IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So close yet so far from 7b

MonkeDonkezz

38 minutes ago, knikfar said:

Ha, def not a problem we have here in Raleigh on the 7b/8a line. Its going to hover around and above 100f all week. 

Same here in middle TN, “7a” we do get winter weather and can dip to single digits, but we more than make up for it in the summer. Mid to high 90’s here as well all week, lows in the 70’s, Perfect Sabal growing weather

• Like 1

All in all definitely worth trying a 7B palm in 7A, there are numerous examples of healthy looking palms in Zone 7 posted on this site by users, however it is much more of a gamble, and it depends so much on your location within the US. Not all Zone 7's are created equal obviously. I have lived in Texas for numerous years, and the palms pretty much stop where Texas meets Oklahoma despite the fact that the long growing season extends farther north, and even Zone 8 DFW has a lot of beat up palms. So that is where my perspective comes from, however compared to central US it seems zone 7 in the Carolinas is relatively forgiving  to palms as evidenced by many users on this site, maybe due to the thick tree cover that protects palms from the wind, and the mountain range to the west? If you are in a northern zone 7, you won't get any growing days hardly during winter, and with cooler high temperatures combined with wind and frequent ice and freezing rain and snow and even a trachy will look beat up after a winter. 

But I guess my point is no matter what eastern zone 7 you are in, you are not immune from single digits and ice/snow, and that can defoliate/kill a lot of palms as it has in past, and with the case of slower growing species it will take them a few years to look good again. No you don't necessarily have to protect your palms in Zone 7 and probably 40% years you won't need to at all, but again its not the temp that's the issue in eastern zone 7's and your palms will just look better if you protect them from ice and snow, look at the palmettos in Atlanta versus in Macon, or look how amazing the Long Island trachies look after being protected over winter

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

@DreaminAboutPalms yup about nailed it on all accounts! Don’t want to jinx anyone lol, if Texas can get slammed as bad as it did by cold winter weather for sure any zone 7 can get a brutal winter which may drop well below freezing and wipe stuff out. Knock on wood x 3

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@DreaminAboutPalms yup about nailed it on all accounts! Don’t want to jinx anyone lol, if Texas can get slammed as bad as it did by cold winter weather for sure any zone 7 can get a brutal winter which may drop well below freezing and wipe stuff out. Knock on wood x 3

Lets not forget the winter of 2018 here in the Carolinas. A week below freezing and a low of 4f here in Raleigh. A low of 0f closer to the coast. 

• Like 1

Thank you everybody for the responses! I sadly do not have much space to plant inground, so I am mostly limited to pots. My front yard has a large Japanese maple that has large roots and gives off a lot of shade. The soil probably acidic due to the swamp near me. There is also a sewer hole and a spot of land that is brown and has nothing growing on it. It seems slightly clay-like.  I could probably fit one large palm, maybe two, and two small ones. Can you give a palm winter protection while it is in a pot? And any recommendations for palms?

1 hour ago, MonkeDonkezz said:

Thank you everybody for the responses! I sadly do not have much space to plant inground, so I am mostly limited to pots. My front yard has a large Japanese maple that has large roots and gives off a lot of shade. The soil probably acidic due to the swamp near me. There is also a sewer hole and a spot of land that is brown and has nothing growing on it. It seems slightly clay-like.  I could probably fit one large palm, maybe two, and two small ones. Can you give a palm winter protection while it is in a pot? And any recommendations for palms?

IF a plant or palm is in a pot, then you have to take your zone and subtract a zone or two. There are no palms that will survive in a pot in zone 5/6. You would need to wrap the pot with xmas lights and cover it. Sabals do not like to be in pots, and they are the most cold hardy next to needle palms. So I think you are limited to needle palms for pots. Otherwise. Trachycarpus Fortunei is your other option if your willing to protect it. Id put the pot right up against the house, south or southwest facing.

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

2 hours ago, MonkeDonkezz said:

I could probably fit one large palm, maybe two, and two small ones. Can you give a palm winter protection while it is in a pot? And any recommendations for palms?

In a pot you will need to bring it inside some during winter.   Under 25Fish (Safest) most pots will start to endanger palm roots from freezing.   

For inground I recommend a Trachycarpus fortunei and a couple Sabal minors 3 feet from it.  You'll probably need to protect the fortunei some.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Here in high elevation zone 6 ( Utah )

I have to protect my Trachy, Washys ( 2 ), and my Sabal Minor.

I cover them December to March and use heat cables around the trunk and spear.

There are many weeks in the winter i can uncover them between cold snaps.

I think our high solar radiation levels keep the palms going.

Our avg daily temperature swing is 35-45 degrees, though a 50-60 degree swing isnt uncommon.

This morning was 41, with Mid 90s expected this afternoon.

I am tempted to try not protecting my trachy this winter and see how it fares.

I am constanlty amazed at how adaptive these plants are.

Palm are truly gladiators of the plant world.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Gator said:

Here in high elevation zone 6 ( Utah )

I have to protect my Trachy, Washys ( 2 ), and my Sabal Minor.

I cover them December to March and use heat cables around the trunk and spear.

There are many weeks in the winter i can uncover them between cold snaps.

I think our high solar radiation levels keep the palms going.

Our avg daily temperature swing is 35-45 degrees, though a 50-60 degree swing isnt uncommon.

This morning was 41, with Mid 90s expected this afternoon.

I am tempted to try not protecting my trachy this winter and see how it fares.

I am constanlty amazed at how adaptive these plants are.

Palm are truly gladiators of the plant world.

You could always pick up another windmill and use that as the tester to go unprotected. That way you don’t take a chance of losing your other one. 

• Like 3

You will likely have better luck with Trachycarpus than any of the Sabals, owing to your long cool period. 

Edited by SeanK
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 9:28 AM, Jtee said:

You could always pick up another windmill and use that as the tester to go unprotected. That way you don’t take a chance of losing your other one. 

This is a great Idea....... Im gonna try it !

Im in zone 8A Georgia, quite close to 7B. I stick with zone 8 and under palms. We have some really nice Trachycarpus, Butia and Sabals scattered all around the area. I grow my plants understanding one winter I may need to protect them, but I haven't yet had to in the past 7 years or so.  It's way too much work if I would have to protect things every winter...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPalms said:

Im in zone 8A Georgia, quite close to 7B. I stick with zone 8 and under palms. We have some really nice Trachycarpus, Butia and Sabals scattered all around the area. I grow my plants understanding one winter I may need to protect them, but I haven't yet had to in the past 7 years or so.  It's way too much work if I would have to protect things every winter...

Trunking Butias and sabals are not worth even trying to protect annually in my opinion. You'd have to trim off half the fronds to cover the crown, and they aren't exactly quick growers so they would never even have a chance to grow a full crown before it's winter again. Its a different story with washingtonias which will put out 20+ fronds a year 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Thanks for posting the extreme monthly lows in OKC. I was in college in Norman from 1984-1988, and I remember some serious cold events. A few times 6+ inches of snow fell on top of 1/2+ inch of ice. Up and down temperatures from Oct or Nov to March, highly variable humidity, and so much wind. Good thing I was tough being from Denver, originally. Yet I remember happy Sabal minor and Trachy palms at the Okla City Zoo.

My 21 years in ABQ, the weather (especially winters) were usually far more mellow, without the icy cold or sultry edges of a typical year in central OK. I thought 2011 got below -10 in OKC, but the -14 in 2021 made that a non-issue. Definitely a zone 7a, unless the last decade warmed them up...probably doubtful.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have 2 Sabal's 1 14ft and 1 12 ft growing on long Island and just with the June through September heat they have grown very well. I'm on the North Shore of Suffolk County on Long Island. (Zone 7a New York) I've also had a Chinese fan palm in ground for almost 5 years, 1 Washy, and 2 Trachy's, 1 9ft and the other about 3ft. We really don't see a killing temp for the Sabal outside of Mid Jan-March. But I box my Sabal's early November to be safe since it's not really worth it to wait since they won't grow anyway. 

72900F62-43A7-4F6F-B143-EEA75A6DF566.jpeg

496F419E-500F-4155-BABC-6ADCD69FE84A.jpeg

Edited by Holloway727
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1