IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

P. Pacifica fans: post up yours

eacdmd86

What a great looking palm!  I recently added a Pacifica to my backyard after losing a young triangle to rot.  My wife and I found it scouting through a local nursery, and we immediately loved it. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites.  In the wind, the upright fronds have this crazy slinky move that sounds cool too.

Growing like crazy with four new fronds emerging.  Here are some pics of it. Would love to see some more from this community...bet there are some spectacular ones!

PXL_20220610_211919042.thumb.jpg.def14f0794023a4fa573fcbd27427f89.jpg

PXL_20220610_211832894.thumb.jpg.d6c0eec5a122cb29c5e872bea95314a0.jpg

And here it is filling out it's corner nicely. The dwarf betel nut to the right we found at the same time. I think I'm addicted

PXL_20220610_211933450.thumb.jpg.5433681b78e2a3947f18ae0c362e9b61.jpg

Edited by eacdmd86
  • Like 11

19 hours ago, eacdmd86 said:

Pacifica to my backyard after losing a young triangle to rot.  My wife and I found it scouting through a local nursery, and we immediately loved it. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites.  In the wind, the upright fronds have this crazy slinky move that sounds cool too.

Growing like crazy with four new fronds emerging.

Nice specimen.  I have always been advised that Pritchardia pacifica is a no go here or if it lives looks rather marginal in Southern California.  Hence never attempted the species.  My "substitute" is Pritchardia beccariana.  Until some our friends in Hawaii share their P pacifica's, I'll post my climate suitable substitute.

20211008-BH3I5814.jpg

• Like 7

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

6 hours ago, Tracy said:

Nice specimen.  I have always been advised that Pritchardia pacifica is a no go here or if it lives looks rather marginal in Southern California.  Hence never attempted the species.  My "substitute" is Pritchardia beccariana.  Until some our friends in Hawaii share their P pacifica's, I'll post my climate suitable substitute.

20211008-BH3I5814.jpg

I like that beccariana! What's the palm next to it?

1 hour ago, bubba said:

A local:9DC6880F-4819-4A09-82E1-F25EE8B67682.thumb.jpeg.4bbd0a227856d97820674b027ee8333a.jpeg

Wow nice! Those palms get huge. Hopefully that takes awhile

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eacdmd86 said:

I like that beccariana! What's the palm next to it?

Wow nice! Those palms get huge. Hopefully that takes awhile

Palm next to the Pritchardia in my photo is Cyphophoenix nucele. 

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hi,

I share the love for this palm but unfortunately I can't offer a larger specimen so far. I had a good looking young one

that got beetle attacked last fall and it still fights to get back on track, another young one collapsed three weeks ago -

I have no clue why - but I still got 'a backup one' hidden in my most jungle like spot and I pray for it to keep going...

pp02.thumb.jpg.22be3c0fc26ecae805c0563f63f61033.jpg

pp01.thumb.jpg.b493a21313113b5ba8e274f05c656b1d.jpg

It looks pretty good and I hope it will do well.

Lars

• Like 4

I was surprised to learn Pritchardia sp. can be a difficult grow in the area of Hawaii where my garden is, not really sure why. There are Pritchardia pacifica to be seen, of course, but not as many as you might expect. In Hilo there are some fronting the Home Depot, and in Kailua-Kona along Ali'i Drive, and a sprinkling here and there. Surprisingly, not many to be seen in the resort areas -- or maybe not so surprising; cocos dominate. You'd think some of the resorts would go all-out with all kinds of native and exotic palms, but... not so much. The Panaewa Zoo in Hilo is one of the best places to find a greater variety of palms.

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

I was surprised to learn Pritchardia sp. can be a difficult grow in the area of Hawaii where my garden is, not really sure why. There are Pritchardia pacifica to be seen, of course, but not as many as you might expect. In Hilo there are some fronting the Home Depot, and in Kailua-Kona along Ali'i Drive, and a sprinkling here and there. Surprisingly, not many to be seen in the resort areas -- or maybe not so surprising; cocos dominate. You'd think some of the resorts would go all-out with all kinds of native and exotic palms, but... not so much. The Panaewa Zoo in Hilo is one of the best places to find a greater variety of palms.

