IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Observations about June 12, 2022 Heat

bubba

Furnace Creek/ Death Valley Ca. was reporting a temperature of 116 F at 3 PM PST with a dew point of 24 F, humidity of 4% for a “Real Feel” temperature of 106 F. The high temperature was expected at 4 PM PST at 119 F but the “Real Feel” temperature likely would not exceed 106 F by much.

Frostproof, Fl. was the highest “Real Feel” temperature of 117.3 F in Florida based upon a dewpoint of 79.3°F, humidity of 58% and an actual temperature of 97°F. Waldo, Ark. registered a “Real Feel” temperature of 136.8°F based upon a dewpoint of 85°F, a humidity of 58% and an actual temperature of 105°F.

Once again, Rio Grande City, Texas registered a “Real Feel” temperature of 137.1°F based upon a dewpoint of 85.1°F, a humidity of 57% and an actual temperature of 103°F. I have always wondered where humid Texas disappears and is displaced by dry Texas. Eighty- nine (89) miles northwest of Rio Grande City is Laredo, Texas, which simultaneously registered a “Real Feel” temperature of 102°.7 F with a dewpoint of 66.6°F and the humidity of 36% with an actual temperature of 98°F. Obviously, there is a lot of action taking place in that 89 mile trek( from humid to dry).

The bottom line is that the fierce temperatures encountered in the western deserts do not appear to be a match in “Real Feel” experienced southern Texas, humid Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and and generally all southern places east of the Mississippi river. It seems that humid and dry Texas are separated by the 89 miles between Rio Grande City and Laredo, Texas.

The lack of humidity seems to make climate much more beneficent, notwithstanding the actual temperature in Fahrenheit, even in the fierce western deserts. What does the Forum think about this observation?

What you look for is what is looking

I suspect the dry line dances and moves around Texas, usually hugging the more coastal areas of the Rio Grande Valley. In many occasions, even McAllen will be dry while Brownsville will be humid. I think it is in a state of constant flux so it's hard to pin down just one location. That is some impressive heat and humidity thought!

• Like 3

Having spent a fair amount of time in the desert Southwest, the high temperatures never seemed to feel as oppressive as the summer heat in Florida. Particularly when I was in my teens, I could not understand how it could be 100°F and feel like it was 85°F.

The lack of humidity and low dewpoints actually do make the heat feel considerably less oppressive. That stated, when it is 120°F, it certainly feels hot! I guess that is what is so appealing to people who live in Florida and the many other humid but hot areas during the summer when experiencing the heat in the desert southwest.

I fully agree that the humid/dry lime in Texas jumps from place to place. The Rio Grande City/Laredo example was arbitrary and likely changes virtually day to day. However, I can remember driving through Houston and feeling a highly familiar heat. By the time I reached San Antonio, the dry air had taken over and it was much more tolerable.

The bottom line is that the heat and all temperatures (even 80°F) experienced in climates with lower humidity and dew points are quite beneficent and more tolerable compared to humid climates with high dew points! You may have to live in a humid/high dewpoint area to understand this beneficent phenomena!

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

In my own case, I was told by a Phoenix native that walking out of your house is similar to the feeling you would get from going outside in the winter in the northeast and then coming inside and opening an oven and letting the hot air hit you in the face.  One thing I can say from personal experience is that 55F in the desert over the course of the winter doesn't make me nearly as cold as when it hits 55F here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Check out these overnight lows and dew points in Galveston! The current setup has the Houston Metro Area experiencing more oppressive weather than even Brownsville/further down the coast with no relief in sight.... 

June is supposed to be our wettest month... doesn't look like it's going to rain anytime soon :bemused:

Screenshot_20220615-005929.png.77338b279afd4d95d9c86d9b9c9b2263.png

Screenshot_20220615-010134.thumb.png.5a56721686c51b5d087c31de0c3b37cf.png

Screenshot_20220615-010236.thumb.png.f9aaf23c8a63479910a3337ee5baf49d.pngScreenshot_20220615-010314.thumb.png.466d031f390f7fe96594e12ec4eaa90a.png

• Like 3

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 6/13/2022 at 7:39 PM, chinandega81 said:

I suspect the dry line dances and moves around Texas, usually hugging the more coastal areas of the Rio Grande Valley. In many occasions, even McAllen will be dry while Brownsville will be humid. I think it is in a state of constant flux so it's hard to pin down just one location. That is some impressive heat and humidity thought!

Would not describe McAllen as "dry" once summer sets in...dew points consistently average in the mid 70s. It's extremely oppressive humid heat with highs in the mid-high 90s. 

I've been to most of Florida in summer and I don't think anything can compare to the heat in the lower RGV. Especially Brownsville and towards the coast. South Padre pretty much does not drop below 80F for much of July and August, 80F is also the average dew point :bemused:

• Like 3

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

WarmingCities_McAllen_TX_2.png

2016DangerDays_sanantonio_en_title_sm.jpg

2015SummerTempTrends_South_sm.jpg

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Texas is absolutely the hottest and most insufferable state in the entire nation. Forget about Death Valley, Arizona, Nevada, Florida—none of them measures up. Texas alone has the right to be known as Number One, the worst.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-hottest-place-in-the-whole-u-s-a/

Y'all can move back out of Texas to where ever ye came. Just adding to the heat ( dead serious). lol

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I have found the border region of Texas from just north of Eagle Pass to the coast to be quite humid and only hospitable in the winter.

Humidity is a big factor in being comfortable and I experience this every summer night. As the sun sets, I have dry eastern winds, which are very pleasant, even into the high 90s. About 11PM the winds shift to the south and the humidity goes way up, making it unbearable to be under canopy.

Edited by amh
  • Like 2