or anything outdoors, you'll notice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, amh said:

Some people just don't pay attention to these things, but if you're into gardening or anything outdoors, you'll notice.

I've learned so much in the past 2 years.... And still learning. This is cool though because unlike so many other hobbies, I can see physical, tangible, measurable growth and progress without having to throw a pile of money and time into it. 

Don't get me wrong, I've probably thrown $2k into my plant collection (which is nothing compared to some people on here), but, like, my truck for example - nothing changes unless I throw a handful of cash at it, and all of my Green Homies are actively growing and developing. The Kentias and Lytos move at a glacial pace, but they do move. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

No break from the heat which is fine with me and the sabals, looks like finally some rain coming though. @Allen has me about convinced to run a drip system. I honestly thought it was way more expensive than it is. FD9CAF75-B3F5-4B81-AAF3-2B20A70F9CE5.thumb.png.4c4d22017518c6d45b08c94205509f16.png

We got just enough rain this morning to make it smell like rain and wet the bird poop on my windshield enough for my wipers to smear it. 

• Like 2

Welp now we're forecast to get rain early tomorrow morning. So I'm going to half ass water Patio Squad. If I was a good plant dad I'd move everything so I can fertilize Dirty Sanchez some more. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Welp now we're forecast to get rain early tomorrow morning. So I'm going to half ass water Patio Squad. If I was a good plant dad I'd move everything so I can fertilize Dirty Sanchez some more. 

So dumb lol, I’ve never been so excited for it to rain lol, supposed get thunderstorms starting tomorrow :36_14_15[1]:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, teddytn said:

So dumb lol, I’ve never been so excited for it to rain lol, supposed get thunderstorms starting tomorrow :36_14_15[1]:

Triple digits for the next 2 weeks and no rain. 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Time for Stink Water© and misting 

IMG_20220705_203650.jpg

Should be crossposted to Pets, but Sancho is big mad that I'm going outside with all this fish smelling Stink Water© while all he gets is dog food and an empty La-Z-Boy recliner. Also I made too much Stink Water© so my indoor Lytocaryum and C. Cataractarum got some, and still have leftovers. 

IMG_20220705_213504.jpg

• Like 1