Kim, 

what you stated fits with the countless images I took randomly when I visited Hawaii in 2006 (when I was still not in palms...). Coconut palms in almost every photo :blush:, pictures of

Pritchardias were more by accident...

@eacdmd86, no hijacking inteded - I hope it is ok to post two, three Pritchardia images I took at that time for the love of this species...

Kona01.thumb.jpg.999fe4959bcb553eea34b20712679159.jpg

Kona Airport

Hilo01.thumb.jpg.1b852a20b13a56b017ff61772de10515.jpg

Hilo and...

Hilo02.thumb.jpg.00947e5d594d25d0f289221e65cc4c46.jpg

...Hilo again.

I have no idea if those ones are still there but looking at them now (with the palm googles on) makes me almost eager to grow more of them over here...

Lars

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kim said:

In a different climate zone than you but I also have issues with the native pritchardia here. The interesting thing is pollen analysis from the marsh adjacent to where I live suggests pritchardia were the dominant tree species here pre human settlement. Ive tried all of the island native species and they're all a little challenging, the only ones that grow really well here are P. remota, hillibrantii, and pacifica (none of which are native to Oahu).

• Like 5

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I don't have any pacificas personally, but I love pritchardias. First pic is from Quepos, Costa Rica, second from Princeville, Kauai.  I find it interesting that pacificas don't do so well (like everything else does) near Hilo. It seems to be the most cultivated, which makes me gravitate more towards the other.

But their distinctive dark leaves are quite pretty. Is the last pic pacifica or beccariana? I posted it as beccariana but I'm less sure now.

20190224_163404.jpg

20191006_084732.jpg

20191012_103302.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/10/2022 at 4:50 PM, eacdmd86 said:

I think I'm addicted

Welcome to the club !!!

T J 

• Like 3

T J 

Great pictures everyone!

On 6/12/2022 at 5:14 AM, palmfriend said:

Hi,

I share the love for this palm but unfortunately I can't offer a larger specimen so far. I had a good looking young one

that got beetle attacked last fall and it still fights to get back on track, another young one collapsed three weeks ago -

I have no clue why - but I still got 'a backup one' hidden in my most jungle like spot and I pray for it to keep going...

pp02.thumb.jpg.22be3c0fc26ecae805c0563f63f61033.jpg

pp01.thumb.jpg.b493a21313113b5ba8e274f05c656b1d.jpg

It looks pretty good and I hope it will do well.

Lars

Great looking young palm. That would definitely catch my eye

On 6/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, palmfriend said:

Kim, 

what you stated fits with the countless images I took randomly when I visited Hawaii in 2006 (when I was still not in palms...). Coconut palms in almost every photo :blush:, pictures of

Pritchardias were more by accident...

@eacdmd86, no hijacking inteded - I hope it is ok to post two, three Pritchardia images I took at that time for the love of this species...

Kona01.thumb.jpg.999fe4959bcb553eea34b20712679159.jpg

Kona Airport

Hilo01.thumb.jpg.1b852a20b13a56b017ff61772de10515.jpg

Hilo and...

Hilo02.thumb.jpg.00947e5d594d25d0f289221e65cc4c46.jpg

...Hilo again.

I have no idea if those ones are still there but looking at them now (with the palm googles on) makes me almost eager to grow more of them over here...

Lars

Love the size of the palm in the airport picture on the right

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hmmmm…..P. pacifica do great here in Hilo! They are used primarily in commercial plantings rather than in residential gardens. They are beautiful, but so are the native species which I prefer to plant in my garden.

The photos are P. pacifica along the main drag in Hilo, you can’t miss them.

Tim

C1737BCC-B761-403C-8908-AFC5C3AF5A2A.jpeg

345278CB-24A5-4C57-AEB5-1A8C0DCD559F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii