IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

variegated Monstera

Darold Petty

This is a start from my best form of variegated Monstera. Even the stem has variegation.   It has been in the pot for about 4 months and is well rooted. 

The roots are somewhat adhesive, so I recommend to cut off the pot when moving up a pot size or ground planting.

I will ship it, in the pot, anywhere in the 48 contiguous States, via USPS Priority mail  The price is $100 plus $20 for shipping, payment via PayPal in advance.  PM me for my actual email for payment, and don't forget to include your shipping address.   Thanks for reading !

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Amazing. Usually a scrap of a leaf and stem would be sold for twice that.  Darold — incredible plant!!!

Yes, I recognize the very low price.   The Ebay listings are off the charts!   I have a complicated attitude about plant pricing.  I have spent a fortune on plants over the last 40 years, and now that I am retired my income stream is greatly reduced, therefore I wish to get a fair value.  However, I really dislike how money distorts our hobby.  

I once sold a Pritchardia viscosa for $100,  only to have several Palmtalkers PM me that I could have priced it at $400.  So, that price was  unacceptably low.  I am mostly happy to realize half or 2/3rds of the 'retail' price.  Also, when I was a beginner  several senior palm people were most generous with both their time and plants, so let's just say I am playing it forward.  :winkie: 

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

• 2 months later...

Darold: Here's my variegated Monstera that I've been growing for more than 2 decades. There are about 4 plants stuffed in one pot. It was inexpensive when I originally bought it. It grows outdoors year round up against my sunroom (Sacramento suburbs), but the thin leaves brown on the edges during heatwaves. I also have another variegated cultivar with less variegation but thicker leaves that don't dry out on the edges.

VariegatedMonstera.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

On 6/11/2022 at 11:10 PM, Darold Petty said:

Yes, I recognize the very low price.   The Ebay listings are off the charts!   I have a complicated attitude about plant pricing.  I have spent a fortune on plants over the last 40 years, and now that I am retired my income stream is greatly reduced, therefore I wish to get a fair value.  However, I really dislike how money distorts our hobby.  

I once sold a Pritchardia viscosa for $100,  only to have several Palmtalkers PM me that I could have priced it at $400.  So, that price was  unacceptably low.  I am mostly happy to realize half or 2/3rds of the 'retail' price.  Also, when I was a beginner  several senior palm people were most generous with both their time and plants, so let's just say I am playing it forward.  :winkie: 

Thank you for doing your part to keep the plant world's pricing sane during a time of complete nuttiness! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
On 6/11/2022 at 8:10 PM, Darold Petty said:

Most importantly Darold: since you've retired, is there still a steady enough supply of 2nd generation Toyota Tacomas that only fit in your garage to last you? 

Edited by Patrick

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I have been trying to get one of those for 30 years (since I was 4) so I hate you intensely.  Monstera go from 30 centimetres to 2 metres here in less that 12 months.  Plants here have gone insane price wise lately,  so I am thinking of selling a few things from the shadehouse to stave off starvation.

• Like 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.